Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL >

Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your looking for something to do today come and check out our track. Todays hours are 11am - 8pm.

Membership Fee $5.00
Track Fee: $15.00

Always check out website http://www.barnyardrcraceway.com for the latest times and info.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I can't make it out this weekend but my vote for an electric only night would be Fridays or every other Friday. Racing every week has become impossible in my "grown-up" life (ah for the days I could race twice, make a separate practice session, tear down and rebuild 3 cars all in the same week!). The every other week approach worked for me this past summer. Only problem is if you miss one week, you go nearly a month with no racing.

The class I'd most like to see is an "unlimited" dirt oval class where 1/10 electric full body cars can compete using any motor / battery combination. Class could include 2 and 4 wheel drive off-road buggy conversions, purpose built oval chassis cars, and touring cars running late model or wedge bodies. If the class were big enough, you could break-out the car types, but for starters an all-inclusive approach might work best.

Last edited by beemerfan; 11-02-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by beemerfan
I can't make it out this weekend but my vote for an electric only night would be Fridays or every other Friday. Racing every week has become impossible in my "grown-up" life (ah for the days I could race twice, make a separate practice session, tear down and rebuild 3 cars all in the same week!). The every other week approach worked for me this past summer. Only problem is if you miss one week, you go nearly a month with no racing.

The class I'd most like to see is an "unlimited" dirt oval class where 1/10 electric full body cars can compete using any motor / battery combination. Class could include 2 and 4 wheel drive off-road buggy conversions, purpose built oval chassis cars, and touring cars running late model or wedge bodies. If the class were big enough, you could break-out the car types, but for starters an all-inclusive approach might work best.

Sounds like a good idea. I like the unlimited part. As for electric, do you think we could get at least 15 guys to show up for it? It seems like the majority are all nitro. Will will be having a Slash stock, and slash open modified class.

Actual racing will be a couple of weeks off yet. But, we did order a ilap system last night and I will be downloading the alleycat software. If anyone wants to order a personal transponder let me know.

Kim
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does AMB transponders work with the iLap system? That's a consideration because most of us with personal transponders use AMB's.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The AMBs and the iLap are not the same, so not compatible. Good news is that the iLap transponders are way more afforable, plus much smaller and lighter.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Looks like they are $38 ea. for the transponders here. Not too bad.
http://www.rclapcounter.com/Order.html
Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
Looks like they are $38 ea. for the transponders here. Not too bad.
http://www.rclapcounter.com/Order.html
That sounds like the price he quoted, I knew it was under 40.00. If you want me to pre-order one, and have it at the track for your pick up. Let me know.

Also.. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who decided to come out this weekend and check us out and to everyone else.. lol what are you waiting for .. its a fun, friendly, barnyard raceway! Anyways I hope to meet more of you soon!

Kim
Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SavageChick
As for electric, do you think we could get at least 15 guys to show up for it? It seems like the majority are all nitro. Will will be having a Slash stock, and slash open modified class. Kim
This is a bit of a "chicken and egg" thing. If you have an electric night, I'm sure you will get some turn-out. However, you may not be getting many right now because the place is so full of Nitro smoke. I was going to make more of an effort to get there this weekend, then remembered how much I didn't like the exhaust smoke and decided I had other things to work on.

The thing to do might be to have an "experimental" electric-only night. Announce it well in advance, play it up on the message boards (including this one) and to everyone that is coming on a regular basis. Maybe even print up a flyer and post it at the local hobby stores. Make it free the first time like you did for your opening weekend. I know a lot of Nitro guys have an electric or two stashed away somewhere. If you get a good turn-out, try and get some commitment from those that participate. If no one but me shows up, the interest just isn't there and it would be best business-wise to avoid an electric-only night.

I think part of the problem is the current state of this hobby. (okay, now I'm going to sound like an old school snob a bit ) Everything is RTR and RCers are basically playing with sophisticated toys. There is a delay between a manufacturer producing a ready to run that people want and the "hobbyists" just aren't there to create demand for a class that doesn't already exist. Take my "unlimited" electric class proposal. The only RTR oval car available right now in 1/10 electric is the Losi Slider (you could include these in the class as well). What I proposed requires modifying some other form of car to meet the class standards or investing $$$ in a niche chassis. A touring car would be the easiest, because it really only requires a new body. The point is, there aren't enough racers in the RTR generation that have the skills to do this or are willing to invest the time despite a potential interest in the class. Its simply become "too hard" to make the effort and its easiest to just go to the store, get an RTR, then race it in an exclusive class.

Enough of the snob talk. I'm going to see if I can generate some interest among the people that I know for an electric-only night if you guys have one. I'll race in whatever class we can come up with. I don't own a Slash, and don't want to buy one, but if that is what it takes, who knows... Hopefully, we can at least get an off-road truck class going. That is traditional style R/C stadium trucks like the Traxxass Rustler, Losi XXX-T, Associated T-4 etc. It might be best to keep the class as open to all types of setup for starters and break it out into Stock, Modified, etc. if there is enough interest. You could even go as far as throwing all types of 1/10 electric vehicle into one class to get participation up. Hobbytown St. Charles sponsored the Elburn Days race this past summer and that's what they did. It turned out to be one of the biggest classes in the race including stadium trucks, 2WD and 4WD buggies. I think the interest is there, you just have to reach out and find it.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

I agree with beemer about being a chicken and egg. Sometimes it might take 4-5 racers showing up, then word gets out and others show up. Also, I don't know what percentage of your market is like me -- not willing to endure nitro fumes. Maybe you could do a survey?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess I'll throw out my perspective also...

