Search
Like Tree836Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally posted by MARSHALL LAW

IN MY OPINION SPEC CLASS RACING IS THE PUREST FORM OF RACING IN THE TAMIYA CHAMPIONSHIP. STOCK 540 MOTOR GOOD BATTERY AN DRIVING SKILLS, WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER LOVE YOU GOD BLESS.
It should be pretty obvious by now that I'm new to the TCS thing...but didn't they used to just have GT-1, GT-2 and spec for touring cars?

Now they have 1, 2, 3 and Spec...Spec Exhibition now being for novices, right? It would seem to me that GT-3 has more or less replaced Spec for the more experienced people.

There should have probably been more of the slower GT-3 people in TL-01 (like the people in the "D" main maybe...) and maybe you (and/or me next time) should have raced "GT-3".

I raced it for a couple reasons:

1) I am a novice. I've raced novice for 6-8 months and I've never won a thing besides raffle prizes. I TQ'd in novice once at R/C Heat and got 2nd in the Novice "B" at SoCal once...pretty impressive, eh? Oh yeah...I got 4th in Rookie at the Riverside HP race.

2) I'm broke-ass from the "big" car. I have a total of $135(inc. tax) in the rolling chassis (kit $82, bearings $13, turnbuckles $6, shocks $24, inserts $11). The radio is borrowed and the servo came from an old car. I did mention that I was running the kit speed control, didn't I?

They aren't doing (novice) Spec at the Nationals, are they? It would be fun to have a rematch, but... a) I don't think they're going to have Novice at the Nats, and B) You probably ought to have moved on to GT-3 by then.

I'm the same way about "little" cars as I am about "big" cars. I want a good race. I could really care less if I win or lose as long as I did the best I could. The worst day racing (something) beats the best day watching other people race on TV.

Yeah, winning is obviously better...but I want to have a good time -- not get blown away and not blow anyone away.

As far as I know, I never hacked you during the race. From what I remember, you had a pretty clean run, while I got nailed by all kinds of stuff...cars coming over barriers, backwards on the track, got spun from behind a couple times going into corners...you name it...kinda comes with the territory in novice, right?

Was my car faster on the straight? Probably -- DUH!

A TL has like 30 gears (Ok...like 8 or so) and even more bearings in it (12 in the geartrain, right?) -- a TT has 4 gears (2 bevels and 2 pinions) and 4 bearings in the drivetrain (2 on each end) and it takes real batteries. Plus it's got a far lower CG and you don't have a 5+ inch long battery pack sticking out from the sides like outriggers. It's a POS to build, but if you do it right, it's a better handling, smoother, quieter, more efficient car. I may not know how to drive, but I do know how to build a car and how they work.

I drove probably the cleanest race I ever have...with the possible exception of going too far inside on the last lap to try and keep you behind me...it'll probably be a long time until I do that well again. You've obviously been doing it a while and I would hope you'd be better than me.

I asked the guy who lent me the motor if it was legal...he said it was and I had no reason to doubt him. It looked like the other one I had borrowed from Nate the previous afternoon (I smoked my kit one trying to break it in).

What I still don't get is how I'm a cheater when you clearly just blew away the entire novice class the first round by 1+ MPH, never bothered to even race the second round (why bother, right?)

I gave you a halfway decent race in the final and you won...and I'm the cheater.
That's what I love about this hobby. The sportsmanship.

You really ought to give it a rest...or go race in the right class and leave the novice class to the novices.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 07-02-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

At least nobody's calling me a cheater yet... you would think two TQ's will be suspicious enough...

Hi TODD, Hi JOE... both of you guys are too cool to accuse each other... both of you are my good friends so I won't comment on it... but I swear, if I'm ever allowed again to run the TL01/TT01 spec class better watch out... it's all in the driving baby... (haha... I think I was banned 3 yrs ago for winning a number of those spec type classes ... yeah I know Rod C, "Bottom feeding fishes something..." ).

YOU GUYS JUST HAVE FUN... TAOB way...

-Ian
Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

oops posted as Jasper sorry... that was me, Ian Aquino...
Old 07-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by dyaz21
oops posted as Jasper sorry... that was me, Ian Aquino...
the famous.....Team Taob quote.." nice"
Old 07-02-2004, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

haha.. thanks Nate... here I am.. really...
Old 07-02-2004, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Todd-
Chill down, dude.

The motor was one of my practice motors. I lent it to Joe- a total stranger who I ran into in the parking lot, by the way- because his was toast. You know me- pretty much everybody knows me- and you know my reputation for fair play. The motor was legal...in fact I ran it in my second qualifier and my times were no better than round 1. So you can just put that "cheater" stuff in a box, seal it up real good, and put it away in the basement, because it doesn't deserve to see the light of day. Perhaps it's a good thing that I didn't lend Joe one of my serious (but completely legal) race motors.

