Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

bu dum tsss!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
Corner balancing isn't the same as balancing left to right imo. By eliminating the spring you eliminate the variable introduced by the springs. If springs were perfectly equal this wouldn't be an issue. But since each spring is different its best, in theory, to remove them to balance L/R. Once you have a true 50/50 balance left to right you put the shocks on and make sure you have equal preload on the springs (corner balancing).
Right, this is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Even if I adjust my preload collars to be equal (calipers and whatnot), that doesn't account for possibly varying spring rates among "identical" springs. So, equal length turnbuckles seem like an interesting experiment. I'll try it tonight.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Weight for it......
Best post in awhile. Well done my friend.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
I hung my D06 with dental floss through the center holes in the shock towers. I added weights to the electronics side until the car was level.
Level was measured with my iPhone carpenter tool.
Yeah, I wish Xray would do something like that for the shock towers. But then they wouldn't be able to sell you balance pins.

Originally Posted by metalnut
So, I think I got the front to rear weight figured out tonight. I placed a droop block on each of the two scales and set the car on them, fully loaded. The T4 took all 55 grams towards the front, on both sides of the bell cranks and top of the bumper. That seemed to even it out front to back at least.
Adding all that weight up front, particularly in the bumper, may make the car push like crazy, and have very sluggish rotation. The rear VTA tires are quite heavy, which is why it's rear-heavy, but they also have more grip, so the extra weight in the back helps the car rotate.

I made 4 solid links using some turnbuckles, I'm going to try to lock the arms (replace the shocks) to see what it looks like on the scales with that setup. It could be a waste of time, but I'll validate it with the other methods described here. Fun fun.
Originally Posted by Odin544
Corner balancing isn't the same as balancing left to right imo. By eliminating the spring you eliminate the variable introduced by the springs. If springs were perfectly equal this wouldn't be an issue. But since each spring is different its best, in theory, to remove them to balance L/R. Once you have a true 50/50 balance left to right you put the shocks on and make sure you have equal preload on the springs (corner balancing).
Right, this is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Even if I adjust my preload collars to be equal (calipers and whatnot), that doesn't account for possibly varying spring rates among "identical" springs. So, equal length turnbuckles seem like an interesting experiment. I'll try it tonight.
I'm fully prepared to eat some crow if proven wrong with Adam's solid links. But if you've ever corner balanced a car (real or R/C), you'd realize the solid links won't make a meaningful difference. In order to change the weight distribution, without moving weight around, a car needs to lean a lot. If you look up how to calculate CG height, you should get an idea of how little the weight distribution will change with small amounts of roll.

To be clear, front = FL + FR, rear = RL + RR, right = FR + RR, left = FL + RL. When you raise one corner, putting more load on it, the opposite corner will also get more load on it, and the adjacent corners will get lighter, such that your front, rear, left, and right totals will remain the same, or extremely close to it.

Also, when you get the car all dialed-in weight-wise, try flipping it around 180 degrees and see if it reads the same. Try rotating it 90 degrees (adjusting scale positions) and see if it reads the same. When I do that, it usually doesn't, and I haven't been able to figure out why, which is another reason I've kind of given up on scales. Gravity doesn't have calibration issues.

-Mike
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I would guess the inaccuracy when rotating the car 90 or 180 degrees would be because of the scale pads not being all on the same plane (perfectly level)? Another thing I notice when using my scales it that if you don't place the tires on the scales in the same spot you will get inconsistent readings as well. If you are off 1/8" it affects the reading on the scale quite a bit. I've marked the center as best as possible and using my setup wheels I can get the wheels placed very closely to the same spot every time. One thing is for sure is I cant say that the method I use is 100% accurate. But I do manage to get repeatable results. I've been contemplating getting the longacre scales but that's a lot of money. I agree a string through the tower seems like a really good option and just let gravity do its thing.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yea, so I took a 3 year old chassis out of a box, installed some electrics, set ride height and threw on what I thought was some good droop settings, bought some wheels, painted a body, set the whole car on a scale to make sure it was a LEAST 1450 grams, went to the track, ran it. made a couple changes, ran it again.. winner. sold it. repeat (but with newer chassis)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I can't weight until this conversation is over

Thanks for the inspiration Kyle!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Hey weight Garrett. ... ain't you be a dirt guy now? What kind of weight bias you run on dirt? I think a tick of this and a tad of that may be the hot setup but I will need to post what I figure out... I could just PM you but why bother...

I ran with 2 different axle height inserts in boosted 10.5 WGT back in the Hangar DAYS for like 3 races ...epic..... honestly didn't notice until I saw it..

There should be an engineering thread for the guys that have time to do all this research and what not..

How was that Big "sexy"?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Martin crisp did it, he writes books, weight, he made the website, and the xray tuning books
Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

I still am an onroad guy, just taking a break
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Last edited by metalnut; 03-18-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
I still am an onroad guy, just taking a break
I'm neither. I actually have that book... maybe I should read it.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Hey weight Garrett. ... ain't you be a dirt guy now? What kind of weight bias you run on dirt? I think a tick of this and a tad of that may be the hot setup but I will need to post what I figure out... I could just PM you but why bother...

I ran with 2 different axle height inserts in boosted 10.5 WGT back in the Hangar DAYS for like 3 races ...epic..... honestly didn't notice until I saw it..

There should be an engineering thread for the guys that have time to do all this research and what not..

How was that Big "sexy"?
You make me proud grasshopper.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Hopefully I am within forum rules....
Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcHammer
im thinking there should be a tc set up seminar......... on a saturday... before track setup... maybe in the storage room where the carpet is kept
I wanted to circle back to this, because I could certainly use a TC setup seminar. Anyone else interested?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.