Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree836Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FMW
Talk about RPM limits is for the TCS Finals only. Regional races are not required to do it. I may or may not experiment with it during the Aliso regional event to see what it will take to manage it for the Finals.
Fred, why are you also considering a minimum weight for F1 at the TCS Finals only?

Half the fun of tuning is managing weight, a racer can choose to go from a big 100C 5000 mah pack down to the bare minimum in size and weight. They can choose to go for titanium screws and other steps to minimize the weight. And since we are all running the same motor now, their should be no significant weight changes in the back.

So what gives? I'd rather see the tech time spent testing motors don't exceed a certain kv (not an rpm limit). Set the limit like they did at the Worlds and let the racers adjust their timing to stay under the limit. Rodzilla indicated it wasn't difficult to do. Then the racer's build quality and and tuning decisions are important.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1Jet
Fred, why are you also considering a minimum weight for F1 at the TCS Finals only?

Half the fun of tuning is managing weight, a racer can choose to go from a big 100C 5000 mah pack down to the bare minimum in size and weight. They can choose to go for titanium screws and other steps to minimize the weight. And since we are all running the same motor now, their should be no significant weight changes in the back.

So what gives? I'd rather see the tech time spent testing motors don't exceed a certain kv (not an rpm limit). Set the limit like they did at the Worlds and let the racers adjust their timing to stay under the limit. Rodzilla indicated it wasn't difficult to do. Then the racer's build quality and and tuning decisions are important.
This is my personal opinion and not representing or an endorsement of Fred Medel, Tamiya or TCS. Now that the legalize is out of the way......why not a weight minimum for F1 ? All the sedan classes have a minimum weight. Any major race has a minimum weight for F1 (1050g seems to be the standard), and from the experience of the So Cal RC Scale Series that has minimum weight for the GT Sedan and F1 cars that are checked for weight, width and voltage before every qualifier and race, it takes about 10 seconds time to weigh a car. Other reasons why ? To have a equal weight so you can have a variety of different Tamiya F1 chassis that can be competitive rather than having to by the lightest kit and people going insane on costs to build an uber light F1 car to have a competitive advantage of a lighter car.

So what are the advantages of no minimum weight other than getting to spend a lot of money on stuff like aluminum or titanium screws, LRP mini shorty packs and getting away from the scale looks by not running the add-on side pods, mirrors and other body accessories to keep the car as light as possible ?

Panda
Old 03-05-2016, 08:53 PM
The Evicerator

Sorry about posting off topic in here, but at least there's a slight chance Fred might see this and respond (You could respond to the Fred Tech Thread in California Racing so you don't have to contaminate this thread any further)

Hey Fred, any chance you can fill everyone in on what your intentions are for possibly having any FredTech races this year? More specifically, before Reedy Race??

Seems to me there are lots of people very anxious to give you and Tamiya some good money to run on the track in preparation for the race. Seems to me like those would be some good funds to help roll into the track maintenance/upkeep fund...

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for your attention and response!

... Back to program already in progress.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryRog
Testing has found variances in peak rpm from 19k to 23k for the spec 21.5. ymmv
I have to apologize in advance, but this has had me giggling all week. A "big name" like Reedy can't build a motor that's consistent, but people in my regional series complain when there's a 500rpm difference in the super cheap Chinese cans we run.

Again, I'm sorry, but the irony is delicious.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jujubean
Hey everyone. Just want to remind you all that there will be a TCS Regional Race at RC Kinetics (http://www.rckinetics.com) On Sunday March 6th. There are a lot of racers from all over the east coast already signed up, and it promises to be a good event. The Hobby Shop on site is well stocked with Tamiya parts and more are expected this week. And to make a weekend of it, on Saturday the 5th, there will be a warm up race held in the evening. Become a member of the Facebook group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/RCKinetics/) to keep with all the latest information. Thanks!
Hey!
Full house on Sunday, I think 65+ entries.

Two heats of F1 cars with the special 25.5 motors
CARLTON C.'s red rocket took F1 TQ and WON the 10-car Main!

Three heats of minis with 21.5 motors
Manny R. TQ'd but Al S. took the win

GT1: Greg K. TQ's and won
GT2: Manny R. TQ'd and won big
GT3 also ran, CC almost got a second win

Big congratulations to Alex K., Julian C. the RC Kinetics team
for bringing a big indoor asphalt track,
(and an indoor off-road track and an outdoor off-road track)
to fruition.
Be there next year!

Last edited by F1Jet; 03-07-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1Jet
Hey!
Full house on Sunday, I think 65+ entries.

Two heats of F1 cars with the special 25.5 motors
CARLTON C.'s red rocket took F1 TQ and WON the 10-car Main!

Three heats of minis with 25.5 motors
Manny R. TQ'd but Al S. took the win

GT1: Greg K. TQ's and won
GT2: Manny R. TQ'd and won big
GT3 also ran, CC almost got a second win

Big congratulations to Alex K., Julian C. the RC Kinetics team
for bringing a big indoor asphalt track,
(and an indoor off-road track and an outdoor off-road track)
to fruition.
Be there next year!
mini is 21.5 still, right?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Yes mini is 21.5 and F1 is 25.5
Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Yes mini is 21.5 and F1 is 25.5
whew... i know i'm blind - but hope i wasn't THAT blind
Old 03-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by k_bojar
whew... i know i'm blind - but hope i wasn't THAT blind
Motor spec corrected
Old 03-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RCK TCS

Thanks to all the TCS crowd for coming out to the event at RCK. It was a great crowd and a good time for all. Please visit the RC Kinetics Group page for videos, pictures and results from all the heats and the mains (https://www.facebook.com/rckinetics/) . You will need to ask to join if you already have not. Also, there was a reporter from the local paper there doing a story. It is an interesting read.

http://www.troyrecord.com/general-ne...troy-warehouse
Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

What about GT pro spec TQ & win going to Chris Palermo from brownies hobbies. Brownies had a great showing at this race. Congrats to all.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Way To Go Chris!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

WOO HOO!!
Finally got my 25.5 f1 motor today. Was lucky enough to get mine ordered before they were gone.
Originally Posted by f1larry
Already shows on back order. Hopefully they fulfill my order I made shortly after seeing your post.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GeorgePravata
What about GT pro spec TQ & win going to Chris Palermo from brownies hobbies. Brownies had a great showing at this race. Congrats to all.
Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Way To Go Chris!
Kid's a beast
Old 03-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
WOO HOO!!
Finally got my 25.5 f1 motor today. Was lucky enough to get mine ordered before they were gone.
Congrats! Have fun at the race!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.