As far as nitro vs. electric, I prefer electric, and am slightly bothered by nitro fumes indoors, but realistically, anything short of a brusless 1/8th scale conversion or e-revo is not going to fair very well on that track. Granted my 1/18th is tiny, but even with maxed out suspension and a set of dirt hawgs, it was getting stuck in the loose dirt. The inside was a little easier to navigate, but I'd end up picking stones out of my gears every couple minutes. I had the impression that the limestone was going to be a hard surface, but it was more of a gravel.

beemerfan,
I think that you have some good ideas on classes, but rather that say a specific type of body or car is required, why not just say "electric open" / "Gas open" for now and as the classes grow, split them up in a way that suits the turnout. Maybe it would be monster truck and buggy for the gassers, and 2wd and 4wd for the electrics... I would let the turnout dictate the classes right now rather than the other way around.

In terms of the track itself, I don't know if there are any easy ways of having the dirt stay together any better with the abuse the 1/8th scales dish out, but a more hard packed track may lend itself better to a larger variety of cars. Right now I have an RC18t, TC3 and B3 that I dug out of the garage, and I'm wondering how even the B3 would do later in the day. Also, I think that a harder packed dirt would be at least as suitable to the semi-onroad type of cars. The traction would be comparable and it would be easier on the cars that don't have as good of gear protection. Maybe a hard packed, smooth dirt oval around the outside, and an infield with some jumps, berms, etc.. Just move a tube out of the way and you've got 2 tracks in one (and leave both options open during practice) Again, I'm not sure how easy it would be to keep the dirt together better, but it would also help keep it from accumulating against the pipes and make it less likely for the guys roll down the pipes and catch a stake.

I think there is a lot of potential, but as we can see, everyone has their preferences of what they like and how to do it, so it'll be a learning process. I give everyone involved a lot of credit for putting their time, money, effort, etc into this to make a fun time for a lot of us. I'm looking forward to getting the buggy together and giving that a try too.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

it was getting stuck in the loose dirt
Now you are tempting me to bring out my xxx-4. It loves loose dirt.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Got a little Captain in ya??

Gettting the I lap system was a great choice. I'm not sure how it works but I've heard of tracks useing sugar in the dirt to help it adheer together better to create a harder surface for oval or SODA sprayed down again to help adheer. Not sure with the aglime/dirt combo you have. Looking foward to visiting soon. electric gets my vote for indoor, the amount of makeup air you would have to bring in and heat, then exhaust back out would be pointless. If done right. 0.02$
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

There are many dirt treatments. Be careful, though, as there are always tradeoffs. Next spring, I plan to till in some sawdust into my track's awesome loose dirt to help with water retention without creating a hard, tough surface.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Electric vs Nitro

For what its worth,
A few years ago I raced regularly at the Dome, an indoor golf driving range in wausau wi. It was a big inflatable dome, with a constant supply of new air being pumped in from the bottom and vented out at the top. It was HUGE! They started out racing nitro and electric, but after the first race night so many people got sick from the fumes they had to do something. What they did is limit the amount of nitro classes that run back to back. Eventually the amount of nitros fell off and most people started racing electric trucks.
I remember having such a bad headache that day after that first race, wow.
After they limited the amount of nitro classes racing the air quality was tolerable.
Electric only racing really would be healthier thou. Ive included a few pics of the dome from a few years ago;
Larry.
Attached Thumbnails Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL-dome-b.jpg   Barnyard Rc Raceway - NEW INDOOR RC TRACK - ELGIN, IL-dome-c.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

...anything short of a brusless 1/8th scale conversion or e-revo is not going to fair very well on that track.
I have to disagree here. I had my XXX-T out the first Saturday night and it handled fine. I had to raise my suspension a bit and I could have used a set of step pins in the rear, but I still got comments about how fast it was. I think anyone driving a brushless 4-wheel buggy will kick up a spectacular roost. Cars just have to be set up differently than they would on hard-packed tracks. 1/18 scale will probably be limited to the oval.

...but I'd end up picking stones out of my gears every couple minutes. I had the impression that the limestone was going to be a hard surface, but it was more of a gravel.
Yep! I'm planning on replacing a spur and pinion every few weeks but heck, it would be worth it to see this place take off.

I think that you have some good ideas on classes, but rather that say a specific type of body or car is required, why not just say "electric open" / "Gas open" for now and as the classes grow, split them up in a way that suits the turnout. Maybe it would be monster truck and buggy for the gassers, and 2wd and 4wd for the electrics... I would let the turnout dictate the classes right now rather than the other way around.
I think I was slowly coming to this conclusion myself. Once people see full-body 4 wheelers with air dams drifting around that track though, they are going to want one!

I think there is a lot of potential, but as we can see, everyone has their preferences of what they like and how to do it, so it'll be a learning process. I give everyone involved a lot of credit for putting their time, money, effort, etc into this to make a fun time for a lot of us. I'm looking forward to getting the buggy together and giving that a try too.
Here, here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.