Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Scale Killing Machines

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SOuthernFRIED
One word cure.... DISCLAIMER

All tracks should have one. Sign it or don't race...
That helps, but in reality I can sue you because your fly is down. I doubt I would get very far I court. However a fat guy won a case against McDonald's, said they made him fat. I think most rc racers are a little more down to earth then that, however it doesn't change that you can sue anyone for anyone reason. If you don't have a case that person still has to deal with all the legal fees. I think the disclaimer would help, but reducing the likelyhood of an incident would be more effective.

Keep your fly up
Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
It's not the guns or the cars, it's the people using them.
I'm pretty sure a few people in this world could make deadly use of plastic silverware.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I watched a E Buggy at Motorama 2011 hit a marshall in the head when he left the lip of a double. He was knocked out cold for a good 10-15 minutes. I still love E Buggy though.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Stupid turn marshals, and bad drivers need to be dealt with accordingly. If in practice you can't turn a certain lap time, you don't get to race. If you suck at marshalling, you don't get to race. The influx of people because of SC trucks has ruined racing. About 15 years ago it meant something to be a good marshal and a good driver. Now, it's strap in as much hp as you can, and try to see if you can blow a hole through the wall at the end of the strait or jump entire sections of the track. Marshalling is just an inconvenience. Racing is ruined.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

"1/8th scales don't kill people, 1/8th scale drivers kill people"
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The simple fact of the matter is that there is no "right answer' here. Our track races 1/8 e-buggy and only allows fellow racers to marshall and absolutely no kids are allowed to marshall 1/8 scale. Honestly people worry about their size but my 1/10 scale 4 wheel drive with a 6.5 could take you out just as quick if it hits you right and its faster. Disclaimers dont work. How do I know? Easy. A guy at a past track went out. Marshalled with flip flops on and a car ripped his nail off. He sued the track and it shut down. Everytime you marshall in this hobby you take a risk. Its the people who take advantage of that are at fault. Its the people who are totally fine until something happens to them. Then their understanding just flies out the window. This type of deal happens all the time in retail and other places as well. Me personally I get more anxious on an outdoor track where 1/8 scales can get up to speed then I ever will in a indoor track. My closest encounter to getting hit in the head was outdoors. To me it's just an excuse.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Stupid turn marshals, and bad drivers need to be dealt with accordingly. If in practice you can't turn a certain lap time, you don't get to race. If you suck at marshalling, you don't get to race. The influx of people because of SC trucks has ruined racing. About 15 years ago it meant something to be a good marshal and a good driver. Now, it's strap in as much hp as you can, and try to see if you can blow a hole through the wall at the end of the strait or jump entire sections of the track. Marshalling is just an inconvenience. Racing is ruined.

It doesnt work that way just because your not a good turnmarshall means that you cant race hum that would be a bad idea. Now yes there is Turnmarshalls who should watch behind them or just use common sense . But you crash you dont blame the turnmarshall there not paid .

Your wrong on the SC class runing racing without it ever coming out i think this Hobby and track /LHS would be gone so be glad.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Gasmonkey
The simple fact of the matter is that there is no "right answer' here. Our track races 1/8 e-buggy and only allows fellow racers to marshall and absolutely no kids are allowed to marshall 1/8 scale. Honestly people worry about their size but my 1/10 scale 4 wheel drive with a 6.5 could take you out just as quick if it hits you right and its faster. Disclaimers dont work. How do I know? Easy. A guy at a past track went out. Marshalled with flip flops on and a car ripped his nail off. He sued the track and it shut down. Everytime you marshall in this hobby you take a risk. Its the people who take advantage of that are at fault. Its the people who are totally fine until something happens to them. Then their understanding just flies out the window. This type of deal happens all the time in retail and other places as well. Me personally I get more anxious on an outdoor track where 1/8 scales can get up to speed then I ever will in a indoor track. My closest encounter to getting hit in the head was outdoors. To me it's just an excuse.

