Search
Like Tree87Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Die Hard Losi Guy Tries HPI

I have raced pro-stock at Socal Raceway with my losi many times and have had some TQ's and Victories . I built my hpi and put a setup on it a friend and I came up with and posted 11.7 lap time my first time out. I ran fast Stock Lap earlier that day during racing with my Losi of 12.0 the next fastest lap was posted by a Assoc stock sponsered driver . I still think the Losi is a great car but the HPI was just scary fast. Just thought a bunch of HPI guys would like to know that.

Thanks to Andy at HPI for the trackside customer service without him I would not have been able to test that day

Last edited by TRESFR; 09-29-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

i am picking up my Pro 4 Summer Campiagn Edition tomorrow.. cant wait . :-)
Old 09-30-2004, 04:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Have not broken any A-arms yet but a couple of c-hubs, especially on the left hand ones.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:25 AM
Tech Addict

does anyone know of sources out there that will be making aluminum bulkheads for the Pro 4?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The BRP bumper is great, but I guess I should say I have been racing on carpet, where your car WILL get broken at some point. Sometimes it's your fault, and sometimes you get a little "help".
Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

I agree Rob. We found out last weekend that with carpet + boards things DO break!! We are all going to be installing the Bud's bumpers this weekend but the key is to NOT hit the boards!!

TRESFR, I too am a ex-Losi driver and fully agree with you. The car is capable of running the same or faster lap times than the old Losi but the real key is that its easier to drive.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by racer
does anyone know of sources out there that will be making aluminum bulkheads for the Pro 4?
no one yet... but PRP racing said they might but uncertain at the moment.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

rc-zombies: Spools are on the “should be any time” list. If it’s any consolation, I’m “willing” them to show up any day now (We’ll see how that works).

JohnB: We’re addressing the molds to the C-hubs so they don’t pinch the steering blocks, for now just file your steering blocks down until steering block moves freely.

pro4racer: The main benefit of our ceramic balls is that they are lighter, reducing rotating mass. The newest types of ceramic diff balls use a very light steel as a base and then depend on the ceramic coating for strength. They are roughly the same hardness as carbide balls. I’m sure a lot people will remember the “old school” (was it Buds brand?) white ceramic balls that HAD to have the ceramic rings.

S15Racer: The aluminum cranks have the same cam + spring mechanism for absorbing impacts. If you are breaking front end parts, definitely try my [BRP bumper mod] Also, the main reason for the softer arms is to provide a different feel. If your car has a big enough impact (either error, or bad luck), something will always give.

TRESFR: Glad to see your times improved! Don’t pay too much attention to Andrew’s setups though .

Robk: I have to agree with the carpet being harsh in general for breakages. There is usually so much grip that the front always hits first. Very rarely will you have a loose car where the back will step out and hit first. Asphalt is a little more forgiving since your car has less overall grip. A lot will depend on your track’s boards too. Most carpet tracks have very unfriendly boards! (all the better to sell parts )

Racer: While a set of aluminum bulkheads will look cool, It will always have a tough time doing everything the carbon plastic gearboxes will do. There won’t be any weight savings, and you will lose some rigidity. The screw holes might be more precise, for me that would be money better spent on a metric M3x0.5 tap. A fully tapped carbon gearbox will pretty much put the stock gearbox spot on with even the best aluminum version. However, there is always that need for more purple .

-E
Old 09-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Oh and just in case,

Evicerator: You should use the 50T spur and a 6 T pinion with that setup. However, you may need a mill and a dremel to get it to fit (my pre-emptive strike !!!).
Old 09-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: Die Hard Losi Guy Tries HPI

Originally posted by TRESFR
I have raced pro-stock at Socal Raceway with my losi many times and have had some TQ's and Victories . I built my hpi and put a setup on it a friend and I came up with and posted 11.7 lap time my first time out. I ran fast Stock Lap earlier that day during racing with my Losi of 12.0 the next fastest lap was posted by a Assoc stock sponsered driver . I still think the Losi is a great car but the HPI was just scary fast. Just thought a bunch of HPI guys would like to know that.

Thanks to Andy at HPI for the trackside customer service without him I would not have been able to test that day
*starting to lean... towards... Pro4* hey mark.. your car looked great. mind telling me what motor your ran? im just curious. some of the pro4 drivers i know have glitching problems with monster pro motors outdoors. im wondering if you had any?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Erik S. Any idea if HPI will release a big front bumper for the pro 4?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Die Hard Losi Guy Tries HPI

Originally posted by Hebiki
*starting to lean... towards... Pro4* hey mark..
Keep leaning! It's an awesome car!

I just picked up my second one today. One for carpet....now another for outdoor. After years of Faith in the Losi, I've made the full commitment to the Pro 4...both my parts bin and my garage of cars!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Super Steve: I would like to, but I don't see it in the near future.

-E
Old 09-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Hebiki, many of us have had issues with Monster motors glictching. This is the only motor and I am not sure why. P2ks, any mod motor,etc are all fine. I changed a few things and now the glitches are gone. First thing I did was to add a capactor between the positive and negative terminals on the motor and the other is I make sure the brushes are broke in real well. For some reason if you cut the comm and then install the motor with only a minute or two of break in time or if your motor is in need or refreshing the car will get a glitch and most of the time it is right around the transponder loop. The car will turn left for some reason. At least the few cars I have been around this has been the issue.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

I haven't had any glitching problems with the Monster...I'm using the 3PK w/HRS receiver & S9450 dig. servo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.