Search
Like Tree10Likes

Kyosho Mad Van

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Kyosho Mad Van

I didn’t see a thread about this one. Kyosho has released the 1/10 Mad Van, which is based on the Fazer MK2 platform. The Mad Van is identical to the Rage 2.0, but with a slight gearing change due to the larger wheels.

This is a huge hit for Kyosho. They are flying off the shelves and dealers are quite often out of stock. If you haven’t seen this one before, I recommend you check out you tube and watch them in action. It reminds me of some old school Lunchbox fun, but this time it’s 4wd and a lot more capable. I ordered mine a few days ago from Tower Hobbies and they sold out quick.

The only downsides are the terrible parts support here in the USA and the grossly overpriced Kyosho hop ups.

Anybody out there going to get one?

Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

If they made a nitro version I might. Got a Mad Crusher GP on the way instead.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ugh. I've been in this Hobby for years and I really want to like Kyosho...but it just has never worked for me. I bought the Mad Crusher VE (Brushless) when it came out and it was broken in the box. I got it together after zero support from Kyosho and it broke all three times I ran it. I wasn't really bashing it, I knew what it was, but I found it to be cumbersome to drive and extremely fragile. Like...no jumps more then a foot high kinda fragile. That was 2019...last year. Not 1987 with a Nitro Brute.

The Japanese are amazing engineers and have done so much for this hobby in the last 40 years and Kyosho is a huge part of that.

Kyosho...if your listening...keep your loyal fan base with these things...but branch out to the rest of us who want you to make a Basher or a super tough, solid axle MT with 6s power that can handle decently.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

It’s a looker for sure. I’d say it is closer to 1/12 scale in size. I’m currently trying to find another body to use with it since I’d like to keep the van body nice. The replacement van bodies are over $50 a piece.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

The Proline ProMT4x4 has a similar wheelbase.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I have seen on you tube that the stock speed for the Mad Van is 25 or so, with the 14T motor.

I am not ready to throw in a cheap brushless system just yet, so I decided to try a cheap 8T motor with a 23T pinion. Let’s see what speed I can get out of it.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Interesting problem I have. The very first squeeze of the throttle gets me a 29mph run. After I stop, or let off the throttle just a bit, I’m only at half power. If I cut the truck off and back on, I’m back at full speed.

Battery is fully charged.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The older brushed ESC's were limited to certain brushed motors. I had an old Tamiya brushless ESC that would only run motors down to 12T and would act strange for anything less then that. Then again, that was 15+ years ago..so not sure if that still holds true.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Steel_Rain
The older brushed ESC's were limited to certain brushed motors. I had an old Tamiya brushless ESC that would only run motors down to 12T and would act strange for anything less then that. Then again, that was 15+ years ago..so not sure if that still holds true.
Thats exactly what the issue was. I couldn’t find any specs on the ESC, Kyosho is terrible. I looked all over the Internet. I was hoping that it could handle an 8T like the Dynamite version, but no luck.

I tried to fit a 12T 550 Arrma motor in the van, but it is too long and the shaft is too long. I threw the 14T stock motor back in until I figure out what to do with the truck. I’m thinking a mild 3300kv brushless system would do the trick. In the meantime, I’m running the truck without the van body. Gotta keep that nice......for now.

kajex7 likes this.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I really like my Mad Van but we are starting off on rocky ground. I am not an abusive rc driver but I have already stripped the spur gear and my front diff is making scary sounds. Only run about 15 minutes on a 2s battery, taken right out of the box. I have ordered the aluminum upgrade spur gear and I'm going to upgrade the diffs to a 4 bevel gear instead of just the two. This is my first Kyosho but not my first hobby grade rc, Hopefully my first Kyosho isn't a bad experience, its bringing back flashbacks of my broken Duratrax overdrive days.

TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Mad Van repaired and back to running. Also fitted an old Associated T4 body and some old emaxx body mounts for the rear.

xrocket21 likes this.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have one on order from LHS.
First thing to check will diff shimming. I remember going through sets on Ring and Pinion gears on my ole Mad Force, hope same isn't true on their current stuff. I plan on keeping stock motor setup. Are you guys having any trouble popping axle shafts?
I drive van so this really caught my eye, hope is a good purchase.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE
Thats exactly what the issue was. I couldn’t find any specs on the ESC, Kyosho is terrible. I looked all over the Internet. I was hoping that it could handle an 8T like the Dynamite version, but no luck.

I tried to fit a 12T 550 Arrma motor in the van, but it is too long and the shaft is too long. I threw the 14T stock motor back in until I figure out what to do with the truck. I’m thinking a mild 3300kv brushless system would do the trick. In the meantime, I’m running the truck without the van body. Gotta keep that nice......for now.

I like Beetle bodie o9n MT, somewhat self righting. Which body is this?
Old 03-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GimpyGolden
I have one on order from LHS.
First thing to check will diff shimming. I remember going through sets on Ring and Pinion gears on my ole Mad Force, hope same isn't true on their current stuff. I plan on keeping stock motor setup. Are you guys having any trouble popping axle shafts?
I drive van so this really caught my eye, hope is a good purchase.

I did upgrade my diffs to have 4 bevel gears. I’m hoping that helps in durability. So far so good but I haven’t switched to brushless yet.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone know an alternate Spur Gear?
I can't find plastic or metal option in stock anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.