Wiki Posts
Search

Mushroom Bowl MBRC 2011 Offroad Racing -- Kennett Square, PA

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redtoolguy
I was up there the other week with my box stock Slash 2wd. I am looking at driving Sportsman class, as I am a new racer. With the lengthening of the track, I am worried that my 7 cell 3amp NiMH will either run out or have voltage drop off too soon. Can I upgrade to a Lipo battery and still stay in the sportsman? And I guess the track will have a new surface, is there a specific tire that is recomended?
Thanks
Andrew
Battery size is more about run time, not really track size. The electric classes run 6 minutes. You can upgrade to LiPo and still run sportsman. I would recommend upgrading anyway as LiPo's are more stable batteries, NiMH packs will quickly "burn out" when being used 3-4 times a day.

Tires should be the same as last year (and what is typical at other tracks), as I mentioned, we are ordering a large stock of JConcepts tires for usage at the track, so you will be able to get what you need. But, if you're going to run the box stock SC class, then you're going to only be able to run what comes with one of the RTR kits.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Tech Adept

as far as box stock class tires go the Losi RTR tires, i believe are called Eclipse, are the best stock tire. the look like an older version of the proline bow tie.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So the heats are based on how many laps you run in a set time, not how long it takes you to run a set amount of laps?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

correct. you are given 6 minutes to do the most amount of laps the fastest you can. During the qualifiers everyone is on their own 6 minute clock so just because you pass someone doesn't mean you just moved up a position. its easier to explain in person lol. but the mains are by position. everyone is racing each other at that point, not the clock. sorry if i confused you but i can explain more on Sat if you are coming out. Ray might chime in with his 2 cents too
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mxfastguy35
correct. you are given 6 minutes to do the most amount of laps the fastest you can. During the qualifiers everyone is on their own 6 minute clock so just because you pass someone doesn't mean you just moved up a position. its easier to explain in person lol. but the mains are by position. everyone is racing each other at that point, not the clock. sorry if i confused you but i can explain more on Sat if you are coming out. Ray might chime in with his 2 cents too
That's basically right...

For the qualifiers, everyone has 6 minutes after they cross the start/finish line to run as many laps as they can within that 6 minutes. After the 6 minutes is up, everyone finishes the lap they are on (cross the start/finish line one more time).

Typically, racers space themselves out at the beginning of qualifiers so they aren't getting tangled up as much. This is what we would call "racing the clock" ... you're more interested in doing as many laps as possible, not necessarily racing anyone else on the track.

Position is based on who completed the most laps quickest. Two people may complete 13 laps, for instance, so then it goes by who did it in the shortest amount of time. If someone does 13 laps in 6:13 vs 13 in 6:05, the guy with the 6:05 time would be in first place.

The best lap/time for each racer is used to compute the starting position in the main. The main may be 10 minutes long. The difference is that everyone starts at the horn (not when they cross the start/finish line), and everyone goes until the 10 minutes are complete.

Last edited by kuruption; 04-06-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for explaining. I was going to buy a Lipo (or 2) and wanted to make sure I could still stay in the beginer class. Do I need to stay with the original body, or can I use an aftermarket one? One of the times I was there, two guys were running the same truck and I couldn't tell them apart. And when I was running outside, I accidentally started following/driving the wrong truck on the back straight (oops).
I wanted to get a Raptor body, a C/K, or a Bronco body.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for explaining. I was going to buy a Lipo (or 2) and wanted to make sure I could still stay in the beginer class. Do I need to stay with the original body, or can I use an aftermarket one? One of the times I was there, two guys were running the same truck and I couldn't tell them apart. And when I was running outside, I accidentally started following/driving the wrong truck on the back straight (oops).
I wanted to get a Raptor body, a C/K, or a Bronco body.
Changing the body is perfectly acceptable. The only issue is with the components that would change the way the truck handles or the speed.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry to keep asking questions, but qguite frankly I feel less intimidated typing than asking in person.
Can I "tinker" with the suspension? I mean adding preloads, moving the shocks in or out, changing the weight of the shock oil? I made some changes before based on internet reading that the Slash is setup to run on road out of the box and I want to change them back if I have to to stay legal.
Andrew
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry to keep asking questions, but qguite frankly I feel less intimidated typing than asking in person.
Can I "tinker" with the suspension? I mean adding preloads, moving the shocks in or out, changing the weight of the shock oil? I made some changes before based on internet reading that the Slash is setup to run on road out of the box and I want to change them back if I have to to stay legal.
Andrew
It may be the way I explained it.

The idea of the class it to ensure the guy with the deep pockets can't just out buy the guy who doesn't want to spend a lot. In other words, no "upgrades" or "hop ups" to the cars are allowed, any parts that make the car lighter or handle better. Must be all stock parts, without modification.

Any changes to the vehicles that are available out of the box, such as suspension position, preloads, camber, caster, etc. are allowed.

Basically, the only thing you can replace on the truck would be the body, receiver, transmitter and whatever parts from any of the RTR kits.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Will the track be ready by Saturday?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

And how about that bathroom?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
Will the track be ready by Saturday?
Yes, it will be ready for Scooby to actually perform some physical labor and help move some dirt around.

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
And how about that bathroom?
Yes.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Bowls Site?

The Bowls' own website has been in maintainence mode for quite some time now, whats up?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Enzok
The Bowls' own website has been in maintainence mode for quite some time now, whats up?
The website has been in working order, the forums were offline. Sorry about that, it's corrected now.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Opening Day payout race has been posted! Every A-main driver gets a payout, more info one this thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...yout-race.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.