Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree87Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

TSK TSK, fancy that.... A tamiya car trying to muscle in on our thread.

Even with the Pro 4 being discontinued it will be easier to get parts for the Pro 4 than the other aforementioned car, and this should be the case for some time yet.

Last edited by mangoman; 10-28-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey fellas, be easy with my dude "GuyIsDamnGood". He is a hardcore Pro4 dude and is quite pissed they discontinued the vehicle. He was pressed on the car, but seeing that HPI is having financial/management problems, he opted for the EVO5. I am positive that it took a lot for him to move on to another brand before buying the EVO5.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the Evo5 is a nice car...but with Tamiyas reputation...the Evo5 is already discontinued and the Evo6 is just months away...
Old 10-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Hey fellas, be easy with my dude "GuyIsDamnGood". He is a hardcore Pro4 dude and is quite pissed they discontinued the vehicle.
Fair enuff, although personally i still wouldnt go with an Evo due to the fact that the Evo's seem to have relatively short production lives. Of course having said that Tamiya will probably make an exception with this car just to prove me wrong **SHRUG**
Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Pro 4 Guys; I`m know the Pro 4 has won many races and the TB Evo 5 haven`t won a race.....yet. But you guys have to run/drive this thing; it`s really Smooth and it looks really Nice.
-But the Pro 4 reacts better to changes and has better Diff Covers.

-Tamiya is crazy enough to come out with a TB Evo 6 in about 5-Months.....Ha Ha!
-It`s still hard to get Tamiya Parts.....You most likely have to order parts from Tamiya America in Cali. (They cost alot also; a TB Evo 5 Ball Diff cost: $90.00 - Parts Bags Sold Separately.)

I`m still good with My Pro 4; but I just don`t feel good dealing with a Discontinued kit.

-Thanks for Look`n - Out bxpitbull.

Take Care.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

anybody have the stock antenna holder they don't need? I don't really want to buy the whole parts tree...
Old 11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

knock.. knock...
anybody home?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Default I'm alive and kicking

Hey, anyone own a Pro and Cyclone that prefers the Pro4? I have a dilema.
I bought a Cyclone S. To "Hara" it out, I bought the main and upper woven chassis. Installed custom outdrives from Titanium racing, purple blocks and shocks from an extra Hara Pro 4, belt tensioner, HPI slicks all around, GTB/4.5, replaced all the bushings with bearings, Li-Po 6000mah from Maxamps and the car was a slug! 81/21 FD-9.40. Same equipment in my Pro 4 with a 98/26 FD 9.187 car is a rocket! How is it that two cars that are supposed to be "mirror"images of one another run so much different? Maybe I have my belt to tight, I dont know. The Cyclone threads have gaffed me off, so I figure I'd come home to roost and get some help.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

I have both cars..and both drive differently. I would think setup would be the same...but that's not the case. both cars needs to be set-up differently. In some tracks I found the pro4 to handle better than the cyclone.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

I am pissed as hell. The Cyclone appeared that it would be a rocket. Solid, ran only once as an "S". As a regular Cyclone, I was not impressed at all. The rear belt is a bit tight and I will loosen, but, I thought the belts were supposed to be fairly tight to avoid slippage. Zombies, I see you have done the same as me, that is, running the same equipment in both of your vehicles. What have you done differently?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

both cars are set-up differently. the pro4 tends to like harder springs. I use Hara's base set-up from the '04 Roar Nats for asphalt and for the cylone Hara's base set-up for rubber tires on asphalt. the belts should not be tight. mines on the stock position and it's fairly loose... if I press down on the rear belt there's like 1/4-1/2" of slack.

also check the materials on the 'S' suspension...they may not be graphite parts found on the Hara pro4's or cyclones. that will make a difference on how the car handles.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
both cars are set-up differently. the pro4 tends to like harder springs. I use Hara's base set-up from the '04 Roar Nats for asphalt and for the cylone Hara's base set-up for rubber tires on asphalt. the belts should not be tight. mines on the stock position and it's fairly loose... if I press down on the rear belt there's like 1/4-1/2" of slack.

also check the materials on the 'S' suspension...they may not be graphite parts found on the Hara pro4's or cyclones. that will make a difference on how the car handles.
I am running the same suspension from my Pro4. Same arms, same shocks, same springs. Only S parts on the car are the shock towers, diffs belts and parts that cant be shared between the two. For the most part, the Cyclone S is no longer an S. I knew the belt was too tight. Thanx.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey bxpitbull; I see you got tired of dealing with a Discontinued Kit and got another(a new) kit.
I see you chose to stay close to HPI by getting a Hot Bodies Kit. I know you`re not having a Hard Time getting parts.....?
-I`m going through the tired-some Tamiya Parts thing again.
-I was going to get a Cyclone; but it`s Belt Drive.....I`m only into Shaft Drive.

The TB Evo 5 is working Me.....Ha Ha!.....I can`t use anything from My other Tamiya kits.

Take Care.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Actually, I didnt get tired of my Pro 4. It got run over by a car (broken front shock tower, crunched front wheels) and I bought the Cyclone S on a whim. I figured I had enuf Pro 4 parts to hop it up to say what all the fuss was about. Bought the upper and main woven chassis. After getting the car to where it appeared to be "dialed", tested it and it was a slug. I ripped the electronics out, and re-built the Pro 4. The Pro 4 is a rocket and none of these cats that have Cyclones give any real advice. All I get is "it has to be set-up differently than the Pro 4". Well, if the cars are mirror images of each other with minor tweaks, the car just wasnt impressive to say the least. Again, I have my rear belt tight and have to loosen it, but if that doesnt solve the problem, one has to wonder. All of these dudes running modifieds, I ask them what gear ratios they are running, nothing. Guess I have to be a member of the belted club for awhile before I get some help on that. Now I am just blah blah blah. But no, I have not gotten tired of the Pro4. I'll buy another used one for parts. I can drive, so other than getting running over, I dont crash enough to break stuff.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Where do you race Bx? Maybe you can get
some help from the locals. I have been racing on
Long Island and the tristate area for a while. Seems
like someone around here could help you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.