Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Congratz!
there are a lot of tuning options for this truck...
exoteck chassis
rcshox.com garodiscs, 2 stage pistons, center ball diff
you will definatly need swaybars
what I have found is that the truck is a little light and and too flexable and benefists from weight down low i.e. exotek chassis.
The center ball diff that Mantis(RCshox.com) and I have been testing has shown to work very well and makes the truck easyer to drivehard, and you dont need to run extremely thick front diff fluids, I am using 7k front and 3k rear.
Good luck
I was reading about that ball diff, I may have to get that!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

So I've read that the F/R diffs can be quite a chore to remove, anyone have any input on that? I kind of looked through the manual and it didn't seem that bad, but I'm sure those of you that are avid racers and are rebuilding your diffs often can chime in on what short cuts or tips you might have.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
So I've read that the F/R diffs can be quite a chore to remove, anyone have any input on that? I kind of looked through the manual and it didn't seem that bad, but I'm sure those of you that are avid racers and are rebuilding your diffs often can chime in on what short cuts or tips you might have.

Thanks!
its not bad, just make sure you have a cordless driver and the AE driver bits
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks!
If you have an electric driver, and some driver bits, it a piece of cake, 5 min max! I actually use my panasonic brushless impact driver to take screws out(1 sec per screw) and then use my dremel crdless driver to put them back in
Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks!
This is probably one of the easiest trucks to work on imho as long as you have a power driver. The nice thing is nearly every screw is a 2.5mm cap head. You rarely ever have to change tips for anything. It just looks intimidating until you learn how it fits together.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

I have a real nice Dewalt I use for everything and the Hudy tips, so no problems there.

I also take things like "oh god this is hard to do!" with a grain of salt hehe.

How do you all find your diff fluids holding up? I do race the 8.2 nitro (my primary class) and 8.2e buggy's (love them both!) and typically I'll replace all the diff fluids in the nitro after quals and in the ebug around about 1hr of run time (it seems to be a lot easier on the diffs except the middle, which is easy enough to change). I find the AE fluids hold up really well! Just curious what your experiences are so far with the sc10.

Thanks again guys, sorry for the barrage of questions, trying to get as much info as I can as quickly as possible.

FTR, I was planning on running an RX8/SC4X 4.5 w/ 12t combo, if you have any input n that as well.

Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
This is probably one of the easiest trucks to work on imho as long as you have a power driver. The nice thing is nearly every screw is a 2.5mm cap head. You rarely ever have to change tips for anything. It just looks intimidating until you learn how it fits together.
That I do! And I also love that most of the screws are 2.5mm cap heads on my 8.2's.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

For me the diffs slowly leak no matter what I do. I refresh the oil every 3-4 racedays.

fwiw, I would pick the Pro4 4000kv over the 4.5 sc4x. Runs cooler with more power and a lighter package. Also, the throttle response is just more linear than the sc4x to me.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I have a real nice Dewalt I use for everything and the Hudy tips, so no problems there.

I also take things like "oh god this is hard to do!" with a grain of salt hehe.

How do you all find your diff fluids holding up? I do race the 8.2 nitro (my primary class) and 8.2e buggy's (love them both!) and typically I'll replace all the diff fluids in the nitro after quals and in the ebug around about 1hr of run time (it seems to be a lot easier on the diffs except the middle, which is easy enough to change). I find the AE fluids hold up really well! Just curious what your experiences are so far with the sc10.

Thanks again guys, sorry for the barrage of questions, trying to get as much info as I can as quickly as possible.

FTR, I was planning on running an RX8/SC4X 4.5 w/ 12t combo, if you have any input n that as well.

Thanks again!
i use Kyosho grease instead of fluid, works better and last about twice as long with barely any leakage. +1 on the pro4 4000kv, go with 14 or 15 and 60t spur. here is mine with that combo with 50c saddles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjlWB...w&feature=plcp

make a decision about what your going to do with the pinning or not before you build your difs. i personally thinking pinning is the best option (unless you go center dif). unpinned 30k front, pinned 10k front. its good to see SOMEBODY from AE actually on this thread!!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just recently replaced the shims in my diffs with 15mmx5mmx0.3mm Xray shims. They seem to limit the outdrive play as well as two stock shims, have zero parasitic drag, and being a thicker washer, I think they will stand up better... time will tell, but so far, I am happy with the fit.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Krio
For me the diffs slowly leak no matter what I do. I refresh the oil every 3-4 racedays.

fwiw, I would pick the Pro4 4000kv over the 4.5 sc4x. Runs cooler with more power and a lighter package. Also, the throttle response is just more linear than the sc4x to me.
+1 on both points

AE FT alum wheels hexes, so you don't lose the pin constantly

also JC hazard wheels if you can use them, sponsors etc

spares: arms, front knuckles, front cvd bones
Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

as im building my kit i just installed the belt and it says make sure rotates freely but the belt dont move so either im overthinking or i messed up somewhere can some please help a guy out.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by a.seffrood
as im building my kit i just installed the belt and it says make sure rotates freely but the belt dont move so either im overthinking or i messed up somewhere can some please help a guy out.
You are overthinking it lol. You can adjust tension once you have wheels on the car and roll it. But does it move a little or not at all?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can somebody tell me why the front bones on my truck are bending? If i get the factory team shiny bones will it prevent it? thank guys and hope i get a responce
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Factory stock slipper is way underrated, don't get fooled by
those who say it is not performance worthly ...
I agree. The HD pads help a lot and you may want to try running without the slipper cover if the slipper is getting over heated.

Problem is that once the pads start to heat up the slip too much and makes your truck feel like the battery is dumping.

Also, with a lot of the guys getting the center dif, you I bet you can buy used basket, garodiscs, and vented slipper off one of us for cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.