Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL >

Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would love to come out, but who's going to manage it? What happened? Who left, and who's still there? There needs to be a crew in place to maintain the track, manage frequency's, marshall, coordinate the races, etc...
Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hi Randy,

I'd still come out this Sunday if the doors are open. Heck, I'll just marshall myself. I really got to try out this new oval chassis I had planned for racing there.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Default pay back

ill be sending out all membership money,as soon as i get the paper work.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Thingdoer
I would love to come out, but who's going to manage it? What happened? Who left, and who's still there? There needs to be a crew in place to maintain the track, manage frequency's, marshall, coordinate the races, etc...
None of the staff is there. Nor do any of the staff support the owner of this facility.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well that sux. I am glad I did not get to excited over this one.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default YOUR RIGHT CHICAGOKEN

ITS ABOUT MONEY THING IS WE HAD THE MONEY
Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Default WANTED

EVERY THING YOU GUYS WANT,,I WANTED . ANY THOUGHTS?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

So is it open for somebody to pick up the pieces and try to make it take off?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So is it open for somebody to pick up the pieces and try to make it take off?
If so, it would be nice to know what broke down in the recent attempt so that the same cause might not be repeated.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Right, the problem is, there's two sides to every story. It's best to hear both sides.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xutmad
Well that sux. I am glad I did not get to excited over this one.
Sad part is that I did get excited about this and threw alot of my time and effort into this. The entire staff was all volunteers. The entire staff was there to create a fun environment for the hobbist.

The staff was actually all at the barn last night until 10:15pm setting up for tonight when we received a email from the owner telling us all to get all of our stuff and to get the F* out of his barn and that we were all fired because his motherinlaw walked in the barn and asked a few of the staff what we were upto.. and they said just prepping the track.. blah blah blah. because of that he said we were all fired and the track was closed. This was about the 5th time the owner indicated to me that he was closing the track.

Some people are about all money, some people are about the hobby, and some people are about fun.

The staff was about making a safe, fun environment for the hobbist. Unfortunetly the staff was USED and after picking everyones brains and working everyone to the bone the people who did the work were all kicked to the curb. Rusty, Anna, Chris, Tim, Mike, and Brad you should feel proud of yourselves for putting together something so nice in such a short period of time.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
We've built a "reliable" program at Strictly in Norridge. That's NW.

It's not about huevos, it's about money. You could have huge balls but without money it doesn't even get off the ground. RC racing doesn't create a profit otherwise you'd see tracks. Al's and Venture have been in the biz a long time and other than the RSJ they've never created a racing program. Think about it...they have the customers but they don't have tracks.........
Hey Kenji,

I didn't mean to disrespect Strictly. I've never been there. The thing is, I don't have a 1/18 scale and think they are too small. "The island in the city," is technically surrounded by Chicago on all sides and it is still a trip to the city for me. I live in Batavia so West or Northwest to me would be some place West of Downers Grove and between I88 and I90. My wife grew up in Norridge and I used to frequent Stanton Hobbies when we were dating back in the late 80s and early 90s, so its familiar to me. I'm seriously thinking of picking up an 1/18th scaler or a mini and making the trek out there just to have a place to race. However, time constraints of grown-up life make it difficult to travel more than about 45 minutes to a track and I think that applies to many would-be casual racers like myself.

My reference to the "cajones" was a little about the money. What I really mean is that it would take guts to figure out a way to make a business work that historically, breaks even at best. Jim Burnicke did it at Radio Active, he was there for over 10 years. I think the reason he eventually closed had more to do with a difficult land lord.

Barnyard had me all hyped up to start racing again and now this. There is a lot of empy warehouse space here in Batavia and I'm thinking of surveying a few with the idea of a "club" that rents space. I know its all been tried before, but I'm going to look into new ways to approach it. If I chicken out before trying it out, you may see me at Strictly this winter with a Tamiya mini.

-PK
Old 11-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

SavageChick, OvalMan, Owner, please check PMs.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

BeemerFan,

Strictly is a wonderful crowd/crew.

My outdoor track is probably too far west for you during my summer season. I have this nice building (click on some links to get to pictures at www.zeromph.com that I could put a track in, but even I don't want to lose the money I already charge for renting it out in the winter for storage. I have been puzzling over that for a while.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
BeemerFan,

Strictly is a wonderful crowd/crew.

My outdoor track is probably too far west for you during my summer season. I have this nice building (click on some links to get to pictures at www.zeromph.com that I could put a track in, but even I don't want to lose the money I already charge for renting it out in the winter for storage. I have been puzzling over that for a while.
Bob what is the size of your building? Looks like it would be perfect for a carpet track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.