I like to smack the Judge and the guy upside the head for taking a case like that because of a idiot wearing Flop flops turnmarshalling ! You turnmarshall you get hurt its a your own risk ! Ive got hurt but never even thought about doing something stupid like that.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Eb48 1/8 buggy with 1900kv on 4s vs sct410 with 4600kv on 2s....what's the difference? The weight of the larger battery is somewhat counteracted by the heavy sc body...I would say at this point the no 1/8 buggy rule is outdated unless you stop 4wd sc also...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree with all of this.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I wouldn't blame it just on SC. SC is where most "new" people seem to be entering the hobby these days. Or maybe E-buggy. But they have NO understanding of racing at all. Some want to learn, some don't. Some want to change the way things have been done in order to make it an "activity" for their kids, etc. etc. Sometimes you just have to take the time to explain everything to them because I'm sure there was one day that we each can remember being new and lost as well and not having any idea what it meant to pick up and return your handout transponder.

I've never understood why some guys insist on driving strapped, even though they are clearly lacking the skills to really attempt doing it. They wreck, break parts, hit innocent cars on the track. All in an effort to go faster.

It's like IFMAR qualifying. To this day there are racers that can't understand that you're not racing the car next to you during this situation.

As far as any track is concerned, they should have significant LIABILITY INSURANCE. It's not real expensive and should be mandatory before you open the doors.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My local indoor track just this past winter season allowed e buggies to run on the electric days. This was a hard fought battle to even get them in the door. The ebuggy drivers need to police themselves in regards to bad/out of control drivers. The ebuggy/truggy bashers would make it a game of breaking the 10th scales during practice days. they weeded out those that wish to create carnage and built up a nice following and turn out for E-buggies. They dont allow kids to marshal 1/8th scale and they have their own practice times to help everyone get safe clean practice. I have been hit with a b4 while marshaling. It was down behind the triple when I looked for traffic, I got to the down car then bam. Broken pinky. Driver felt really bad about it but was just one of those things that happened. I find that the 4x4 sc drivers are more out of control than the e-buggy guys.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Comes down to a good, alert race director on the mic. Tell the drivers, in any class, that if they are driving out of control, they will be told to pull their car off the track during the race. Enforce the rule and make it stick, even if it comes down to telling a repeat offender who won't even try to improve to not come back to the track.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The ones at fault are the ones holding the transmitter.

if you cannot learn throttle control then you have absolutely no business running a 1/8 e buggy on any track, much less a smaller indoor.

I have raced 1/8 e buggy on 4s with unlimited motor for 3 years and the majority of that was at a rather small 30x60 indoor track with no majro incidents of any kind. maybe the occasional ankle tap but no injuries.

it comes down to driver responsibility. and track directors policing. if you see someone who is putting others in danger then talk to them.

4x4 sct are becoming just as fast and heavy as the 1/8 buggies so banning e buggy is pointless unless 4x4 sct is gone too.

we never let anyone under 16 marshall for 1/8 classes. EVER. and parents who bring their kids to the track NEED to be watching them, and tell them how to marshall. not just to blindly run across 3 lanes of track right before a big jump to flip over dads car.

1/8 buggy CAN be ran indoors on small tracks, and its a lot of fun and challanging, but you have to be smart about it. and track directors need to be on top of it. race days, and practice alike.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Way back once upon a time we ran at a track that is no longer around. This was pre-E so nearly everything was nitro.. Classes were packed and we had alot of new faces from race to race. In the pits we noticed people complaining about getting burned when turn marshalling. We also started seeing friends of friends hop skip and jump 3 lanes to marshal their "buddies".

What could we do???

We started having safety meetings prior to every race. We explained how to marshal. We explained the difference between grabbing a Nitro and grabbing an Electric. We went thru the how to's and the how not's..

It really helped. We saw a huge improvement and people felt safer. You have to remember, there are people at the track that have never been exposed to a race environment and truly have no clue how to do things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.