Search
Like Tree28Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:09 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys that run rcshox diff.

Yesterday installed it, and there are 4 questions:
1. For front pulley each side was different, does it matter how to install it?
2. Are 4 pins for center and 4 for front ok for high traction carpet as starting point?
3. With front pulley do I set diff as tight as with stock - approximately half turn?
4. Diff seamed louder than stock ones with good mesh is it ok?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by janisdaubergs

2. Are 4 pins for center and 4 for front ok for high traction carpet as starting point?
3. With front pulley do I set diff as tight as with stock - approximately half turn?

Thanks in advance.
I tried post it in the RCshox thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...vices-163.html just so you know because ill like to know it to
Old 11-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dMITIj
I tried post it in the RCshox thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...vices-163.html just so you know because ill like to know it to
Your answer is there. I saw the post this morning.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by janisdaubergs

Thanks in advance.
I'm not a rep from RC Shox, but this is my experiance running the combo for several months. (We run baldies on our high traction indoor dirt track)

1. No, doesn't matter.
2. I'm running 6 pins for the center and 3 rollers in the front.
3. When doing the flick method I get under half of a turn, but not quite 1/3rd of a turn.
4. Yes, this is OK. It has to do with the teeth profile on the new spur gear and possibly the material its made of. My first one sounded like a turbo spooling and my current one sounds almost like a chainsaw. Not optimal, but its better to be a hair too tight than too loose and grind up the gear.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:53 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdraughon
What are the best methods to limit bottoming out the chassis? My 22_4 has two races on it (and I'm relatively new) and it is bottoming out on moderate bumps. i run on a high traction indoor track (Beachline). is this a droop, spring or dampening problem? I'm running box stock, 13.5, shock ends all the way in, ride height at 22.
Try this setup from JR Mitch, who runs at Beachline.

http://jrmitch.net/2015/08/22-4-set-...raceway-82215/
Old 11-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

some one told me up dated kit with gear diff
Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Spring cups keep popping off, yeah I got tired of that too! So, I designed some new ones. Check them out: http://shpws.me/KO2B
My first set will be arriving in about 2 weeks. I'll post pics when they get here, until then they're considered a beta product.

Update on the gear diffs. Ran into a snag testing out the gears. I'm still looking for a CNC shop than can help out. May have to look overseas. Message me if you know of anyone than could help.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default xx4 slipper setting

Hi Guys,

I run on astro turf and I'd like my car to drive more like a 2wd. I was using different slipper Pads on my xx-4 in the past to have more slippage up front. It caused some middle belt issues but I really like how the car felt. The middle belt is a lot better on the 22-4 so I'd like to use that feature again.

Anybody know if I could find a more abrasive pad for the rear? WOrst case I'll try to find the xx-4 ones.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by J@UNE
Hi Guys,

I run on astro turf and I'd like my car to drive more like a 2wd. I was using different slipper Pads on my xx-4 in the past to have more slippage up front. It caused some middle belt issues but I really like how the car felt. The middle belt is a lot better on the 22-4 so I'd like to use that feature again.

Anybody know if I could find a more abrasive pad for the rear? WOrst case I'll try to find the xx-4 ones.

I have a problem with my slipper bias as well in my 22-4 except my rear slips more than the front (front slipper pad)

When I tighten it it seems to tighten the whole thing and not the bias. It's like it had 65% front and 35% rear with the slippage

I need a fix as well.

any ideas Frank Root?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 09:12 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trutledge83
I have a problem with my slipper bias as well in my 22-4 except my rear slips more than the front (front slipper pad)

When I tighten it it seems to tighten the whole thing and not the bias. It's like it had 65% front and 35% rear with the slippage

I need a fix as well.

any ideas Frank Root?

Thanks
We have not noticed any issues with this on the team. We tested the bias before the 22-4 release and found no performance benefits.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by trutledge83

I need a fix as well.

any ideas Frank Root?

Thanks
These may be worth checking out:http://www.rcshox.com/losi-22-4-garodisc/

Not sure if you'd want to run one of those and a stock one, but its something.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah I though about those.

Ill give it a try! Thx
Old 11-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J@UNE
Yeah I though about those.

Ill give it a try! Thx
Are you running slipper or FT4wd?

I do not miss the 2 different pads on the xx4. That rough pad on the steel plate liked to melt stuff when it slipped a lil too much.

I can't speak to how hard the RCshox stuff is on the belts, pulleys, diffs.. But if your slipper doesn't slip, even a tiny bit, all that torque goes straight to the belts & diffs = destruction.

Talked with a kid at Fastlane, last weekend, he asked how many front belts I've gone through Bcz he has had his 22-4 for 2month & stripped 3 front belts. He heard my clicker & that's why he was asking me. Short story, he set his slipper nut flush when he built his kit & never touched it after that. He had been constantly re-tightening his diffs, replacing diff rings, & always heard a belt slipping when accelerating. I asked why he never adjusted the slipper a little, or as the TLR vid recommends? He didn't know of the vid & didn't want to risk giving up any punch...

Either way, the 22-4 on the Worlds Astro track was dialed! So, there are clearly good things in the pipeline!
I just keep counting Thursday's!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Beau S
Are you running slipper or FT4wd?

I do not miss the 2 different pads on the xx4. That rough pad on the steel plate liked to melt stuff when it slipped a lil too much.

I can't speak to how hard the RCshox stuff is on the belts, pulleys, diffs.. But if your slipper doesn't slip, even a tiny bit, all that torque goes straight to the belts & diffs = destruction.

Talked with a kid at Fastlane, last weekend, he asked how many front belts I've gone through Bcz he has had his 22-4 for 2month & stripped 3 front belts. He heard my clicker & that's why he was asking me. Short story, he set his slipper nut flush when he built his kit & never touched it after that. He had been constantly re-tightening his diffs, replacing diff rings, & always heard a belt slipping when accelerating. I asked why he never adjusted the slipper a little, or as the TLR vid recommends? He didn't know of the vid & didn't want to risk giving up any punch...

Either way, the 22-4 on the Worlds Astro track was dialed! So, there are clearly good things in the pipeline!
I just keep counting Thursday's!
I've been running FT4wd with a center diff since i purchased the car and have yet to blow a front belt. I've been running the car for over a year now.

Either there is a mfg defect in a small percentage of 22-4s that cause them to eat belts or there is an assembly issue. I've only seen 1 of the 6 22-4s eat front belts.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBMaster
I've been running FT4wd with a center diff since i purchased the car and have yet to blow a front belt. I've been running the car for over a year now.

Either there is a mfg defect in a small percentage of 22-4s that cause them to eat belts or there is an assembly issue. I've only seen 1 of the 6 22-4s eat front belts.
So there is zero give or slip in your center gear diff? And how tight are you running your diffs?

Yes, I don't personally know anyone that's eaten a front belt, with clicker or FT4wd.. But everyone I know sets their slipper appropriately, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.