Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Overdriven

Warhead Gas to Electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Warhead Gas to Electric

Hi all,

I just bought a 1/8 scale Warhead rolling chassis, and am wanting to convert it to brushless. I have no clue how to go about it. Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 12-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

I am confused on how to mount the motor (2028 Extreme Castle Creations), how to efficiently use the disc brakes while still having the option to reverse, how to wire everything up to the receiver, and possibly change gear (2speed with reverse)
Old 12-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Also how to calibrate?
Old 12-30-2017, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

probably need to do something like this...
Attached Thumbnails Warhead Gas to Electric-attachment-1.jpg   Warhead Gas to Electric-attachment.jpg  
Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

so no tranny?
Old 12-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

No, just like a 1/8 Buggy or Truggy....

unless you did this conversion with the motor adapter, but it puts the motor high up, and really does not help packaging.
Attached Thumbnails Warhead Gas to Electric-70380.jpg  
Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Tech Rookie

is there any way to keep the tranny and breaks
Old 01-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

First let me discourage you from tackling this project at all. I love doing conversions with my own home made parts and that’s what this will require. But I’ve done enough conversions on old, discontinued vehicles to know what a pain it is when something breaks. After spending the time on the conversion you don’t want to just toss it in the trash, but if you can’t find the part anywhere the only other option is buying a parts vehicle. Now that cheap project isn’t so cheap anymore. I don’t know if you’re aware but brushless is really hard on the drivetrain and if you can’t get parts you better make sure you shim everything to get rid of any slop.

What are your goals for the truck? Do you have that special of a use case in mind that you need a coke can size 1/5 scale 2028 motor, 2 speed trans and mechanical brakes? Because if you’re going to drive the truck like 99% of us, your best bet is a center diff conversion (pictured above), a 50t spur on that center diff and a normal 1/8 sized motor around 1500kv. With a little shopping around you can find the mount and center diff for about $50. This setup also gives you some room inside the chassis to mount a battery pack. Let the esc and motor donthe braking and you’ll have enough gearing options to run 4s or 6s.

Whether you keep the trans or not, no matter what you’re going to need to make parts. Have a look at the picture of the center diff conversion above. See that plate the center diff is sitting on? You need to make a similar plate and attach it to the side rails for either the center diff or as a place to mount the motor behind the stock trans. If you make a plate like this behind the trans you can then use ring mounts like the HPI Savage Flux uses. You’ll also have to mount the batteries on the outside of the chassis like the Flux since there won’t be any room inside the chassis. You’ll also have to measure and see if there’s enough room for a motor behind the trans.
TIME MACHINE likes this.