Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree148Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

THE BUILD

First off - It has been a while since I picked up a kit to build that continued to impress to the last settings.

Just wanted to provide some notes:

Step 1 - Page 4: be sure to watch SB3X5 on the top hub (outside) through the graphite. Easy to use the wrong hardware here.

Step 2 - Page 5: Install the ST11 Bushings from the start instead of the clips

Step 4 - Page 7: The P16 Lock Rings are actually clear/white plastic. Easy to look over these when you are building. Might be good to have the manual call out the color of the rings. I was looking for something metal like a c-clip

Step 6 - Page 9: The P06 did not work for me at all. I understand that they might work for others but 2 out of the 4 would not grab into the graphite with CA. End up using a T-nut that worked well.

Step 9 - Page 11: SPR01 - would be nice if there was a deeper anchor point on damper mount or some set screw. Mild issues later keeping the unit aligned during assembly.

Step 22 - Page 16: SB3X5 - dont forget about this screw. Speaking from experience.

Step 25 - Page 18: The manual calls out the trimming of the 'plastic cross' - be sure to trim a little at a time. I can see folks taking off too much material
Step 47 - Page 26: When assembling the rear body mount (AT22) - be sure the the pass-through screw is going through the untapped side first, then the threaded side. Otherwise, it might feel like the unit is not clamping the body post.

Shock Setting Technique - would be helpful to understand the effect that moving the Damper in-board or out-board has an effect on 'feel'. Would be good to get an idea how to measure the damper position for consistency.

IMPRESSIVE:

- The dampers are an incredibly simple idea and love that all of that weight is now low in the chassis

- Steering rack - screams high-quality.

- Spool - mechanical art. Like the steering rack - this is great work. Hope AWESOMATIX keeps up this quality.

- Gear Diff!

- Symmetric and Asymmetric Damper modes - nice touch. Could spend hours on this.

GOOD TO HAVE:

- Decent car-setup board and tools. The intricacy of the rod suspension really needs good use of set-board/gauges/calipers.

Looking forward to the first track passes.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
THE BUILD

First off - It has been a while since I picked up a kit to build that continued to impress to the last settings.

Step 1 - Page 4: be sure to watch SB3X5 on the top hub (outside) through the graphite. Easy to use the wrong hardware here.

Step 4 - Page 7: The P16 Lock Rings are actually clear/white plastic. Easy to look over these when you are building. Might be good to have the manual call out the color of the rings. I was looking for something metal like a c-clip

Step 6 - Page 9: The P06 did not work for me at all. I understand that they might work for others but 2 out of the 4 would not grab into the graphite with CA. End up using a T-nut that worked well.

Step 9 - Page 11: SPR01 - would be nice if there was a deeper anchor point on damper mount or some set screw. Mild issues later keeping the unit aligned during assembly.

Step 22 - Page 16: SB3X5 - dont forget about this screw. Speaking from experience.

Step 25 - Page 18: The manual calls out the trimming of the 'plastic cross' - be sure to trim a little at a time. I can see folks taking off too much material
Step 47 - Page 26: When assembling the rear body mount (AT22) - be sure the the pass-through screw is going through the untapped side first, then the threaded side. Otherwise, it might feel like the unit is not clamping the body post.

Shock Setting Technique - would be helpful to understand the effect that moving the Damper in-board or out-board has an effect on 'feel'. Would be good to get an idea how to measure the damper position for consistency.

IMPRESSIVE:

- The dampers are an incredibly simple idea and love that all of that weight is now low in the chassis

- Spool - mechanical art. Like the steering rack - this is great work. Hope AWESOMATIX keeps up this quality.

- Gear Diff!

- Symmetric and Asymmetric Damper modes - nice touch. Could spend hours on this.

GOOD TO HAVE:

- Decent car-setup board and tools. The intricacy of the rod suspension really needs good use of set-board/gauges/calipers.

You bringing this piece to Horsham on sat?

Cant wait to take a look at her and maybe even take er for a spin.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
You bringing this piece to Horsham on sat?

Cant wait to take a look at her and maybe even take er for a spin.
You got it. Will have to be next Saturday though. At the mini race this weekend.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MDawson
THE BUILD

IMPRESSIVE:

- Gear Diff!

GOOD TO HAVE:

In full trim - 1388 grams

• A700Long - steel screws, gear diff, spool
  • RadioPost Servo/Receiver
  • Protoform LTR Body - regular weight
  • 17.5 / ESC
  • 6500 Lipo
No diet needed
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone looking for a quick easy way to check caster on this car, here it is. The way the manual describes works great although can take some time.
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-2011-11-03-14.35.28.jpg   Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-2011-11-03-14.39.41.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

@velocity

looks great a quick fix like that ...

but first you have to determinate the highest point to have your 0degrees mark? cause when you move up or down your downstops this point will change ?

after that you can read on your scala the degrees ?
have you done this by yourself?

I don't have the car for a long time and used the caliber to adjust it ...
2.7mmdifference for 4degrees but normaly run 3mm difference so 4.5 degrees

kind regards Tom
Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone13
@velocity

looks great a quick fix like that ...

but first you have to determinate the highest point to have your 0degrees mark? cause when you move up or down your downstops this point will change ?

after that you can read on your scala the degrees ?
have you done this by yourself?

I don't have the car for a long time and used the caliber to adjust it ...
2.7mmdifference for 4degrees but normaly run 3mm difference so 4.5 degrees

kind regards Tom
I don't think the degrees will change .as long the travel is 90deg. straight up and down ..you also have to move the protractor back away ,if you don't it will change the deg. reading and the protractor will not indexes flat c/t caster top block..
Old 11-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Is there a performance difference in using bushing r ,bushing s or a c drive
Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anybody built their A700 with ceramic bearings yet ???
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eddie10
Is there a performance difference in using bushing r ,bushing s or a c drive
Post #508
Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Anybody in the UK order yet? And if so how long did the delivery take from confirmation of payment?

Cheers
Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Price increase? Did the kit change, or did the US dollar just get worse?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by erchn
Price increase? Did the kit change, or did the US dollar just get worse?
The Euro's pretty weak at the moment. Looks like the price is fixed at EU589 and the USD price is changing accordingly.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Saw Mark Dawson's car today. WOW this thing is beyond impressive, just wow.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KHoff7
Saw Mark Dawson's car today. WOW this thing is beyond impressive, just wow.
*fixed*. will hit some hot laps tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.