Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'd be curious to know how well the slipper plate holds up to fiberglass pads.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Botwoon
What's different about them?
The material, and they have grooves machined out of them increasing the amount of pressue applied to the surface of the pads. The difference is staggering.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

I am pretty sure they are not fibreglass.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Fiberglass would have been my first guess as well. How exactly do the grooves increase pressure applied, and do they glaze at all?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Fiberglass would have been my first guess as well. How exactly do the grooves increase pressure applied, and do they glaze at all?
Much like a vented disk brake, if that make sence to you, and they did not glaze, nor was there any difference in the slippage, once the pad broke in.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Now that's interesing!

Which material does it use? O.O
Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Are you using it with the basket or with the stock slipper plates? On both sides or just 1 side?

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Ok, I tried something new today, a slipper pad made differently. It worked amazingly well. Check it out. If your interested , pm MantisWorx. I think these could be the future of slipper pads!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackLabelVinyl
Could someone please share a high bite no sway bar set up? Thanks. I have all of the away bars and springs, truck is pretty loose in the rear.
No one give this guy a setup. i have to race against him next week!!! ant wait for the race next weekend chad.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Material is garolite which is a composite/fiberglass mix. The benefit of the grooves is two fold: one is that they vent heat and prevent build up on the disc and two they increase pressure. The theory behind this is solid and i have used this (amongst millions of others) on my race cars. Lets say you have 1000ft/lbs of pressure spread onto one surface, well you get 1000 ft/lbs of pressure per point. If you dived that point into smaller points each point actually gets more bite. In laymens terms and how i have used it is on my subaru STI (580whp) is that i can buy a clutch that has a solid disc and 2000 lb pressure plate but of course driving it around town is horrible. So instead i use a stock pressure plate(1200lb) and a 6 puck disc. No slippage and it still feels light. With the solid disc stock PP i coudnt make more than two dyno pulls and it would slip, change to the 6 puck and i have had it on my car for two years now with no silppage and i run the car at 500 HP everyday.

I am running the discs with the clutch basket and the nut is only on about halfway and it still pulls the wheels, im probably going to make some disc with circular grooves to allow more slippage for the folks that already have the basket (its almost too cool not to use!) we will post some post test results and disc pics tonight after we get finished racing to see how much abuse they can take!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bseckel
No one give this guy a setup. i have to race against him next week!!! ant wait for the race next weekend chad.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

any one running a 550 can 6.5 have a gearing set up
Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Whenever you start selling them, I might be interested.

Hopefully AE puts the updated slipper out as well, preferably with vented disks straight away.

Last edited by Botwoon; 09-03-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Material is garolite which is a composite/fiberglass mix. The benefit of the grooves is two fold: one is that they vent heat and prevent build up on the disc and two they increase pressure. The theory behind this is solid and i have used this (amongst millions of others) on my race cars. Lets say you have 1000ft/lbs of pressure spread onto one surface, well you get 1000 ft/lbs of pressure per point. If you dived that point into smaller points each point actually gets more bite. In laymens terms and how i have used it is on my subaru STI (580whp) is that i can buy a clutch that has a solid disc and 2000 lb pressure plate but of course driving it around town is horrible. So instead i use a stock pressure plate(1200lb) and a 6 puck disc. No slippage and it still feels light. With the solid disc stock PP i coudnt make more than two dyno pulls and it would slip, change to the 6 puck and i have had it on my car for two years now with no silppage and i run the car at 500 HP everyday.

I am running the discs with the clutch basket and the nut is only on about halfway and it still pulls the wheels, im probably going to make some disc with circular grooves to allow more slippage for the folks that already have the basket (its almost too cool not to use!) we will post some post test results and disc pics tonight after we get finished racing to see how much abuse they can take!
Were you having issues using the clutch basket with stock pads? Since installing the basket I have yet to have an issue. I fully understand your reasoning (same reason I use a twin disk clutch in my Mitsubishi, stock pedal pressure, m0ar friction), but I just don't find vented pads or different materials necessary when using the multiplate clutch, aka basket.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

The advantage to running different pads is you won't have to mod your cover and they are probably going to be cheaper.

As to the 6 puck disc that is a whole different thing. It was probably ceramic with will have WAY more bite than the stock organic disc.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by slappomatt
The advantage to running different pads is you won't have to mod your cover and they are probably going to be cheaper.
That was my point. He's still running the clutch basket, so using a different material to keep from modifying the cover is a moot point.

Regarding modding the cover, mine barely had to be stretched. You can't even tell that I modded it when looking at the thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.