Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
1:
Make sure there is a mini fridge within arm's reach stocked with your favorite frosty beverage. All of your tools should be at hand; all of them.

2:
The ball ends are a BITCH to snap onto the balls. Use a large pair of smooth duckbill pliers and they snap right on; don't EVER try to get them off.

drink frosty beverage

3:
As outlined on the first page, pay special attention to the preassembled shocks and diffs. As a general rule, don't EVER trust something that's already assembled.

drink frosty beverage

4:
Make sure you already have the HD slipper pads AE sells. Don't ever bother with the stock slipper pads. Use those as spares if you have 2w AE cars.

drink frosty beverage

5:
There's a screw that goes into the center/rear of the front skidplate/bumper doodad. Make DAMN sure you put the proper size screw in there, or you will scratch your head wondering why your steering binds.

drink frosty beverage

6:
TAKE YOUR TIME assembling/setting up the servo. Trust ThunderbirdJunkie on this.
drink frosty beverage

sorry had to add more detail to help out lol
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
And last time I checked, stacks of aftermarket parts don't equate lower lap times.

Bingo.

Some aftermarket parts do really improve cars, but most of them (aluminium screws, ti nitride shafts, aluminium c hubs, and so on) hardly make any difference.

At most, they make a difference together. Al screws do nothing on their own, but paired to ti turnbuckles, lightened axles and so on, they end up adding.

Nothing VERY significant though, but still something.

Other things, like in this case, modified clutches, reduced dampener friction, and chassis braces, do really make a difference on the drivestyle of a car.

The driver is the biggest variable though.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

That video is slightly inaccurate. The Ballistic 550s (the black ones) fit without modification. The end bell is cut back to make clearancing the chassis unnecessary.

It is easier to get it in/out if you loosen a couple of chassis screws, but other than that, no drama.
Glad to hear that and i'll confirm either way when I get to that step. One of the reasons I went with that combo was that it had "SC10 4x4" right in the title and came with a 32p 12t pinon. I was also half assuming it would fit without major mods as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by special_k
drink frosty beverage

sorry had to add more detail to help out lol
A few bowls (of cereal of course) and plenty of munchies suit me better
Old 10-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default build requirements

I have to second the bowls( ) but need to add some good beats on the ipod blasting in the garage.

Have fun .. check everything 2x on the front end as you dont want to have to pull it apart 2x times like some others did on their build to get it right
the new ballistic drops right in with no issues at all , the 12 is too small of pinion IMO i am running 16 /62 right now with no heat issues but running fans on esc and heat sink and fan on motor . I like to keep em cool.

The hat trick from marcus at mantis of 2 stage pistons , saddle pack mount and garodiscs , 27.5 ft and 22,5 rear shock oils 30 front and 7 rear diff oils , mtk basket , chasis brace , blue springs all around and med sway bars all around gold barcodes on de wheels are a perfect set up for me on a med indoor high bite track

Have fun and enjoy the truck
Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

i don't understand you guys running 16T pinions. I dropped pinions slowly and got more consistent and lost motor heat. I prefer an 11T and it works on a small tight track and an 1/8th scale outdoor track i run on. Eating up infields for breakfast.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

thanks, just finished masking the body, going to be a long night...

I have a 13t and a 60t spur as well may go ahead and run 13/62 for starters, I run in my grass backyard as well so need to keep it consertave til I get a few packs though
Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey guys, with all the talk of blowing out idler gears with the pinned topshaft, I decided to try the hot racing hard anno idler gear. well, i got them today, so i thought i would post some picks.

In this pick, I dont know if you can see, but the plastic idler gear is partialy worn out.

They went in well, and fit well. i can also tell my truck will be noisier.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default my ride in action

this was at the backyard track in oxford mich for the factory tracks series
Attached Thumbnails SC10 4x4 Thread-file-1902.jpg   SC10 4x4 Thread-file-822.jpg   SC10 4x4 Thread-file-892.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
And this fella must blindly believe whatever the Republican party tells him
Actually, I'm Libertarian, Ron Paul 2012

