Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Harbor freight has some cheep dental picks that I use for the sun gear.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
I just finished tearing my truck completely apart to check for wear and to get it cleaned up for winter....quick question:

Is there any trick to getting the sun gear out of the diff? The one that is deep down inside the diff housing?

The one that you get easy access to came off easily once I blasted the gears with motor cleaner to get rid of most of the oil, but that's not working for the one inside the diff housing...and I can't get anything looped under the gear that would allow me to pull it out!

Help!
I use a 90 degree pick ( like a dentist uses ) you can buy 4 pick set cheaply from many places craftsman , snap on ,home depot , etc . They come in handy for many things .
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
i think you are misinformed on the Garodisc, not only do they have more grip but they also allow more slip and are not as grabby as the stock type pads. we have also been experimentig with the B44 Garodisc on the rear and normal on the front with great results, the B4 seies have less grip. in a drag race teh garodisc will continue to slip but still out accelerate the HD pads even when they "lock up". just wanted to make sure you understand the logic behind them and how they work!
Mantis, I fully understand how they work and have driven cars with them and played with them. I just don't own a pair. The kinetic friction constant (Fc) is much closer to the static friction constant (Fs) so when they do slip they are still pulling almost as hard as if they were locked up. The Fc of the stock pads are a good bit lower than the Fs so when they slip you loose a good chunk of pull. If I had to roughly assign a Mu number to the stock pads and the Garodisks I'd say its something like this:
Garo Static: 0.85
Garo Kinetic: 0.70
Stock Static: 0.75
Stock Kinetic: 0.50

On that b44, did you decouple it or leave it stock?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Beat me to it !
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I just finished tearing my truck completely apart to check for wear and to get it cleaned up for winter....quick question:

Is there any trick to getting the sun gear out of the diff? The one that is deep down inside the diff housing?

The one that you get easy access to came off easily once I blasted the gears with motor cleaner to get rid of most of the oil, but that's not working for the one inside the diff housing...and I can't get anything looped under the gear that would allow me to pull it out!

Help!
I use these, no problems.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Grip-Handle
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Help!
I just turn my upside down tap it on a table a few times and they fall out
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Krio, why the wide wheels rear only? Just to keep the steering tamed down?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Krio, why the wide wheels rear only? Just to keep the steering tamed down?
Sorry, I should have clarified. I use the xxx-sct rear rims on all 4 corners of the sc10.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by munrath
Cleaning putty works every time
Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
Harbor freight has some cheep dental picks that I use for the sun gear.
Originally Posted by Dano628
I use a 90 degree pick ( like a dentist uses ) you can buy 4 pick set cheaply from many places craftsman , snap on ,home depot , etc . They come in handy for many things .

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I'm going to try the putty first, just because I'd like to pull it straight off, rather than stress the metal by wedging it side to side with the pick. I know it's not much stress, but with the horrible wobble that mine developed, anything I can do to keep it nice and tight, I will!

Originally Posted by khshapiro
I just turn my upside down tap it on a table a few times and they fall out
I tried that for about 5 minutes, then gave up....it just wasn't coming! Maybe, since mine was from the first batch, the tolerances were different... even the sun gear that was easily accessible took about 2 minutes of wiggling and wedging with a thin knife to get it off...no way that thing was just going to pop off by tapping it!

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vegatron75
I added another stock shim under the sun gear on both sides, no more wobble and feels smooth. Hope it holds up.
Vega, did you have to buy an entire rebuild kit to get the extra stock washers? It seems odd that you can buy crush tubes or spacers by themselves, but you can't get a set of shims without buying the parts that the shims go with.... I mean, I have a rebuild kit, but I don't want to break into it for some shims, then when I go to rebuild the full diff, the shims are all worn out too, and then I have nothing....
Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

BGB you having diff probs too? I bought my rebuild kit today.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:45 PM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Anyone tried these washers/shims for the Diff outdrives (under the sungear)?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Gear-Washer-10

Last edited by JS; 11-16-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My shocks wont stop leaking ! It's insane! Replaced the o-rings and that didn't help at all. Any more ideas?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evil Genius jr.
My shocks wont stop leaking ! It's insane! Replaced the o-rings and that didn't help at all. Any more ideas?
Where are they leaking. You need to make sure the bottom shock cartrige is real tight.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Just ran across this, t bone racing front and rear bumper. anyone try this?
http://t-bone-racing.net/Short-Cours...DA01-p626.html

Im on my 3rd front bumper. I think I will give it a try afer this one breaks.

I should aslo have my exotech chassis and RCSHOX.com ACKbar soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.