Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
However, the only way you can effectively get rid of this is to establish an rpm limit and rigidly enforce it.
No, you can also join the 21st century and run zero timing brushless.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Simple Answer

Hobbywing 13.5 Spec System - same as we use in the Minis. Works perfect in FWD Touring Cars too.

Fast enough to be fun, no scrutineering issues, affordable price, virtually bulletproof, readily available. Ticks all the boxes.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Fun race was fun and it was fair because it was allowed. Anyway, I was only laped twice by the fastest guy in FF03 and I ended 5th, lol. the only unfair part is the tweaked motor was not accessible to everyone and that is where it sucks. So hopefully Fred will go to handouts or what about old skool brushed stock motors? I wish we had someone shoot a video, for sure next time, the mix of FWD bodies were cool to see. OH I'm sorry, there were still porsches in the mix.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
Simple Answer

Hobbywing 13.5 Spec System - same as we use in the Minis. Works perfect in FWD Touring Cars too.

Fast enough to be fun, no scrutineering issues, affordable price, virtually bulletproof, readily available. Ticks all the boxes.
Just as I was going to say.
controlled ESC and motor, with far less room and options to get an edge
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Simple Answer

Tony,

Only issue with the Hobbywing would be the fact of open gearing on the FF03. The car would be crazy fast with the Hobbywing if geared up. You would have to control the gearing which is just a headache

Possibly picking the HW Justock and their 21.5 or 17.5 motor would be a solution to a control system
Old 10-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Simple Answer

Then everyone would have to go buy that one.

21.5, any brand, no boost. Controlled gearing not a bad idea but not crucial either.
Most guys have all or part of this setup and if not can get the Hong Kong deal to get in.
Or, can still choose to stick in the pumped up Johnson.

Easiest.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

How about the Cirtix/21.5 combo.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
That might be a good cheap choice for this chassis. I believe they're still around $80. I'll take the one out of my ABC & try it out.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Then everyone would have to go buy that one.

21.5, any brand, no boost. Controlled gearing not a bad idea but not crucial either.
Most guys have all or part of this setup and if not can get the Hong Kong deal to get in.
Or, can still choose to stick in the pumped up Johnson.

Easiest.
Can I borrow a 21.5?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Granpa
This is from a "motor tweaker" and I couldn't agree with you more. However, the only way you can effectively get rid of this is to establish an rpm limit and rigidly enforce it. This is the responsibility of the track or organizers of the event. If you want to just spot check or randomly check, the threat of being exposed as a cheater will discourage most people. If you don't do this, you cannot expect people to not try to get more performance from their motors.

Also, it sort of pisses me off to have "motor tweaking" singled out as villainous endeavor. This constant "bitching" about motors really gives me a pain. Why don't we outlaw the chassis "tweakers". I'm in the process of acquiring all the "upgrades" to have a decent FF03 and am struggling with it. My suggestion would be that if you truly want a level playing field, let's rule out the chassis "tweaking" also. Afterall, if we use your criteria, it's unfair for them to use their knowledge and skills that they've spent time, money, and effort to acquire.

Nothing personal in this Craig, but you're not the first to punch my button on this. I just got a little tired of it. Also, while were on the subject, how many of the guys with "slow" motors have ever bothered to clean them or polish the comm. How many times have you come off the track with a motor temp at over 170? How many of you even bother to check motor temps? Still use motor cleaner to clean motors. Do you know how many people I've shown how to maintain their motors? And how many actually do it? Also have given away dozens of motors and have seen them "blown" up thru abuse and wrong headed gearing. Then have the guy tell you your motors no good. I could go on, but that's enough for now.
Controlled silver cans works great, no arguments. Some of my favorite race days.

Tweekin em isn't villainous, being told that it's the only motor allowed and then have no limits blows, always has.

A cleaned (like this, not like that), polished, rinsed and lubed (every run if you want the best but still not comparable results) motor still wont get you up to speed.

Havin to coddle and pamper em like spoiled hi maintenance bitches just to get em to put out is just a tiring waste of time when there is one just as hot that will give you what you really want and not need all the extra effort.
Got nothing you'd rather be doing and get satisfaction from it, knock yourselves out.
Hell, you will probably kick the crap out of the 21.5s but you'll be havin to keep up all the primpin and fussin just to have something to keep puttin back in your car.
At least at that point it is a choice but it just hasn't been necessary for nearly a decade.

Comparing it to setting up a chassis?
Seriously?
C'mon Granpa, you're a bright guy and you know that is apples and oranges.

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Any 21.5 no boost combo is the answer.
Already been tested and proven in F1.
Many choices and no advantages altho there is always gonna be someone sneakin boost in.
We could nail their balls to a stump and push em over backwards.
After that it's just about integrity I guess.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Can I borrow a 21.5?
Only if I can use the silver can you destroyed me with yesterday.

Yeh, I used plenty of foreplay on my motor and still couldn't get it up. (to speed)
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Only if I can use the silver can you destroyed me with yesterday.

Yeh, I used plenty of foreplay on my motor and still couldn't get it up. (to speed)
My silver can is just well maintained nothing funny, I do literally inject it with a mix I don't even know what the heck is just to clean the comm, was just hand over to me by a retired partner in crime. I know for a fact the takeoff 27cs were definitely a big factor after switching to solaris on my 2nd qual and got mediocre results then went back to take-offs.

You need the big "V" Sir Kuda!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Maybe I'm confused. Isn't this...um...racing?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
it is... but even Formula1 has limitations and regulations.. they dont even allow you take apart the gearbox. and you only get 8 motors in a season.. i went thru four motors in one day just looking for the best one to try and keep up.. lol
Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by izzyracer
My silver can is just well maintained nothing funny, I do literally inject it with a mix I don't even know what the heck is just to clean the comm, was just hand over to me by a retired partner in crime. I know for a fact the takeoff 27cs were definitely a big factor after switching to solaris on my 2nd qual and got mediocre results then went back to take-offs.

You need the big "V" Sir Kuda!
Those 27cs need to be tech'd then cuz they have illegal straight line speed.

The big "V", you kiddin me? The crack of dawn isn't safe.
50 + goin on 18, still.

Originally Posted by rccardr
Yeh, ...um...modified racing apparently.

For nearly the cost of a complete Spec brushless system we can buy a worked over silver can so we can run with the tweekers. Such a deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.