Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree87Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Superfly.....I didnt glue mine either and I dont think it has effected anything.....but my rear diff did loosen up the frist 2 runs but then I tightened it more and it did not loosen the on the runs after that. Maybe that center part was not fully seated...??? I dont know but now its ok.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Superfly.....I didnt glue mine either and I dont think it has effected anything.....but my rear diff did loosen up the frist 2 runs but then I tightened it more and it did not loosen the on the runs after that. Maybe that center part was not fully seated...??? I dont know but now its ok
Thanks for the info Kevin.

Last edited by Superfly1967; 04-01-2004 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

How many screws are in the kit? 93? I've looked through my manual a few times and I've counted less than 90..

??

Last edited by Beeb; 04-01-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Buying a Pro 4

Hi,

I am looking a purchasing the Pro 4 since my LHS has two of them on the shelf, but what concerns me is that they have been there for over a month and a half and I have heard that HPI has fixed some minor flaws with the car after it's initial production during the last several runs of production.

So, my question is would I be better off buying it from a hobby shop that just got some new kits in...the ones with all of the flaws worked out?

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

There aren't any "flaws" worked out in such a fashion that the kits are different.

You'll probably want to "boil" the bevel gears in the kit, just to be safe.

I'd buy the kit if I were you. There's not another "improved kit" being offered at this time.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Diff-Inner plastic ring

Originally posted by Superfly1967
I know instructions say to glue inner plastic ring on rear diff, but why? I have run mine at 4 races and have not felt any thing bad developing from not gluing. Gluing it in seems to be asking for trouble with bad alignment. Any info would be appreciated.
Could this not cause the diff to slip slightly as the centre isnt fixed?
I glued mine and it wasnt dead straight so I whacked it in to position,breaking the seal of the glue. After assembly the diff was slipping like crazy, I thought this may have been the problem?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

RBLove, your setup that you posted on the BMI thread have you tried that on a high bite track??? Did you run the car on the Nats track???
Old 04-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by Beeb
There aren't any "flaws" worked out in such a fashion that the kits are different.

You'll probably want to "boil" the bevel gears in the kit, just to be safe.

I'd buy the kit if I were you. There's not another "improved kit" being offered at this time.
Beeb,

I appreciate your reply, but I did read that HPI was going to make the countersinking of the screw holes on the chassis a little deeper due to the first batch of kits being not quite right and that the newer kits had the newer countersink. And I also heard rumors that they were enhancing the diff gears due to them being brittle.

Personally, I think that the boil trick should help with this problem

I believe it was John Shaever (sp) or something like that.

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Michal101
I did read that HPI was going to make the countersinking of the screw holes on the chassis a little deeper due to the first batch of kits being not quite right and that the newer kits had the newer countersink. And I also heard rumors that they were enhancing the diff gears due to them being brittle.
I think the first batch of kits were the ones made for japanese/asian market. The US kits should have the countersinking correct.

As for the brittle gears, I think someone said they're making a delrin diff but I don't know if it'd be included in the kits.

I could be wrong. Someone correct me if I am.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default Slipping Diffs???

Guys;

Are you breaking-in, running-in your Diffs after assembly/rebuild?

It is important to do this with fresh parts to seat the Balls into the Diff rings. Otherwise slippage will occur.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Used Pro4 anyone??

Well-I just cleaned out the closet and hopefully I will sell enough in the next week to afford a Pro4 and then buy the BMI chassis and front diff for it.

If any of you guys bought it-built it right (no hack build jobs please), but dont want it now-e-mail me and if the timing and price are right-I'll take it off your hands. Since I a replacing the chassis anyways-the chassis can be scratched up, but diff cases and driveline, etc. must be mint!!

Thanks,
Ray
Old 04-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Slipping Diffs???

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Are you breaking-in, running-in your Diffs after assembly/rebuild?

It is important to do this with fresh parts to seat the Balls into the Diff rings. Otherwise slippage will occur.

Is there a specail technique to breaking in the diffs? Or, do you just need to adjust it after a few runs?

Sorry for the silly questions. But, I am fairly new to this.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:43 AM
RCTech Member #2

Default Re: Re: Slipping Diffs???

Originally posted by StewartFan20
Is there a specail technique to breaking in the diffs? Or, do you just need to adjust it after a few runs?

I just play with the diff before putting it in my car, then make sure to check it every run for the first 3-4 runs. I know I tightened mine up twice, but it's been fine since.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Slipping Diffs???

Originally posted by StewartFan20

I run 2-3 packs on mine on the bench at slow speed to break in the drive train... then adjust if needed....
after a few packs at the track...check the diff and adjust if needed...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

How are the diffs holding up to mod motors? Anyone melt one yet or snap an outdrive by pure rip? I'll be running 8 and 9 turns in my sedans this summer.

Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.