Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GuiltyByAssoc
So does the Durango have the same issues (or wrose) since its even lighter?

I think from tunning standpoint you want to start with a lighter car and like you said find that perfect balance gradually (thus the comments of sc10 being more tunnable). Losi is easier to drive out of the box, why? cause that point has been reached or very close to (i.e. adding more weight will only make it sluggish) . Bottomline, its easier to add weight than having to remove it..
The Durango factor threw me for a loop as well. But this is the thing, let me re-state my hypothesis after thinking about it for a bit: The AE SC10 4X4 is not too light, but rather it has too high of a relative CG.

As stated by many of the people on here, the weight of the truck is not as close to the ground as it is on the other trucks. This creates excessive body roll with the heavy body and light suspension. The truck's suspension must be run light to generate traction, but with a high relative CG, this makes the truck excessively difficult to control because as the truck leans, the limit of traction is achieved, which causes the suspension to unload under acceleration.

By adding a significant amount of weight low on the chassis, this causes a shift in the relative CG of the truck and it helps it generate the necessary traction and stability. A heavier suspension set-up is needed to get the right chassis balance though.

Making it wider is an interesting approach, but there is only so far you can go. The effect on the relative CG is minimal when compared to the added 3 or 4oz will do. I have made a couple of more revisions to my chassis that I will get to test tomorrow to see if I made any more progress on the chassis development. I will also play with weight in reverse, to see if the set-up can be worked on with a lighter truck.

Lastly, I'll put my plug in here:

The clutch basket is the T*TS! Just BUY ONE and STOP WASTING YOUR TIME trying to run the HD Stuff and vented stuff. Once you have used the basket, it really makes you realize that the FT Stuff and the stock items do not work properly.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Quick question guys.. i see now that alot of companys are making bodies that will fit alot of the trucks but u have to mount them your self.. like tc cars.. anyhow.. how close are the body holes say if you have a SC10 and a sc4x4.. like could u get away with 1 body or do u need seprate?

also whats the conclusion about the saddle packs vrs the reg packs?

and whats better the 550 motors with say the lrp sxxtc or the 540 motor.. and what turns?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone see the jconcepts body

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIHH...e_gdata_player

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sent from my iPhone 4
Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Hmmmm i bet if ae copyied the RC8B/RC8T and just shrunk it down then they would be way ahead of the 4x4 sc game also with a race proven design it makes it that much more easy for losi to fine tune for the big race ect.. As with ae they have a ground up innovative design that still has itsflaws and has to be tweeked .. give it time.. Wonder what the result would be with if losi did the them same?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blue Screw
Quick question guys.. i see now that alot of companys are making bodies that will fit alot of the trucks but u have to mount them your self.. like tc cars.. anyhow.. how close are the body holes say if you have a SC10 and a sc4x4.. like could u get away with 1 body or do u need seprate?

also whats the conclusion about the saddle packs vrs the reg packs?

and whats better the 550 motors with say the lrp sxxtc or the 540 motor.. and what turns?
sc10 4x2 and 4x4 are almost identical if not identical body hole position....my sc10rs monster body lined right up with sc10 4x4..
Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Blue Screw

x-posting
Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Decided to post my sc10 4x4 for trade/sale. Drove the Losi this week and was really impressed. The sc10 4x4 drives very similar to my 2wd sc10 and I want to try something different.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've got a losi ten scte and want to swap to a sc10 4x4 as all my other cars are ae my question is to the people who have these should i wait till they bring out a factory team or buy one now?
cheers bigears
Old 08-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
But this is the thing, let me re-state my hypothesis after thinking about it for a bit: The AE SC10 4X4 is not too light, but rather it has too high of a relative CG.
This.

Adding weight lowers the CG (which is good) but it also increases inertias, which is not good.

The clutch basket sure works, but if you break in properly the pads and use a 540 motor (even the Castle 1410) it should be all fine. On a 550 is a no go, get the basket and issue sorted

@bigears: Unless the FT comes with a mega-revamped slipper and with lower placed gearboxes, don't bother. Just get the regular.

Maybe if it comes with stock saddle pack battery mounts it would be a good option aswell.

AE should really come up with a way to lower the CG. Can't think of a way really, since lowering the gearboxes is the only possible way, without digging stuff under the chassis.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

this whole saddle pack thing to get the SC10 4x4 more balanced is only on the center chassis piece right?

so AE only have to design a new center piece for the chassis where you can put in your saddles

something that could be realized in a few weeks time by AE
Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by murky123
this whole saddle pack thing to get the SC10 4x4 more balanced is only on the center chassis piece right?

so AE only have to design a new center piece for the chassis where you can put in your saddles

They already have the proper pieces for the job. They'd just have to open a few B44.1 boxes and remove the battery mounts. It's what the guys modding the center chassis have been using.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

What they really need to do is create a new rear chassis section to fix the high roll center problem and make this truck handle like it should/ could.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anybody have the actual numbers as far as CG of the Losi vs. the SC104x? Also, has anybody limited the droop of the shocks to help eliminate some body roll?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
What they really need to do is create a new rear chassis section to fix the high roll center problem and make this truck handle like it should/ could.
+ over 9,000
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

The stock center chassis already has all the mounts needed for saddle packs. Did nobody catch this when the truck first came out? Look where your battery strap clips onto the front of the truck. Now look at the other side. Looks identical doesnt it? Its for another battery tab.

Now look to where the rear plate connects to the center plate, in the center of the chassis. See the gap between the upper rear chassis brace and lower chassis plate? Clearly for a battery strap.

Some of the Factory guys here in SoCal have been running the saddle pack since beginning/mid June, or at least testing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.