Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Yes, just like when AE went from the white to yellow slipper pad a while back.
+1
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CM36 or 1406 motor?

If it's the CM36 it won't survive.
its a 4600kv 1406. I did a search and could find recommended gearing. Yes, i looked at the 1st page and yes, i used the search. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrodhomi
its a 4600kv 1406. I did a search and could find recommended gearing. Yes, i looked at the 1st page and yes, i used the search. Any help would be appreciated.
Try 13/62 to start, keep a close eye on temps. ThunderbirdJunkie is eager to hear how this motor works in your truck.

Rick, any plans for stiffer front springs?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
Cool Thanks. Does this make the truck feel more planted?
Yes, waaaaay more planted. It will land better, and have better on power traction coming out of corners. You will lose a little rip due to the extra weight, but lap times came way down with it. I'd recommend a clutch basket with the extra weight. I ran mine with the stock slipper set-up and for whatever reason I started getting paranoid of it slipping. After racing I checked it, and while it was not slipping badly, it was glazing the pads slightly, which it was not before.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For the guys that are running a single x-ring in your shocks are you putting it on top or bottom of the cartridge? thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
For the guys that are running a single x-ring in your shocks are you putting it on top or bottom of the cartridge? thanks

I'm just running one Track Star o-ring and have it at the bottom.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Try 13/62 to start, keep a close eye on temps. ThunderbirdJunkie is eager to hear how this motor works in your truck.
What about 48p gearings? I think it would run better.

I'd try a 15-93 or a 16-93 in 48p. Probably lower, but should do well.

All that is, basing in the fact that my 1410 runs absolutely cool at 18/93. maybe I'll rise it to 20/93.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID
Where can ITS ME DAVID get a tube like that?
Artikbot got one at a sports shop, it's called kite carbon tube
Old 08-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
Put it in the bottom... Dont laugh!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Seems I gotta try the x-ring stuff...

The next time I disassemble my shocks for cleaning procedures I'll try and see how moch smoother it really is
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artikbot
What you can't do is simply ram against the cars that are passing you for the lulz, and because your truck is heavier.
This, except 'for the lulz' assumes the other driver did it on purpose.

Last weekend in SC 2 I was leading the last qualifier (on IFMAR) after starting last on the grid, several seconds faster than TQ (also me) until I caught the guy who was running second on the clock (he started 10-15 seconds in front of me). Every time I'd wait for him to make a mistake and pass him, he'd over drive a section and run me over, or cut a corner and hit me, or otherwise dump me because, well, how do I say this nice - he's kind of all over the place? The guy just had surgery on his back on Thursday and I'm sure he's loaded up on all sorts of pain meds, so I'm cutting him a ton of slack.

Anyway, after this goes on for five or so laps and the announcer says I'm no longer beating my TQ, but behind by 4 seconds, I decided I needed to pass him using my secret weapon (aka the chrome horn, the wheel, the front bumper of my truck) because I was slowing us both down by not putting this dog out of it's misery, so to speak. Wound up finishing 0.3 seconds off TQ.

As soon as it happened, the other driver took exception and got vocal on the drivers stand, said I showed poor track ettiquete by not pulling over (it's IFMAR FFS! I started 14 seconds behind you. I passed you on the clock long ago!), and refused to let up about it even off the track. I asked him if he hit me on purpose the three or four times I passed him clean, and he said he hadn't, it was totally incidental (oddly enough, he never pulled over for me the way he was demanding I pull over for him ). The look of horror/confusion was pretty priceless after I explaned to him that (1) Unlike him, I had hit him on purpose and with malice and only once in response to the three or four hits he gave on accident, (2) he was running this series for points and the two fast guys aren't here today so he stood a great chance in gaining a whole bunch on them but IF ONLY IF (3) he knocked this cheap ish off, else I would spend the whole main turning his car into a bag of broken parts and not feel the least bit bad about it because I'm running here to relax (not in the series) and at the end of the mains I get to pack up and go home. He hit me in two out of the first three corners of the main, but that's not the point.

The late Brent Wallace (Reedy Race champion, NORCCA champion, AE factory driver) told me when I first started driving that the fast way through a corner isn't necessarily the fast line. I was 20 years old, he was like 15, and it was totally cryptic at the time. I just didn't get it, but I didn't forget it either. Over the years I've thought about it from time to time, and I think what he meant was just because somebody scrubs out in a slow corner and you get by driving the preferred line without contact, it doesn't prevent him from over-driving the next corner and blowing the apex thus punting you into the middle of next Thursday. Same if the fastest line in your truck conflicts with the fastest line with the other guys truck, or (like I used to see in sedans a lot) if somebody is running a one way and everyone else is running a spool. The lap times might be comparable, but where they are fast makes contact almost unavoidable.

