Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by northkona
dont give up on castle esc's just yet , unless I got the the last "good" one . I bought the sct combo with the 3800 motor and figured I'd run the esc until it fries or I find another 1/8 one to replace it . At this stage it has had about 20 packs through it with no worries , I am running the motor fan on the speedy tho. I have been using it at the track and bashing it , running a mix of 40c and 50c 5000 mah batteries geared 15/62. temps around 70c , Loving this truck !!!!!
+1. I have also put about 20 packs through mine with no problems at all. Run on large 1/8 scale track with the fan on the ESC, geared 15/62 and 16/62. 40-45C 5000 mAh batteries.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bumpy
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
30-14 what a massacre!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just picked up a factory team rear upper shaft....my stock one was wobbling so Im curious to see how the FT model holds up.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by barry1me
I just picked up a factory team rear upper shaft....my stock one was wobbling so Im curious to see how the FT model holds up.
Isn't the gear on the top shaft the only difference? After 20 yrs. I'm not a fan of any aluminum gears. I would think the shaft itself would be the same. Crank the slipper nut too tight and you will bend the top shaft...

Side note~ if you've had slipper issues and have installed the clutch basket I would replace the slipper spring as well. Not 100% sure if high temps caused it (180+ on the slipper hubs) but my spring was sagged out about a 1/4+ inch from a new one....
Old 08-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macke
+1. I have also put about 20 packs through mine with no problems at all. Run on large 1/8 scale track with the fan on the ESC, geared 15/62 and 16/62. 40-45C 5000 mAh batteries.
mines been really good as well i only use 2s and ive ut about 50 packs thru it and its running strong ..i too have the fan on the esc
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by northkona
dont give up on castle esc's just yet , unless I got the the last "good" one . I bought the sct combo with the 3800 motor and figured I'd run the esc until it fries or I find another 1/8 one to replace it . At this stage it has had about 20 packs through it with no worries , I am running the motor fan on the speedy tho. I have been using it at the track and bashing it , running a mix of 40c and 50c 5000 mah batteries geared 15/62. temps around 70c , Loving this truck !!!!!
I see alot of people are running indoor on small tracks. Seems you guys are pushing alot more heat than I do. I see guys at our track running the sidewinders on the huge 1/8 scale track and barely going over 100 degrees. I run the mmp with the 1415. And a few times I put in the 1410 and have had no troubles. Gearing at 17/62 and running smooth.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Isn't the gear on the top shaft the only difference? After 20 yrs. I'm not a fan of any aluminum gears. I would think the shaft itself would be the same. Crank the slipper nut too tight and you will bend the top shaft...
Im pretty sure the lightweight top shafts are the same material just with the center of the shaft drilled out. Only way to save your top shaft from bending when cranking on the slipper is to not crank of the slipper nut or just get the clutch basket and never worry about it again.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quick question: I just got my SC10 4x4 put together and drove it around a bit. The rear diff housing gets so hot that you can't touch it. Possible causes? I haven't torn it down yet, but everything seems "smooth".....
Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That's not good at all. I would disassemble and see if something is binding/rubbing etc.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the whole diff housing? or the pinion/spur gear cover?

Your motor AND your slipper will generate a lot of heat...if your motor is getting too hot, or your slipper is slipping too much, that could be the cause too.

Check the binding first (take the pinion off and give the truck a push)

If there isn't any real binding, your slipper is probably slipping too much AND you might be overgeared...

what gearing are you running, and did you put 1-2 extra 1/4" washers between your spring and the slipper plate?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I haven't done any of these "fixes" you guys are talking about and I don't have any heat issues. I would tear it down first and make sure there's no binding.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

I think those having slipper issues will have hvae better success by adding the washers or extra washer behind the slipper thrust spacer rather than between the spring and slipper plate...In essence your adding one or two more slipper thrust washers instead of the one supplied and recommended for use on the kit (as described per manual instructions)..This has been the only remedy I have needed for my slipper in the truck...No slipper clutch basket needed??

Also if you have so much heat being produced in the rear area I would check and make sure you installed the slipper thrust spacer in correctly (Its behind the spur and rear pulley)..To get to it you have to dissesemble the rear and slide the motor out..Check to make sure its in right side up as the manual shows..This has caused many (that I have read and seen) to overheat the rear housing while also melting there slipper pads, spur gear, and there slipper spring...This can cause alot of damage in the slipper assembly while subsequently destroying the slipper thrust bearing.. Hope this adds some insight to those running into slipper issues..

Last edited by MarqueeRc; 08-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
the whole diff housing? or the pinion/spur gear cover?
Good question. I only touched the cover....

Your motor AND your slipper will generate a lot of heat...if your motor is getting too hot, or your slipper is slipping too much, that could be the cause too.
Motor (Tekin SC4X 4.5T) is staying around 155. Slipper was/is tightened nearly all the way in.

Check the binding first (take the pinion off and give the truck a push)
I'll do that. I was just out "poking" at it again and noticed that if I pick up the truck and spin the rear wheels everything is fine. Same for the front. When I set the truck down and roll it, it is very loud.....??

what gearing are you running, and did you put 1-2 extra 1/4" washers between your spring and the slipper plate?
Looks like gearing is 13/62 - 32p. Put the slipper together as per the instructions. Is there a "trick" that I need to know about here?

Thank you for your post!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not to clog up the thread but...the noise I was hearing was nothing more than the large 32p gears of the pinion against the spur (I'm an on-road guy and used to 64p!). Just didn't notice this before I guess. The motor had moved a touch too, creating a little "slop". 2 minute fix on that one.

Diffs are silky smooth and nothing seems to be binding. Still worried about the heat, but now thinking things may be slipping. Is there a way to "bench test" this?

Thank you for your help!

Opps! Didn't see the new posts....need to read 'em.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MarqueeRc
Also if you have so much heat being produced in the rear area I would check and make sure you installed the slipper thrust spacer in correctly (Its behind the spur and rear pulley)..To get to it you have to dissesemble the rear and slide the motor out..Check to make sure its in right side up as the manual shows..This has caused many (that I have read and seen) to overheat the rear housing while also melting there slipper pads, spur gear, and there slipper spring...This can cause alot of damage in the slipper assembly while subsequently destroying the slipper thrust bearing.. Hope this adds some insight to those running into slipper issues..
I figure I'd better check this, but I'm not 100% following you.

Which number are we talking about in this pic? Again, thank you for the help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.