Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TRF shocks are in. Feels a bit stiffer than the kit setup. Sits lower than i remember. But she's ready for paint.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Just do you don't miss out on anything.. here are all my blog posts on my FF03 experience.
I really didn't get that far with it. I think I would have had a better time with it on carpet. I have a FF04 now.... so FWD is still in the plan along with my MST-TCR.

cool build man, liked reading that! I’m using the car at a makeshift track in a parking lot, low grip with rubber tires so I need flex and the reinforced parts aren’t needed, but the weight savings you had was great! I ordered paint and bearings for the kit, should come together soon. I like this chassis so much I’m going to buy hop ups often lol

and that’s cool you are sticking with FWD 👌 it’s always been the most fun in my opinion
Nerobro and Knockoffracer like this.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer

TRF shocks are in. Feels a bit stiffer than the kit setup. Sits lower than i remember. But she's ready for paint.
Very cool man! What color are you going with? I’m painting my CRZ body corsa grey by Tamiya and I’m painting the hood and hatch black
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

I set a rule for my group where race schemes are a must.. so it's probably going to be boxart for this body. Mostly white, with a medium grey hood and roof. Lots of sponsor decals. I spend so much time on my chassis (re)builds that I don't normally have time to come up with my own paint schemes. Especially when one is supplied for me. Lazy, i know... Lol
Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Looking good!
Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hyde
cool build man, liked reading that! I’m using the car at a makeshift track in a parking lot, low grip with rubber tires so I need flex and the reinforced parts aren’t needed, but the weight savings you had was great! I ordered paint and bearings for the kit, should come together soon. I like this chassis so much I’m going to buy hop ups often lol

and that’s cool you are sticking with FWD 👌 it’s always been the most fun in my opinion

​​​​​​I run a parking lot(garage) as well. I found, thus far, the stock tires worked very well. This year I'm trying out the Gravity RC USGT Spec tire, nice and cheap compared to the Tamiya tires. Car handled fairly well considering it was box stock. I did manage to break a couple of suspension mounts from getting rear ended by an out of control XV-01.

I did find that the car was too flexible for the parking lot. Added the rear stiffeners, TRF suspension links, alloy/carbon steering rack, and TRF shocks. I'm on the hunt for the Tamiya stabilizer bar set for it currently, might be made of UNOBTANIUM though. Lol
Old 02-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

hey everyone, I created a Facebook group called Tamiya FF Chassis, if anyone is interested in sharing tips/tricks and posting random pictures of the cars! For some reason I’m unable to post a Link
Old 02-22-2020, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

​​​​​​I run a parking lot(garage) as well. I found, thus far, the stock tires worked very well. This year I'm trying out the Gravity RC USGT Spec tire, nice and cheap compared to the Tamiya tires. Car handled fairly well considering it was box stock. I did manage to break a couple of suspension mounts from getting rear ended by an out of control XV-01.

I did find that the car was too flexible for the parking lot. Added the rear stiffeners, TRF suspension links, alloy/carbon steering rack, and TRF shocks. I'm on the hunt for the Tamiya stabilizer bar set for it currently, might be made of UNOBTANIUM though. Lol
when I sold my FF03 two weeks ago.. it went with a complete sway bar set... :-/
Old 02-23-2020, 03:12 AM
CTE
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nerobro
The differences are very, very small, but the kit parts DO work. You need to look very, very closely at the manual, there are some subtle shape differences.

... I ran into the same problem.

You need to flip over your servo side bellcrank arm.
Just seen this and done the change. THANK YOU! This has been driving me nuts for months since i changed to reinforced plastics.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:17 AM
CTE
Tech Apprentice

I have laid my TA06 sway bars on my FF03 with sway bars. The fronts are indentical shape, so you could make those by simply adding 3x23 turnbuckles in place of the supplied grub screws to make the dropper links reach the arms. The rear bar is quite a bit wider angle and longer, but they do fit. You would just need to move the ball connector on the arms from the dedicated sway bar position which the FF03 set uses to the outermost unused shock mount hole on the reversible arms, but that's exactly how it fits on the TA06 so i think you could just get a TA06 set and adapt that. I don't know about the TRF418 set that the TA07 uses.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

I have the FF-03 stabilizer set but I only used the one for the front. My rear suspension is already stiff and the doesn't need it anymore in my opinion. Drives the way I want it.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the input about stabilizer bars. I'm not sure I actually need them for my situation, i just wanted to try them out. I have the kit for the TA-07, if they fit I'll give them a shot.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:49 AM
Tech Adept

So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2885182

some posts up i asked if front TRF arms can be used on FF03... and someone shared this link. Having looked at how it mounts up, with just 2 screws from left and right, 1 on motor support plate and 1 on heatsink, not certain if it will oscillate when the car is in motion, with suspension moving and all that.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 04-12-2020, 10:46 AM
CTE
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tomoyuki
So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2885182

some posts up i asked if front TRF arms can be used on FF03... and someone shared this link. Having looked at how it mounts up, with just 2 screws from left and right, 1 on motor support plate and 1 on heatsink, not certain if it will oscillate when the car is in motion, with suspension moving and all that.

Any thoughts on this?

I haven't used that part, but i have fitted TRF419 arms to my FF03. I flipped both sets of arms. Fronts now fit with the IFS and anti roll bar no problem and the offset forward improves the handling. At the rear attach the shocks to outermost anti roll bar mount hole and its same as the reversible arms.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

The suspension arms used on the FF-03 are from the TRF416, so they are TRF arms. As for the upright shock tower, it does look like it could swivel back-and-forth if the shocks aren't attached perfectly in-line with the screws that attach the tower to the chassis. However, the bigger concern is that 3D-printed part is made from un-reinforced ABS plastic and will flex under load, behaving like an un-damped spring. If you really want upright front shocks, replace your FF-03 with a FF-04 -- but personally I don't think it makes any difference in the real world.
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.