Like Tree1289Likes

Mini-96 World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Phatz_60
Y’all are crazy fast, keep it up, I’ve learned so much from y’all
Amen to that!

Malave, I really like the F1! Can you run on of the front wings the have the bearings in the front edges to glide off the walls? Wherever I read about the F1 and MIni-96 they said they were a big help!

HeyDay, I see you run the carbon fiber bumper/front clip on your Jomurema's. Are they an advantage/stronger than just the carbon clips on the aluminum mount?

PoorBoy, THANK YOU for posting the videos!!! You can see and hear how you get around the track soo fast! They're a huge help!!! The paint on the MX-5 looks GOOD!!! I started working on mine today, but about an hour into body prep the Central A/C in our house started barely cooling, so I've been working on that this evening! It's more than I can fix, so we might be in a hotel till it gets fixed, since our heat index is 110* for the next week!

Raleigh, That 86mm Porsche is AWESOME!!! I keep my eyes open for one, but I haven't found one that I can afford!

To the new guys, the main thing I can say is to stick with it!!! I almost quit and sold off my stuff when I first started, because it was sooo different from the 1/10th scale I had run before! I could barely get around the track is training mode! But with a lot of laps, reading, and help for everyone here I can run midpack and have a BLAST!!! And Traveler2, PoorBoy and now chjosi give us some fast times to strive for!!!

It was AWESOME to have all the participants last month!!! Welcome Everyone, Take Care, and Drive Fast!!! Drew
CrazyRonny likes this.

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 06-05-2024 at 12:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-05-2024, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mx5

Hey guys I’ve looked but can’t find it, the rules for the MX5 class my buddy has a real one that he runs in what’s called slalom racing ( excuse my spelling) and he wants to build one for the mini96wc.

thx Walt
Old 06-05-2024, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Walt, It's an unofficial class for now, but basically it a Narrow Class Chassis with wide rears and MX-5 body. That's at least what most of us have been running. A few of us just switch the rear wheels to run in both the Narrow Class and the MX-5 class with the same chassis and body, and there is no setup changes needed to be made between the switch. I can push it harder with the wide rear wheels, and I'm on 2 wheels in the fast corners much less!
Hopefully Traveler2 can make it official with some set rules soon, as it seems like there's enough interest. It's more of a true "stock" class, since it's a currently available body, narrow only front end, and only so wide of wheels can fit.
Anyway, hope this helps some! Drew
Phatz_60 likes this.
Old 06-05-2024, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys, for those who have tried the new PN KSK compound, how do they compare to the KS/KSM? I like the KSM compound over the KS as they seem to hold the same amount of traction from beginning to the end of 75 laps. The way I drive the KS get a bit pushy in the tight corners from about 50 laps on when pushing the pace.
Thanks for any input yall can offer! Drew
Old 06-07-2024, 03:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default MX5

Thanks Drew.
I noticed a couple of people were running those gekko brand tires, are they any good, it’s been a while since I saw that tho
Old 06-07-2024, 08:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Phatz_60
Thanks Drew.
I noticed a couple of people were running those gekko brand tires, are they any good, it’s been a while since I saw that tho
I was running the older version of those tires for a bit on my narrow class. I ran them because they have low grip and I was hoping it would help me traction roll less. After running them for a bit, I realized it was a failed experiment and I switched to PN & Marka tires, lowered my ride height as much as possible, and my race times improved.

