Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
No hate'n here.

Your rear ride height is too low. You won't get enough weight transfer for braking and steering into corners when the rear is that much lower that the front. Even on carpet I ran 22mm front and rear. Try 24 to 26 on dirt.
Will do! Thank you for taking a look.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Guys, just wanted to say thanks for all this info, been reading this thread for a few months, even before my truck got here, pretty much done all the mods, just did the pin, like you guys say, it's a new truck, can't wait to get a weekend off so I can race it again! Big ups guys.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The pin mod might be the hot set-up for groomed tracks but if you are running a rough or low traction track the standard set-up might still be best. Easy enough to test because the pin can be removed easy.

Worth doing to your truck even if your not using it.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The pin mod might be the hot set-up for groomed tracks but if you are running a rough or low traction track the standard set-up might still be best. Easy enough to test because the pin can be removed easy.
I disagree with the first part, high bite hides the problems.

I disagree with the second part, low bite is where this mod works best.

I agree with the third part, users should test their own stuff and not rely on me or any other random person on the internet. Worth every penny you paid for it!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Worth doing to your truck even if your not using it.
Great insight Cameron, I was just thinking the same thing. If anyone ever gets a chance to make it to west coast or OCRC raceways, definitely get the shaft pinned as they are high bite clay tracks.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
users should test their own stuff and not rely on me or any other random person on the internet. Worth every penny you paid for it!
We evolved "communication" to find things out faster as a network. It's human nature to ask for another's opinion based off their experiences. I am/was only asking "after" this mod, if you guys had to switch up anything immediately to get the truck to cut a little better like 'before'. I was 'not' asking for someone to tell me how to tune my truck so it's "gud 4 rac'n man".

Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Taken from a set-up guide in reference to the center diff on a 1/8 scale type drive train. (like Losi and Durango) Just think of it as Thinner being standard and Pinned being Thicker.

Thinner
• Front wheels unload more during acceleration
• Decreases on-power steering (reduces oversteer)
• Easier to drive on rough tracks
• More off-power steering

Thicker
• More all-wheel drive effect
• Better acceleration
• Increases on-power steering (reduces understeer)
• Better suited on high-bite, smooth tracks
• Car can be more nervous to drive especially if a high
power engine is used - you might need to be smooth on
the throttle
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 PM

Taken from a set-up guide in reference to the center diff on a 1/8 scale type drive train. (like Losi and Durango) Just think of it as Thinner being standard and Pinned being Thicker.

Thinner
• Front wheels unload more during acceleration
• Decreases on-power steering (reduces oversteer)
• Easier to drive on rough tracks
• More off-power steering

Thicker
• Better acceleration
the throttle
I have to admit. The truck handled the rough track better unpinned. ~Y'know, playing ghost laps in my head.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CoyoteSlash
We evolved "communication" to find things out faster as a network. It's human nature to ask for another's opinion based off their experiences. I am/was only asking "after" this mod, if you guys had to switch up anything immediately to get the truck to cut a little better like 'before'. I was 'not' asking for someone to tell me how to tune my truck so it's "gud 4 rac'n man".

How does what I wrote or Cameron wrote not accomplish that "communication"? Is it okay for me to politely disagree with another user that I respect, and advocate my opinion?

Yesterday, another user implied I thought he was an idiot because I recognized right off he hadn't seen a slipper basket up close. In fact, the opposite was true - I knew he was a smart guy, and I knew he didn't understand it precisely because I recognized he hadn't seen it.

If you are asking me what I would do if I thought the truck needed to cut harder - I'm inclined to suggest unlocking the front clicker. It would be easy to undo if you hate it. I cannot tell you if it works or not because I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 10-15-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CoyoteSlash
I have to admit. The truck handled the rough track better unpinned. ~Y'know, playing ghost laps in my head.
There is always other factors that can make what it should do and really does not be true. Dusty conditions like in the video will give lots of tire slip. Your going to get on power steering and like the 4w lock up to drift and pull the truck around and out of the corner. The belt is also going to have some give as you go from on and off power and running through rough sections.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Thicker
• Better acceleration
the throttle
The problem is the collective forum experience doesn't jive with the Durango's predictions, IMO because this device doesn't work anything like a differential in the Durango.

The last one (you can totally beat on the throttle with the belt pinned) disagrees with the first one and second one (AWD and better acceleration), but it doesn't increase on power steering IMO (you could pivot the truck with the throttle decoupled, users like Mantis are complaining about the truck not rotating center off compared to before), I'm ambivalent on the fourth one.

I would be inclined to think decoupling the slipper would work well on a high bite and smooth track. My experience in a low bite and bumpy track was that the weight stayed transferred to the rear tires, and they stayed loaded - right up to the point where you hit a bump and it would get sideways on you.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM

What I know is:

Unpinned:
Entering the Corner: Good
Exiting the Corner: Bad

Pinned:
Entering the Corner: Bad
Exiting the Corner: Good

Very Generic and very unspecific, Point is as far as driving, I can't mess up a corner entrance (too badly) but I sure can mess up the exit.

I have to say I noticed more powering through bumps, falling off ledges, I just powered through. The gain of power from this truck may be clouding the actual judgement of how it's really handling the bumpy rough track having that 550 in it. It I was to calm down and drive the line I drove before, I would bet that Craig would be correct in it not doing as well as unpinned, letting things slip, grip go where it's needed, etc. Compared to locked up and go is go.

No?

Edit: This is "myself" attempting to drive the same way I was before this truck was Pinned. It's going to take me a couple more packs to get a "good/good" which I'm sure I can get. these were just immediate changes in the performance of the Truck from My Experience with the modification.

Last edited by CoyoteSlash; 10-15-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Tech Champion

Well everything can be made to work. The top drivers at Nationals the Losi guys use 5/7/3 and the Durango guys run 30/50/10 on the same track with the same tires. It is what works with the rest of the truck.

With the pin in maybe lighter front would be the best at a track or heaver rear might work too. We just need to figure out what works best with this truck.

On a side note STRC needs to change their steering racks to give us another hole back on the rack. Beat AE to the public and your going to sell some steering racks.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

It's just different now - and its all little stuff I would do to get the car to rotate or pivot or even jump before the pin doesn't work.

The track I ran on today is really an 1/8 scale track. They have an enormous set of triples in the back stretch that unpinned I bet I crashed over 1/3 of the time. The truck really rewards smoothly rolling up on the power by having a better in air attitude where before you had to NAIL IT right out of the corner to jump the darn thing and it would carry the front bumper at a 45 degree angle. I blamed the body, now I can jump anything with minimal drama.

Seems to me the truck can be driven more aggressively with the pin, but it still rewards a driver with a smoother style.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
It's just different now - and its all little stuff I would do to get the car to rotate or pivot or even jump before the pin doesn't work.

Seems to me the truck can be driven more aggressively with the pin, but it still rewards a driver with a smoother style.
Agreed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.