Search
Like Tree17Likes

Tekno SCT410 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ArmySSG
Yes I found out the hard way about the tires rubbing the body if the offset is wrong..I just bought a brand new pair of Slash AKA Cityblocks and didn't want them to go unused so I threw em on the 410.. It handles great but once again it's a really wide stance... The only set of SCTE offset tires and wheels I have are the AKA handlebars which unless the blue groove is showing are useless for our track..
Put your wheels in the oven @ 200 deg. for 30 minutes and the tires will come right off with a little help.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Put your wheels in the oven @ 200 deg. for 30 minutes and the tires will come right off with a little help.
NO NO NO!!! The AKA red foam will get destroyed.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Afterward leave your house for a few days till the stink goes way. Acetone vapors to remove the tires works best.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Just received my EB48.2 kit tonight--super stoked for the build!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Had fun with my truck yesterday. Rear end is a little loose. Need to work on my suspension now. Had my EPA at 70%
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Before you attempt to remove your tires, you may want to watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjcdiViDtQ
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There seem to be 3 popular methods to getting tires off wheels.

1.Acetone:Stick a gallon of acetone at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and suspend the wheels/tires above the liquid so that the vapors soften the glue. From what I have read this method takes about 3 days until they come off but they come off clean. Use remaining acetone to clean up wheels. The downside is that the acetone may eat your foams and clay compound tires tend to react poorly and are not usable afterward.

2.Boil them: People say 20 min per side but I tried it and it takes forever and will probably ruin your foams. My tires also ended up stretched out even though I never got them off. Finally got them off after baking and my foams were all shriveled up (jconcepts).

3.Bake them: I finally did this after boiling didnt work (at least not very well). I tried a bunch of different temperatures and times and the best was 300* for 10min per side. I used a toaster oven and it fits 2 wheels in at a time no problem and I plugged it in outside so I didnt have nasty smoke inside (smoke was not 1/2 as bad at 300* vs 350*). They pull right off (if they dont stick them back in for 5 min and try again) but it does leave some crispy CA residue that you will need to get off. You can use acetone on the wheels and on any non clay compound tires, I ended up just cutting/scraping the glue off the tire bead with xacto and lexan scissors. They were a little rough but they glued back up fine and I dont think I will have any problems with them.

Another interesting fact, I seem to have developed a allergy
to CA. About 2 hours after gluing up a set of tires I start sneezing and my throat gets really dry and I cough every 5 min. Lasts about 3 days, now I wear a respirator while I glue and if its is nice out I do it outside to try to avoid the fumes. Seems stupid and I am not typically the guy wearing safety glasses or worrying much about stuff like that but I highly recommend getting a respirator to use while gluing. Took forever to figure out what it was because it took 2 or 3 hours for symptoms to start, sure enough there are lots of reports on the internet of similar reactions.

Originally Posted by Hoese37
NO NO NO!!! The AKA red foam will get destroyed.
I did some last weekend and they are fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone gotten the Viper VTX8 and Tekin Pro4 4600 to work together? I am building my SCT now and I want to set it up right from the the start. If that means I have to buy a Gen2 also I will even though I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No reason they wont work together.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Last time I removed tires I just cut them off with razor blade then sanded the little extra bits of rubber off with the cutting wheel on my dremmel. Took me 1 episode of Seinfeld to complete.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SMR 510RR
There seem to be 3 popular methods to getting tires off wheels.

1.Acetone:Stick a gallon of acetone at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and suspend the wheels/tires above the liquid so that the vapors soften the glue. From what I have read this method takes about 3 days until they come off but they come off clean. Use remaining acetone to clean up wheels. The downside is that the acetone may eat your foams and clay compound tires tend to react poorly and are not usable afterward.

2.Boil them: People say 20 min per side but I tried it and it takes forever and will probably ruin your foams. My tires also ended up stretched out even though I never got them off. Finally got them off after baking and my foams were all shriveled up (jconcepts).

3.Bake them: I finally did this after boiling didnt work (at least not very well). I tried a bunch of different temperatures and times and the best was 300* for 10min per side. I used a toaster oven and it fits 2 wheels in at a time no problem and I plugged it in outside so I didnt have nasty smoke inside (smoke was not 1/2 as bad at 300* vs 350*). They pull right off (if they dont stick them back in for 5 min and try again) but it does leave some crispy CA residue that you will need to get off. You can use acetone on the wheels and on any non clay compound tires, I ended up just cutting/scraping the glue off the tire bead with xacto and lexan scissors. They were a little rough but they glued back up fine and I dont think I will have any problems with them.

Another interesting fact, I seem to have developed a allergy
to CA. About 2 hours after gluing up a set of tires I start sneezing and my throat gets really dry and I cough every 5 min. Lasts about 3 days, now I wear a respirator while I glue and if its is nice out I do it outside to try to avoid the fumes. Seems stupid and I am not typically the guy wearing safety glasses or worrying much about stuff like that but I highly recommend getting a respirator to use while gluing. Took forever to figure out what it was because it took 2 or 3 hours for symptoms to start, sure enough there are lots of reports on the internet of similar reactions.

I did some last weekend and they are fine.
J concepts foam seem to hold up ok in the acetone too. I just submerge mine in the acetone and only takes about 24 hours to get them completely clean.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryanpatrickgore
Last time I removed tires I just cut them off with razor blade then sanded the little extra bits of rubber off with the cutting wheel on my dremmel. Took me 1 episode of Seinfeld to complete.
If your tires are shot and just want to save the wheels and foams then cut the tires off (in half) remove the foam, soak the wheels for a day and the rest of the rubber comes right off.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Or you can just use jconcepts glue and the tires will just fly off the wheels after you run a couple laps
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandonmorris44
Or you can just use jconcepts glue and the tires will just fly off the wheels after you run a couple laps
Okay, that's funny.

-----

All this Tire removal stuff just makes me enjoy tossing the tire in the garbage or rotating out slicks THAT much more.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SC Shaun
Okay, that's funny.

-----

All this Tire removal stuff just makes me enjoy tossing the tire in the garbage or rotating out slicks THAT much more.
Oooooh, so you're that guy with all the money in this thread. Us peasants have to re-use as often as we can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.