Old 06-08-2024, 04:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks and good to know
Old 06-10-2024, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

Well, I've been trying to get my Box Stock to stay rubber side down and I am/was struggling, at least with a Box Stock legal body that I have ready to go. Frustrated, I got my box of mini-z stuff out, and changed it over to a brushed Stock chassis, using a PN V3 94/98mm mount, PN 70T, stock Gear Diff, and stock top shock w/15k grease, and PN 8t Pro Match pinion.
Putting my 12C w/ lexan windows body on it and running a few laps, IT SMOKES w/ NO Traction Rolls!!! I have to get used to the PN 70T with it's torque and high drag brake, but I think it is faster than my PN2.5 3500kv. It was 4am when I was testing it out, so I couldn't run the lap timer as the track is in the room next to my sleeping wife!
I have a PN DDS coming to replace the factory top shock, and a Rocket 5500kv to up my PN2.5 to ProStock, possibly. For now I will run both as Stock Chassis, and post the fastest at the end of the month. When I get a few bodies painted up I will try Box Stock again, but MAN it's a different car with the PN motor pod and 70T. ME LIKE!!! I also have a set of Pro-Match Pinions coming to help gear out the torque of the 70T.
Take Care, Drive Fast, and keep it Shiny Side Up! Drew
Phatz_60 likes this.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I’ve had my eye on a v4 94-98mm pn motor pod, as I’m planning on running in the stock class once we can get a place for a mini96wc style track, and a 70t pn is definitely my plan
BoxxerBoyDrew likes this.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

I really like the PN Motor Pods! Fit and Finish are very good, and the ability to raise or lower the axel height helps adjust the CG to stop traction rolls!
And the PN 70T suits my driving stile. The torque is much higher than the Ready Set motor, along with the drag brake, but you can use a larger pinion and turn down the Throttle D/R to help a lot with those.
The one thing I have learned, the hard way, is to keep an eye on the brushes. If you run a lot they can wear quickly compared to larger r/c I have run. The end plates holding the brushes pop off easily with the motor out of the pod, so checking them isn't too hard. If you have good eyes you can see them through the end bells cooling cut outs. I try with a head lamp and magnified glass, but with my eyes it's a joke!
I really like brushless motors, but with that not being an option on Ready Set boards, the PN70T is the best option I have found for a Brushed motor with threaded holes for mounting to PN Motor Pods.
Have fun switching up your MR03 to find what suits ur driving style, and hope you find a permanent spot of your M96! Drew
Phatz_60 likes this.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Got my 2wd open car under 300 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOIQR_sRy0Y

Old 06-16-2024, 05:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Anybody driving this month??
chjosi likes this.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Yep, I'm running my Ready Set as a Stock Brushed now against my PN2.5 w/ a 3500kv. I received a Rocket 5500kv yesterday, and the plan is to swap out the 3500kv out of my PN2.5 to bump it to ProStock. Then I'll have a Stock, ProStock, Narrow, MX5, and Porsche entries for this month. I'll post my mid month times over the next few days.
Anyone watch the 24hr Lemans? I saw most of it, as I started watching around 11am, but at 7:30 this morning I dozed off, missing what was shaping up to be a great finish! I'd like to see it in person one day! Also wish Kyosho would come out with a current Hypercar LM body!!! Don't get me wrong I love the 787B, and the Toyota GT-One looks great, but I don't have a motor pod that it will clear, yet.
Anyway yall have fun with this fun layout! Drew

P.S. PoorBoy, that was a SMOKIN' fast run!!! The Video was GREAT TOO!!! Man, your car really turns the corners well!
Phatz_60 likes this.

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 06-16-2024 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-17-2024, 04:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey Drew, I’ve been to Hockenheim and to the Nürburgring several times but haven’t made it to La Mans, a Friend of mine was there and kept posting pictures and videos from Friday till today

PS Poor Boy that’s some great driving!!!
Poor_Boy and BoxxerBoyDrew like this.

Last edited by Phatz_60; 06-17-2024 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Phatz, those are some awesome races you've seen!
Here's my latest project in the fight with traction roll! I blew the lid off my Jomurema, and I'm going to test with the Spaz Sticks paint left on it, and I'm hoping the weight down low will give me traction without helping with roll. I might sand off the Spaz Sticks, and do a light coat of Gellow. I've got 3 bodies sanded and ready for paint, but I'm testing primers this weekend. I'll post before and after weights when I'm done, but it looks like there will be at least 8 grams removed! Should help removing it from the highest point. Well see???

Phatz_60 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.