Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Kansas/Missouri Racing
Jake's R/C Pro-Am. Topeka's indoor offroad. >

Jake's R/C Pro-Am. Topeka's indoor offroad.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Jake's R/C Pro-Am. Topeka's indoor offroad.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porter
Sweet, I've been considering getting back into mountain biking. Loved going over to Clinton trails, and every once in a while would hit up dornwood here, or the river trails in hippy ville.
Whoa. Dornwood is just a little too ghetto for me. I am real close to shunga and that links or will eventually link with the Landon Nature Trail. Oakland has some ok trials in the motorcycle/atv area as well.

Heather has a friend that we are storing a Bike for, for an undetermined amount of time and she wants to start riding so I figured I would get something, and there's no way I'm getting a Wally World special!

What bike do you have or did you have Porter?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bus
... Gas is 409 here in KCMO do you really want to drive to Chilli?
Want to....NO. Will I, if I have to, to race offroad....YES!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Well....we could form a bicycle gang....
Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

and the gang name would be???????????????????
Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

My last bike was a 97' Specialized FSR Comp, w/ Shimano XT rapid fire shifter front and XTR rear. Front disk brake and cantilever rear. It was a $1500 dollar bike, that was was before I got married and was riding pretty much every single day.

Now days I'd probably stick with a hardtail, w/ decent componants. I road Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized and never had too much troube with any of them.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I think as long as you are willing to spend around $600 or so you can get a good quality ride from just about any of the manufactures. My wife has a trek, and I have the specialized. The only thing I don't like about her trek is that you have to have an adapter to put air into the tires.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Topeka track is fun, however not having a hobby shop is hurting them. They only have one revenue stream right now, and it has dried up due to competing hobbies, other tracks, or different summer activities all together. I'm not saying having a hobby shop will fix everything, and it definitely adds more risk to the operation. But the fact there isn't a hobby shop, no set hours every day, and racing once a week, it really isn't a surprise to me how things are going. To me the track seems to be ran as more of hobby than a business. I guess this is fine if that is what it is meant to be. But I don't think it is. I would hate to see all the hard work it took to get this going just fizzle out because of the lack of commitment from the owner.

We are 2-3 months out from cooler weather and the start of when racers decide what they are going to do for the winter. We all know this will be here before you know it. If there isn't solid plan to stock the hobby shop soon and get serious about running a business, then I would say the track probably won't make it for more than a year or two. I have seen many times where a part is needed and there just isn't one available.

I hope this is taken as constructive, I am hesitant to even post it. But, with me living in KC, if the poop hits the fan it would have to fly pretty far to hit me. :-)
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bus
Woa what is going on! So no more off road till winter!? So this Sat. will be nothing? im so confused! Think ill try one more time to get my gas car running right! Gonna put a new clutch in it! If that dont fix it im selling cheap so cheap its like getting a free car! lol

Had a B4 lined out and everything! Someone please let me in on what's up!

Bus

Hey Bus, don't worry cause you'll have indoor offroad in your backyard this fall. Got word today that Steve Hale is taking over the southern un-used part of the Fastlane building (the old pit side) and is building a off-road track sometime late september. It wouldn't be huge but you know it will be cool.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KSimmonds
I think as long as you are willing to spend around $600 or so you can get a good quality ride from just about any of the manufactures. My wife has a trek, and I have the specialized. The only thing I don't like about her trek is that you have to have an adapter to put air into the tires.
I don't really want to spend more than $500. I am not going to be doing any serious pounding on it, or competition, just trail riding around here, and maybe to and from work within a year. I don't really have any brand loyalty, I know I would like disk front and rear, and just overall good quality components. I always thought I wanted a full suspension bike, but the bike shop says unless you get up into the $700, stick with a hardtail cause the cheaper full susp. act like pogo sticks. I'm still sorting though and trying to figure it all out. It's like buying an rc as a newbie. I guess I'm a mountain bike newbie since I been out of it for more than 16-17 years.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

I'm definitely far from an expert, but unless you are mainly doing just downhill stuff, rear suspension isn't usually that helpful. It sucks a lot of your forward momentum as you pedal. When we bought ours, we had a couple of friends that were seriously into biking, and their advice was that and to stay away from the discs (then) because if they get wet or muddy they don't hold up as well as the normal rim braking. I can't say if thats true or not, so take that for what it's worth.

We were never hardcore into it either, and a lot of our riding was done on pavement as well, but we've not had any problems with our Trek or Specialized bikes. Both are hard tails with normal brakes. We've had our bikes for 5 years now, so I'm sure lots has changed in that time.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron P
Well....we could form a bicycle gang....
OOHOOH...ME TOO...Ive been thinking about a bicycle for some fatness reducing excercise lately...

Do they come with beer cupholders???
Old 07-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Barney
OOHOOH...ME TOO...Ive been thinking about a bicycle for some fatness reducing excercise lately...

No, but you could put a stripper on the handlebars!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

or you could hang a stripper off of each handle bar.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Mayor, you running this Saturday at P Hill?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Barney

No you weren't! Lets go get some beer instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.