The point is part of racecraft is racing guys the way they race you. If somebody runs you hard and with respect, you should treat them that way. If they don't, well, short course is a full body class with nerfs and bumpers for a reason. This is certainly an underrated tool you have at your disposal, and if your other fellow racers are using it on you and you aren't returning the favor, you are allowing yourself to be taken advantage of.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by murky123
I cant find the post where it is discribed how to..
first page

Page 21
Make sure to apply some thread lock to the shock piston screw. Doing so will help prevent the piston from falling off.
Remove the upper X-Ring, #91055, this will free up the shocks and takes a lot of the stiction away and the shocks will feel much smoother. Don’t forget that the shock cartridge seal tube is directional!
If you are running without shock boots, #91070, on the shocks, you must add up travel limiters to avoid damaging the bladder.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try 13/62 to start, keep a close eye on temps.
Originally Posted by Artikbot
I'd try a 15-93 or a 16-93 in 48p. Probably lower, but should do well.
maybe I'll rise it to 20/93.
13/62 is the same thing as 19.5/93...19 or 20T would be OK, based on that....

That being said, I think 48p will have a hard time holding up to that much power... but at least spurs are cheap if you do strip one or two...
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

just built my truck. very nice build and great quality. Oh, and LOTS of screws. good think my ryobi was charged when i started. Even with all the pre-built sections of the truck, it still took a while to build due to the number of screws holding it together. I now know why the aluminum screw set for the truck is on back order at a-main.

I managed to shoehorn a tekin 2650 1/8 motor in it and now just need to adjust the gearing to make it fast enough on 2s. i figure a 20/58 should be about right.

Only think i can knock this truck for so far is that taking the servo out is a royal pain; stripped the horn after 5 minutes of running and realized i had to take like 10 screw out just to wiggle the servo out. I might need to mod the bottom of the chassis and mounting points so i can get it out without needing to disassemble 1/4 of the truck. Should have sprung for a nice new high end servo before assembling the truck cause now i will probably need to take it out again soon.

anyway, i like it so far and it's very quite for a 4wd stadium truck; the older vesions sound like armageddon when 7 of them are racing on an indoor track together.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
This, except 'for the lulz' assumes the other driver did it on purpose.

Last weekend in SC 2 I was leading the last qualifier (on IFMAR) after starting last on the grid, several seconds faster than TQ (also me) until I caught the guy who was running second on the clock (he started 10-15 seconds in front of me). Every time I'd wait for him to make a mistake and pass him, he'd over drive a section and run me over, or cut a corner and hit me, or otherwise dump me because, well, how do I say this nice - he's kind of all over the place? The guy just had surgery on his back on Thursday and I'm sure he's loaded up on all sorts of pain meds, so I'm cutting him a ton of slack.

Anyway, after this goes on for five or so laps and the announcer says I'm no longer beating my TQ, but behind by 4 seconds, I decided I needed to pass him using my secret weapon (aka the chrome horn, the wheel, the front bumper of my truck) because I was slowing us both down by not putting this dog out of it's misery, so to speak. Wound up finishing 0.3 seconds off TQ.

As soon as it happened, the other driver took exception and got vocal on the drivers stand, said I showed poor track ettiquete by not pulling over (it's IFMAR FFS! I started 14 seconds behind you. I passed you on the clock long ago!), and refused to let up about it even off the track. I asked him if he hit me on purpose the three or four times I passed him clean, and he said he hadn't, it was totally incidental (oddly enough, he never pulled over for me the way he was demanding I pull over for him ). The look of horror/confusion was pretty priceless after I explaned to him that (1) Unlike him, I had hit him on purpose and with malice and only once in response to the three or four hits he gave on accident, (2) he was running this series for points and the two fast guys aren't here today so he stood a great chance in gaining a whole bunch on them but IF ONLY IF (3) he knocked this cheap ish off, else I would spend the whole main turning his car into a bag of broken parts and not feel the least bit bad about it because I'm running here to relax (not in the series) and at the end of the mains I get to pack up and go home. He hit me in two out of the first three corners of the main, but that's not the point.

The late Brent Wallace (Reedy Race champion, NORCCA champion, AE factory driver) told me when I first started driving that the fast way through a corner isn't necessarily the fast line. I was 20 years old, he was like 15, and it was totally cryptic at the time. I just didn't get it, but I didn't forget it either. Over the years I've thought about it from time to time, and I think what he meant was just because somebody scrubs out in a slow corner and you get by driving the preferred line without contact, it doesn't prevent him from over-driving the next corner and blowing the apex thus punting you into the middle of next Thursday. Same if the fastest line in your truck conflicts with the fastest line with the other guys truck, or (like I used to see in sedans a lot) if somebody is running a one way and everyone else is running a spool. The lap times might be comparable, but where they are fast makes contact almost unavoidable.

The point is part of racecraft is racing guys the way they race you. If somebody runs you hard and with respect, you should treat them that way. If they don't, well, short course is a full body class with nerfs and bumpers for a reason. This is certainly an underrated tool you have at your disposal, and if your other fellow racers are using it on you and you aren't returning the favor, you are allowing yourself to be taken advantage of.
So, what I get from this is you're fast, you name drop a lot, and you have a MBA? Oh yea, everyone should get out of your way? Correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.