Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree87Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd agree that the pro4 doesn't have much "give" in the drivetrain.
It's not too much of a stretch of your imagination to see that suddenly locking a wheel in a crash will result in a break or bend somewhere.

The TiR units i'm running have survived extremely well. I had a friend drive my car and he managed to drill it into a wooden board (practice day - so no corner dots) and the car survived unscathed save for a wheel bearing and a few loose screws.

Shaft driven cars in particular aren't as forgiving as a belt. My old schumacher NEVER broke a cvd, and those were the plastic units! (I was however, running a front diff also)
Old 01-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
I'd agree that the pro4 doesn't have much "give" in the drivetrain.
It's not too much of a stretch of your imagination to see that suddenly locking a wheel in a crash will result in a break or bend somewhere.

The TiR units i'm running have survived extremely well. I had a friend drive my car and he managed to drill it into a wooden board (practice day - so no corner dots) and the car survived unscathed save for a wheel bearing and a few loose screws.

Shaft driven cars in particular aren't as forgiving as a belt. My old schumacher NEVER broke a cvd, and those were the plastic units! (I was however, running a front diff also)
again on "dogbones"

tc4 w/ stock axles is very durable.
TiR whole cvd's are also very durable (if not more on the bone), but there are infrequent reports of broken axles. (also TiR has a modified thread for the wheel nut to hold the nut better).

everything else will bend too easily in the front when using spool or one-way.

front diff changes everything, you can run much lighter and softer "dogones". in this case stock aluminum parts are prolly fine.

--------

this is the std answer for this thread, i need to put it in a txt file and then just copy and paste so id ont have to type it every month
Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by floodo1
again on "dogbones"

tc4 w/ stock axles is very durable.
TiR whole cvd's are also very durable (if not more on the bone), but there are infrequent reports of broken axles. (also TiR has a modified thread for the wheel nut to hold the nut better).

everything else will bend too easily in the front when using spool or one-way.

front diff changes everything, you can run much lighter and softer "dogones". in this case stock aluminum parts are prolly fine.

--------

this is the std answer for this thread, i need to put it in a txt file and then just copy and paste so id ont have to type it every month
Also add into your cut and paste..."Let off the throttle before you smack the wall, pole, turn marshal".

The bones won't bend if there is no motor force opposing the bones.

I know... mistakes happen!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Tech Regular

Its odd that everyone is talking about breaking CVDs but the only thing I have ever broke is the spindles and the front C hubs. Which I guess its because I run on carpet and the car does not slide out of control like on asphalt. Plus I only run stock. Maybe the best thing would be is just dont hit anything.

Thanks dodgeguy for the carpet setup. It is working GREAT! I am in the ballpark of lap time. Now all I have to do is stay away from the pipe and not break spindles.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've just run 6 packs with my Pro 4 on supermarket parking... it's an awsome car !

I'ven't run this car since october 2005. The Pro 4 is still a great car. Vey fast and reliable. The grip and the handling were impressive despite the low temperature of the asphalt here in Belgium.

Cheers.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

CANT agree more i ran mine today at the club and this thing is dailed perfect only thing i noticed was exessive tire wear im running foams there CANT BE A BETTER CAR THAN A PRO 4
Old 01-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I figure, all the top-level cars look the same anyway.
There's only a few ways to get the power from the motor to the wheels.

Besides, i don't think i'm a good enough driver to be faster with any "new" version of a car over the course of a race. Unless i spent an insane amount of time camped out at a track practicing my lines will never be that good.

One thing that i'd love to see though, is helical cut gears on a shaft drive car. maybe we can get them to run as quiet as a belt! Not to mention the jump in efficiency..
Old 01-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Steering Knuckles

Can anyone tell me how to make the steering knuckles on the Pro4 more bullet proof? I broke 3 today in 4 races. I guess I could get better at driving and not hitting the walls but aside from that is there anything I can do?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I have noticed that the Pro 4 front end can just eat parts up! But it does when I am hitting walls. The car seems to run well. Just do not hit walls
Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyracer
Its odd that everyone is talking about breaking CVDs but the only thing I have ever broke is the spindles and the front C hubs. Which I guess its because I run on carpet and the car does not slide out of control like on asphalt. Plus I only run stock. Maybe the best thing would be is just dont hit anything.

Thanks dodgeguy for the carpet setup. It is working GREAT! I am in the ballpark of lap time. Now all I have to do is stay away from the pipe and not break spindles.
Hey man no problem. It is a great setup. Just a little tweak here and there and it works just about any carpet track.

We have a money race at WOH this Saturday. So I am going to try mod for a change. I have extra parts

Any one has some roll outs for 12 turn thru 7? Prefer inches
Old 01-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well it wasnt just walls. I think I ran into you a couple of times! Sorry bout that. Im usually not that bad. I guess the combo of not racing in 3 months and going straight to brushless my first time back got the best of me.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by or8ital
Can anyone tell me how to make the steering knuckles on the Pro4 more bullet proof? I broke 3 today in 4 races. I guess I could get better at driving and not hitting the walls but aside from that is there anything I can do?

Thanks!
I'm using Jet Alum. knuckles in the front and rear of mine. There is a problem though- the knuckles were too tight around the bearings and caused binding . What you'll need to do is get the Square knuckles ($$$) or remove some anodizing from the inside of the Jets (not easy if you're not handy). Mine work great now for the price You might want to look at some bigger/wider foam bumpers too- modified can be brutal
Old 01-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Blin
I've just run 6 packs with my Pro 4 on supermarket parking... it's an awsome car !

I'ven't run this car since october 2005. The Pro 4 is still a great car. Vey fast and reliable. The grip and the handling were impressive despite the low temperature of the asphalt here in Belgium.

Cheers.
Really liking mine too Bought mine used off a friend, refurbed with some hop-ups (2mm chassis) and drove it for the first time last week. Dialed! Qualified 2nd in Pro 19turn- just 2 secs off of TQ
Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
I'm using Jet Alum. knuckles in the front and rear of mine. There is a problem though- the knuckles were too tight around the bearings and caused binding . What you'll need to do is get the Square knuckles ($$$) or remove some anodizing from the inside of the Jets (not easy if you're not handy). Mine work great now for the price You might want to look at some bigger/wider foam bumpers too- modified can be brutal
P-dub makes a wider bumper that is quite nice. Note that it is so wide that I had to cut notches in the ends so that some of my shells would clear it.

As to alu knuckles, I would be careful using them. While I have no direct experience with the Pro4, in general, if you get a stronger part in a TC, you just break the next thing in line, like the suspension arm in this case.

Ira
Old 01-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Tech Rookie

HI Guys!

Thanks for answering my question on the pivot blocks!

Just one other question regarding them; apparently the car comes with extra blocks, which are these? I just need the info to find out which blocks I have to order separately

After looking at quite a few cars (Cyclone, Shumi EC, T2) I have decided to go for a PRO 4 Hara edition. I race in stock, outdoors only, on medium grip tarmac surfaces and feel that the Hara Pro 4 will be my best choice. (currently run a BMI TC3)

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the age of the PRO 4. I know the Hara edition is only a few months old but I was wondering if you guys happen to know if HPI have plans for a new model any time soon?

The last thing I want is to spend $500 on a new car and parts only to see a new model pop up in 5 months time

Thanks for your help so far!

Last edited by RC_Goat; 01-23-2006 at 01:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.