but you're a total tool constantly referring to yourself in the 3rd person. you probably don't even own an r/c and are beating behind the bush on mommys pc.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by 1Fastpede
i don't understand you guys running 16T pinions. I dropped pinions slowly and got more consistent and lost motor heat. I prefer an 11T and it works on a small tight track and an 1/8th scale outdoor track i run on. Eating up infields for breakfast.
my truck was horrible and slow as crap with a 14, the higher i went up the quicker my laps become and i have no heat issues at all 150 on the motor 120 on the ESC. i keep preaching how BL motors dont like to be "wound" up, converted three SC's to run higher pinions last week at the HARC event and all of them are now believers! you get more punch with the higher pinions. BL motors have instant TQ. Same with my E buggy, i run a 2200 and with 15t it ran hot i am now at 17 and it runs 135 along with the ESC and is blazingly quick, there some doubles that i couldnt clear until i went up to the 17. to each his own i guess!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Had the opportunity to finally run my truck today, my truck was pinned, new slipper discs from RCShox, all I'm going to say is wow, this thing is a beast, running an rx8 with a pro4 4600kv on a 13t pinion, tonssssss of torque right off the bat and had great speed, I think with a 14t or a 15t this thing will be totally set. Dropping in the v2 pistons for the shocks tomorrow, this truck just gets better and better but the pinned shaft is crazy, this thing just plants and hauls! Tomorrow is practice and hopefully Saturday will be race day, first race in 10 years of absence from the r/c world, wo0t
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

A better driver can make up for a lot, but to say the chassis setup doesn't matter much is just a lie you tell yourself to feel better. And last time I checked, stacks of aftermarket parts don't equate lower lap times.

The local fast guy (who is usually 1/2 second faster per lap with his Losi than me with my pre-pinned SC10) ran some laps immediately after our last main in my rig, a second a lap slower than my off the pace. IMO I had adapted to driving my downright evil handling chassis better than he had, but I still wasn't as fast as his was with his better sorted truck.
Do you ever read the posts you quote? Or, more appropriately, understand them? Re-read the parts of your post I've quoted. Where did I state, posit, insinuate, or in any way infer: 1) chassis setup doesn't matter; 2) aftermarket parts equate to lower lap times, or; 3) I needed to tell lies about RC cars to make myself feel better? I'm sure as hell not talking about me lapping a strong field with a stock Slash. I believe I've stated several times, I need every mechanical advantage I can get. I've only seen one person claim the other guy was faster because his truck was "better sorted", and he's actually the faster of the two when they both drive the same truck. Perhaps you had him in mind when you quoted me?

The question that was asked, and that I answered, was that better drivers are better drivers because of talent, not equipment. The example I gave was that of a world class driver wheeling mechanically inferior equipment against a strong field, and still taking the win (and TQ for that matter) by a lap. Talent will out. You want to test the theory and can make it worth my while, let me know. I think we can set it up. You drive your modded truck. I'll put mine in stock trim except for slipper pads and tires. Although he did run stock tires in that race LOL. You race the "local fast guy" of my choosing. Afterwards we can talk about whether setup or driving skills matter more.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SourDieselX
Had the opportunity to finally run my truck today, my truck was pinned, new slipper discs from RCShox, all I'm going to say is wow, this thing is a beast, running an rx8 with a pro4 4600kv on a 13t pinion, tonssssss of torque right off the bat and had great speed, I think with a 14t or a 15t this thing will be totally set. Dropping in the v2 pistons for the shocks tomorrow, this truck just gets better and better but the pinned shaft is crazy, this thing just plants and hauls! Tomorrow is practice and hopefully Saturday will be race day, first race in 10 years of absence from the r/c world, wo0t
whats up sour? glad you like rctech. Are you gonna be practicing at M&M tomorrow and race on sat? if so, I will be there and look forward to meeting like minded individuals
doh, thought i sent pm... to much tequila....

Thanks again Mantis for hooking me up and setting me straight with my ride, you the man!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by symmetricon
whats up sour? glad you like rctech. Are you gonna be practicing at M&M tomorrow and race on sat? if so, I will be there and look forward to meeting like minded individuals
doh, thought i sent pm... to much tequila....

Thanks again Mantis for hooking me up and setting me straight with my ride, you the man!
I will indeed be out there tomorrow and making my debut race on Saturday, hopefully I haven't lost the touch, lol. I was down at Katy Rc a little while ago thinking I still had some juice in the battery to turn a couple laps, well I did just that, two laps and I dumped, lol. Fun two laps but the battery was already on the down slope so power wasn't all there but Mantis had a chance to mess with it earlier and then we were drag racing down the street, haha. I'll be there though, should be lurking around Mantis's pit area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.