The sad thing was that was one of the best races of the day, even though there were really only two cars that could possibly have won. It was a gas to watch. Sure, Joe was faster on the straight, but you drive much better than he does. When you look at the lap times, they were pretty close. The crowd was into it, the drivers were into it, even Charlie was into it. So, why don't we just walk away from all this negative talk and appreciate the nice race you guys had?

Joe, if you really feel you need to defend your honor, come to Laurel the end of July instead of going to Burien in August. You can stay with me- we live about an hour from the track- and you and Todd can go at it again. There will NOT be a spec or GT3 class at the Nats, I'm sure.

Later
Doc
Old 07-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll step right into this.....

An old quote... You're not a cheater until you get caught

Just to add more to this... I took a Trinity monster stock motor
and did some mofifications to it... Same armature, same housing...
But after some creative filing... polishing.... nip and tuck....
I was able to get 28,500 on 2 different dynos on it... It only lasted 2 heats but that sucka flew...... But it smoked on the 3 heat..... ( 2nd heat the motor was about 250 degrees )
Was it cheating? Or just creative motor tuning.....

Was the battery packs made by BALCO?!?!?!?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

PEACE LOVE AND HAPPINESS
Old 07-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by MARSHALL LAW
PEACE LOVE AND HAPPINESS
dont forget....rc racing...my man. see you when we see you. Thanks Marshall Law.

Nate
Old 07-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally posted by rccardr

Joe, if you really feel you need to defend your honor, come to Laurel the end of July instead of going to Burien in August. You can stay with me- we live about an hour from the track- and you and Todd can go at it again. There will NOT be a spec or GT3 class at the Nats, I'm sure.

Later
Doc
I'd love to come out there some time, it's just not in the cards right now, money-wise. I love that area.

Thanks again, Doc. I really appreciate all your help. Sorry you got dragged into this.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welll guys, all i can say is that there WILL and always WILL BE a faster car on the track regardless if you tuned your motor or not. I definitley did not spend enough time tuning my motors, but i think with the lack of HP, the driving made it more interesting to watch. I do hear concernes of people wondering about other racers motors once in a while when i run races, but remember, it only benefits you on the straight.
Also, in my opinion, when you focus your attention of teh other guy who has more zing than you on the straight, you have lost the race already. Instead, one should focus on tuning their own motors, set up, and most importantly, their driving. EVen if you BOPPLED ony once, that still cost you about .5-3.5 seconds depending on your crash. That is plenty of time considering i did not make the A by .3 secs!
If you out drive the guy, he can't pass you CLEANLY!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by charlie_b
Welll guys, all i can say is that there WILL and always WILL BE a faster car on the track regardless if you tuned your motor or not. I definitley did not spend enough time tuning my motors, but i think with the lack of HP, the driving made it more interesting to watch. I do hear concernes of people wondering about other racers motors once in a while when i run races, but remember, it only benefits you on the straight.
Also, in my opinion, when you focus your attention of teh other guy who has more zing than you on the straight, you have lost the race already. Instead, one should focus on tuning their own motors, set up, and most importantly, their driving. EVen if you BOPPLED ony once, that still cost you about .5-3.5 seconds depending on your crash. That is plenty of time considering i did not make the A by .3 secs!
If you out drive the guy, he can't pass you CLEANLY!!!
Words from the prophet.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default He has spoken

Amen!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-moses.jpg  
Old 07-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Guys,

I thought that the spec class was for the true beginners, and GT3 was for the novice to the more experienced. When I hear of the special attention to the motors and batteries in that class it makes me think, if someone knows that much about how to get the extra bit out of a motor or battery they realy don't belong in that class.

My 7 year old son races in TL01 spec for the fun but if that class gets too serious what is the point he will only get yelled at by the racers who sandbag in the class just to win when they should be in GT3.

Tamiya has a great program that is suppose to be fun and try and bring new racers into the hobby. I think some people have lost sight of that and have forgotten that after all these are toy cars. If TL01 spec begins to get too serious my son and other beginners won't have fun and they won't come back.

Just remember 1 more thing, if this series was suppose to be ultra competitve in all classes there would be a charge to enter. Just because it is free does not make it right to sandbag in a lower class.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default tl-01 spec

Plus there is no free kit. If you are not a true novice then what kind of satisfaction do you get for winning. Do you get bragging rites. " I am the defending regional champion for TL-01 bow down before me and fear my wrath."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.