Wiki Posts
Search

Corona 2.4GHz diy kit - convert old radios to 2.4GHz

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote
maybe you should look for the PPM signal out of your module and the PPM signal in of the tx. then power it up taking note of the voltage requirement of the module and the voltage of the tx pcb where you will be tapping the power for the module.
The PPM will come out of the Tx and into the module, but I agree you will have to map the pins out of the transmitter that the module came from unless you have a diagram of the pins on the module. An oscilloscope would help if you know someone who has one.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

i really have no idea on how to do it. i got the hardware but i dont know how to do it. if any of you guys have tried doing it to their Helios please post. or if any one knows the signal on the pins of the helios and spektrum please help.

thank you very much.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Corona RX

Guys.

Do you guys able to use 5 cell Nimh nominal voltage of 6V with the corona rx on CR3D-2?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pirty
i really have no idea on how to do it. i got the hardware but i dont know how to do it. if any of you guys have tried doing it to their Helios please post. or if any one knows the signal on the pins of the helios and spektrum please help.

thank you very much.
What encoder chip is in there? See if there is a Black rectangular chip with OKI 9362 printed on it. Your PPM signal will come off of that.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Corona DIY transmitter Binding QUESTION

Just returning to R/C after about 20 years, also new to electrics.

Purchased a Corona 2.4 DIY conversion from a Fla supplier. Came with scant instructuions and NO SUPPORT, (just rude comments by e-mail) .

Three questions:

!. Says that if the Xmtr bind button is held down more that 3 seconds, the ID will randomize. Since what can happen, will happen, (hasn't yet) how do I regane functionality if I inadvertantly trip up here?????

!!. Says to set failsafe, place transmitter failsafe switch in position and press rcvr bind button. What does this mean??? Do I place all transmitter sticks where I would want them should I loose link with the receiver, or is just the throttle, or is this something else?

Also for this step, do I turn the receiver on before or after the transmitter???

!!!. While on this, If it is just the throttle, Which channel is considered the throttle channel???? (It used to be Ch 4 in the old days).

!V. And lastly, the receiver has 2 antenna wires. How should they be arrayed??

In the old days of one antenna, it was common to have it exit behind the wing and go towards the top of the tail. With two, would one be as before and the other towards one wing tip, or is there a better way such as one going towards each elevator end???? I understand to keep them away from metal and that things like the engine will shield the antenna (ie., VERY line of sight).

Thanks in advance, I have further questions about electrics for later.

Larry

Last edited by Larrytoo; 11-10-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Larrytoo
Just returning to R/C after about 20 years, also new to electrics.

Purchased a Corona 2.4 DIY conversion from a Fla supplier. Came with scant instructuions and NO SUPPORT, (just rude comments by e-mail) .

Three questions:

!. Says that if the Xmtr bind button is held down more that 3 seconds, the ID will randomize. Since what can happen, will happen, (hasn't yet) how do I regane functionality if I inadvertantly trip up here?????

!!. Says to set failsafe, place transmitter failsafe switch in position and press rcvr bind button. What does this mean??? Do I place all transmitter sticks where I would want them should I loose link with the receiver, or is just the throttle, or is this something else?

Also for this step, do I turn the receiver on before or after the transmitter???

!!!. While on this, If it is just the throttle, Which channel is considered the throttle channel???? (It used to be Ch 4 in the old days).

!V. And lastly, the receiver has 2 antenna wires. How should they be arrayed??

In the old days of one antenna, it was common to have it exit behind the wing and go towards the top of the tail. With two, would one be as before and the other towards one wing tip, or is there a better way such as one going towards each elevator end???? I understand to keep them away from metal and that things like the engine will shield the antenna (ie., VERY line of sight).

Thanks in advance, I have further questions about electrics for later.

Larry

Welcome to RCtech Larry.

I am not really sure what it means if the ID randomizes but if it does I would just repeat the binding procedure. Do you have this piece of gear installed yet? Did you find your PPM signal out of your transmitter?

How long is your receiver antennae. If it is short I would just use a small aerial and stand it up.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Corona DIY 2.4 conversion

Not installed yet since I like to have most questions answered befor heating the soldering iron.

BTW, in another post I noticed a question about soldering the antenna to the board. The pad labled ANT is for the center conductor of the antenna coax while the larger pad is for the shield. If the coax is used without "grounding" the shield, the shield also radiates which MAY reduce the range or even overheat the transmitter.

The PPM line is not hard to find on HeathKit transmitters since it goes through the buddy switch, besides, I have the building instructions so full schematics.

The antennas that were attached to the receiver (2 of them) are about 8 inches long.

Any ideas about the correct order of powering up? Both normally and when setting the failsafe function???

Larry