Search
Like Tree87Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

MDawson..

I ran couple packs through a TIR spool on saturday... and that was about it. then it broke...

installed HPI spool for the rest of the weekend... Still looks new... The key to using the HPI Spool (or any aluminum spool) is to keep it lubed up with Anti-wear Grease.. (that grey-ish metal flake stuff)... doesn't take a whole lot.. it is more a matter of where you apply it to... which would be the dog-bone pins and appropriate contact surfaces on the spool....

The HPI spool is really light...

hope this helps...
Old 12-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

oops
Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Frank McKinney
I've only used it for one race meeting, about 5 runs and no noticeable wear so far. The thing is so light (it's hollow btw) that you won't want to try a steel spool I'm sure! The weight difference between the actual spool and an epoxied one-way is unbelievable. No one that I know of makes a steel version.

What the hell are you doing up so late anyway? Early start to the racing?
Just returned from SoCal and was trolling the web for info on how to make this purple car a bit faster.

Hope everything is good for you.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by OSherman
MDawson..

I ran couple packs through a TIR spool on saturday... and that was about it. then it broke...

installed HPI spool for the rest of the weekend... Still looks new... The key to using the HPI Spool (or any aluminum spool) is to keep it lubed up with Anti-wear Grease.. (that grey-ish metal flake stuff)... doesn't take a whole lot.. it is more a matter of where you apply it to... which would be the dog-bone pins and appropriate contact surfaces on the spool....

hope this helps...
Thanks Orlando.

I will pick one up -
Old 12-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

I knew that the spool used 4 holes instead of 3, but I wasn't aware that the gear mounted on the opposite side, thanks for that.

I know someone who ran the spool for the first time at the Winter Series and broke at least 1 set of gears, but he is quite an agressive driver, and he does tend to break quite a few bits anyway.

I was going to do a round or 2 of the Winter Series but me and my dad didn't get our entries in soon enough, although we do go there every other friday night for practice (my most local club runs once every 2 weeks and is just down the road from me).
Old 12-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by OSherman
MDawson..

hope this helps...
well lubed the spool will show minimal wear...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWH70&P=7

an alternate is using the IRS Pin Cushions made for the TC3 bones.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Glad to see you running a Pro4 Mr Dawson!!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Doug Gaut
Glad to see you running a Pro4 Mr Dawson!!!!
Thanks Doug. Looking forward to learning the car. After 4 years with TL, the idea of running another chassis is exciting. It brings the fun back into r/c.

After the first night of racing the car feels really comfortable, fast and most of all reactive. I have not driven a shaft car since the early days of the TC3 and was happy to find that this car was well capable of handling good power on a high bite surface.

Ill be trolling the thread a little to catch up on the mods that people have found to be helpful. If there is a FAQ some place - someone let me know.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Good to see you running the car Mark. We met at the Portland nats and you were a big help with my losi car...I made the switch after seeing Hara in action that week...lol

Doug is one of our fastest locals and has been running the Pro 4 for awhile...he can help you with some starting info....

Jeff
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MDawson
Thanks Doug. Looking forward to learning the car. After 4 years with TL, the idea of running another chassis is exciting. It brings the fun back into r/c.

After the first night of racing the car feels really comfortable, fast and most of all reactive. I have not driven a shaft car since the early days of the TC3 and was happy to find that this car was well capable of handling good power on a high bite surface.

Ill be trolling the thread a little to catch up on the mods that people have found to be helpful. If there is a FAQ some place - someone let me know.
Another satisfied Pro 4 owner!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWH70&P=7

an alternate is using the IRS Pin Cushions made for the TC3 bones. [/B]
Good point Zombie!! I use those when i ran my TC3 an i still have them, so when i get my HPI spool i change them to my Pro4
Old 12-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jeff Werner
Good to see you running the car Mark. We met at the Portland nats and you were a big help with my losi car...I made the switch after seeing Hara in action that week...lol

Doug is one of our fastest locals and has been running the Pro 4 for awhile...he can help you with some starting info....

Jeff
Hi Jeff.

Haras car was on tilt in Portland. As for help, no worries, I will need some of your Pro4 thoughts now.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Holy Crap, it's Mark Dawson! With a Pro 4 no less, wow. I'll be interested to see what little tidbits Mark can shed on the Pro 4 chassis.

Ok, I was going to fight it but I just can't.....

Looks like Mark got the shaft
Old 12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Holy Crap, it's Mark Dawson! With a Pro 4 no less, wow. I'll be interested to see what little tidbits Mark can shed on the Pro 4 chassis.

Ok, I was going to fight it but I just can't.....

Looks like Mark got the shaft
No one got the shaft. Gary, I can always count on you to get the story right.

I chose to leave the program, it is a little bittersweet to leave a good team, with a good group of guys, but I wanted to enjoy racing more. They will be just fine.

As for me, I like the challenge. HPI has always been more front and center to racers with strong consumer programs like Tamiya and I have always appreciated that consumer support.

It will be fun being a privateer again. Now I can bug the factory guys with questions
Old 12-22-2004, 02:12 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Mark, are you coming back up for the Northwest Carpet champs in a few weeks? Good luck with the Pro4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.