• 1 Post By Suzukee
  • 2 Post By rhodopsine

Mugen or Yokomo (2wd)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default Mugen or Yokomo (2wd)

Hey folks
I am considering buying a new 2wd for our astro local track. The dilemma is between Mugen and Yokomo...
What do you think? (maybe someone had both and can advise)

Thanks

Last edited by kavee; 06-10-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:29 AM
Tech Adept

Almost always the same question and the same answer. Choose whichever brand has more support/usage in your area. These cars are almost equal in all areas.
I personally use Xray XB2 24 on indoor astro and had great success with it.
kavee likes this.
Old 06-11-2024, 12:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you are already experienced in the RC world, I'd recommend to pick whatever you like most. I personally run Yokomo for the attention to detail and quality and finish of the brand. Between those two, as the Yokomo is manufactured in Japan, I'd go for Yokomo. I don't care about parts support as I must bring my own stuff everywhere. I've seen many associated guys break a part that no one had...
kavee, OffRoadJunkie and River19 like this.
Old 06-11-2024, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

Yokomo for me, amazing quality, parts support is good and loads of set up and support out there, the new SO 2.0 is an awesome car
kavee and River19 like this.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Between the two I would go Yokomo as well. Having to be your own parts support isn't that big a deal, I do it for each of my cars.
kavee and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks
Old 06-11-2024, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fwiw I love my yoko yz-2t. Nvr driven or seen a mugen up close and personal. Just in a box. Lol
d
kavee likes this.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

The Yokomo SO2.0 is awesome! So nice to drive, best quality, high attention to detail!
kavee likes this.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Mugen come with soft shock springs, I've heard they're for dirt setup as the kit accommodate both type of surfaces.. So may depends on grip of the track you are going to run it on. Mugen option springs doesn't come cheap, they say. Although I know the Yokomo SO2 also has softer front springs as compared to say, the B6.4 and B7.
The Mugen also has 13mm 4 hole pistons, vs the Yokomo's traditional 2 holes. IMHO 2 hole 13mm pistons are not optimum on some type of tracks, if you're picky with suspensions.
Drive wise, it's a personal thing but I personally liked the Mugen (stock car, not mine) better.
kavee likes this.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Both are certainly high quality kits.

Now, the Yokomo SO 2.0 is a refinement of the SO 1.0, which was a refinement of the DTM 3.1... So I would think the Yokomo is a more mature platform compared to the Mugen which is the first iteration of the car. Both are capable cars in the right hands, but you'll probably find more setup help with the Yokomo as it's been on the market for longer and has, in my opinion, a larger support base. For these reasons, my personal choice would be Yokomo, but that's not to say the Mugen is a bad choice.

Martin Paradis
petersen114 and kavee like this.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rhodopsine
Both are certainly high quality kits.

Now, the Yokomo SO 2.0 is a refinement of the SO 1.0, which was a refinement of the DTM 3.1... So I would think the Yokomo is a more mature platform compared to the Mugen which is the first iteration of the car. Both are capable cars in the right hands, but you'll probably find more setup help with the Yokomo as it's been on the market for longer and has, in my opinion, a larger support base. For these reasons, my personal choice would be Yokomo, but that's not to say the Mugen is a bad choice.

Martin Paradis
Yokomo YZ-2 platform and its evolution and new Mugen is developed by the same person.