Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Kinda finished my build minus servo, I love that a majority of the hex heads are 2.5mm (I'm used to traxxas and the 2.0 every where). I had all hardware none left over so far can wait for a power plant..

Both my receiver and transponder fit perfect in my RX box..
Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default First Thoughts on Track Performance

Got my kit yesterday, built it last night, and had it out for practice at CRCRC in Columbus, Ohio tonight.

Ran the truck with 10K front and 5K rear, full time 4wd, kit shock build (did not have time to rebuild them), Proline Suburb 2.0 MC tires. Setup was similar but not identical to the Jason R setup on AE site. I have a Novak GTB2 with a LRP 5.5 550. Started with the 13t pinion.

I've really only run Kyosho stuff the last many years, so I'm definately not an AE "fanboy". I run 2wd SCT in addition to the traditional classes and was not going to try the 4x4 class until this truck came out. I've done the Ebuggy thing so the 4x4's built off those platforms did not draw me in like the AE design.

Right off the bat I thought the truck was overall good, but only good. Maybe a B- on turning, probably a C on punch and speed, jumped great. I spent most of the practice session messing with the slipper and changing gearing trying to figure out why I had no punch. It helped a little to tighten the slipper a bit. I added the outer high torque slipper. I went up to a 14t, then to a 15t. Each helped only a little. Incidentally, after a fair number of laps with each I was a 120F with the 13t, 140F with the 14t, and 160F with the 15t on the motor. The speedo never went above 100F. This was with about 80F air temperature on a medium sized indoor track. Long story short on the punch, right before I left I tried recalibrating the speedo using 120% throttle EPA instead of the 100% the GTB2 manual says (I remembered the old GTB used to tell you to put it at max). Punch and speed instantly came back (changed to a A grade for me), more than I'd ever need for this track. With the 15t and the proper settings I was at 165F.

Anyway, most of my testing was before I adjusted the speedo. Though the truck was turning consistent laps that are quite fast for SCT with this layout. I thought with full time 4wd, it pushed a little for me. I had only a little trouble with traction rolling when I was not used to how the car handled, and it did seem that when I brushed the pipe on a corner that it rolled a littler easier than my 2wd. I turned on the clicker just for fun by backing it off about 1 mm or so (measured 1.9mm thread showing). WOW. I was loving this. The truck instantly felt like my Kyosho SC-R only better out of the corners. The turning was quicker, it felt more agile, and I thought the rear end slid around with a lot of control. On the full time 4wd I thought it was difficult to slide the rear end around and when it did, it sometimes overrotated, with the clicker it was perfectly controlled and fast. I would recommend giving this a try for anyone that is acustom to 2wd SCT or will be driving them back to back on the same day. After making this change, I would rate the turning an A, at least for my driving style. Average lap time was about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds faster for me with the clicker than without. What a great feature. Plus, the clicker noise just makes me smile...sounds like the drag on a fishing reel.

I didn't have time to try much else, but I left the track feeling reeaaaalllly happy about this truck. I think it is going to do very well for an above average club guy like myself. No mechanical issues on the truck. Everything functioned just as I had hoped. Sounds great on the track too.

Here's a pic of my setup after returning from the track, and here's a vid of a few laps...not my cleanest of the night, I think I knew the camera was on. This was taken before I adjusted my speed control.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Where are you measuring the ride height? I am measuring at the edges of the main chassis before it kicks up in the front and just behind the motor in the rear.

What ride height does everyone like?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RodneyB
Got my kit yesterday, built it last night, and had it out for practice at CRCRC in Columbus, Ohio tonight.

Ran the truck with 10K front and 5K rear, full time 4wd, kit shock build (did not have time to rebuild them), Proline Suburb 2.0 MC tires. Setup was similar but not identical to the Jason R setup on AE site. I have a Novak GTB2 with a LRP 5.5 550. Started with the 13t pinion.

I've really only run Kyosho stuff the last many years, so I'm definately not an AE "fanboy". I run 2wd SCT in addition to the traditional classes and was not going to try the 4x4 class until this truck came out. I've done the Ebuggy thing so the 4x4's built off those platforms did not draw me in like the AE design.

Right off the bat I thought the truck was overall good, but only good. Maybe a B- on turning, probably a C on punch and speed, jumped great. I spent most of the practice session messing with the slipper and changing gearing trying to figure out why I had no punch. It helped a little to tighten the slipper a bit. I added the outer high torque slipper. I went up to a 14t, then to a 15t. Each helped only a little. Incidentally, after a fair number of laps with each I was a 120F with the 13t, 140F with the 14t, and 160F with the 15t on the motor. The speedo never went above 100F. This was with about 80F air temperature on a medium sized indoor track. Long story short on the punch, right before I left I tried recalibrating the speedo using 120% throttle EPA instead of the 100% the GTB2 manual says (I remembered the old GTB used to tell you to put it at max). Punch and speed instantly came back (changed to a A grade for me), more than I'd ever need for this track. With the 15t and the proper settings I was at 165F.

Anyway, most of my testing was before I adjusted the speedo. Though the truck was turning consistent laps that are quite fast for SCT with this layout. I thought with full time 4wd, it pushed a little for me. I had only a little trouble with traction rolling when I was not used to how the car handled, and it did seem that when I brushed the pipe on a corner that it rolled a littler easier than my 2wd. I turned on the clicker just for fun by backing it off about 1 mm or so (measured 1.9mm thread showing). WOW. I was loving this. The truck instantly felt like my Kyosho SC-R only better out of the corners. The turning was quicker, it felt more agile, and I thought the rear end slid around with a lot of control. On the full time 4wd I thought it was difficult to slide the rear end around and when it did, it sometimes overrotated, with the clicker it was perfectly controlled and fast. I would recommend giving this a try for anyone that is acustom to 2wd SCT or will be driving them back to back on the same day. After making this change, I would rate the turning an A, at least for my driving style. Average lap time was about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds faster for me with the clicker than without. What a great feature. Plus, the clicker noise just makes me smile...sounds like the drag on a fishing reel.

I didn't have time to try much else, but I left the track feeling reeaaaalllly happy about this truck. I think it is going to do very well for an above average club guy like myself. No mechanical issues on the truck. Everything functioned just as I had hoped. Sounds great on the track too.

Here's a pic of my setup after returning from the track, and here's a vid of a few laps...not my cleanest of the night, I think I knew the camera was on. This was taken before I adjusted my speed control.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
finally a good review im dying to by one but afraid i wont like it
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

dang still haven't gotten mine.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RodneyB
Anyway, most of my testing was before I adjusted the speedo. Though the truck was turning consistent laps that are quite fast for SCT with this layout.....I turned on the clicker just for fun by backing it off about 1 mm or so (measured 1.9mm thread showing). WOW. I was loving this. The truck instantly felt like my Kyosho SC-R only better out of the corners. The turning was quicker, it felt more agile, and I thought the rear end slid around with a lot of control.....with the clicker it was perfectly controlled and fast. I would recommend giving this a try for anyone that is acustom to 2wd SCT or will be driving them back to back on the same day. After making this change, I would rate the turning an A, at least for my driving style. Average lap time was about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds faster for me with the clicker than without. What a great feature. Plus, the clicker noise just makes me smile...sounds like the drag on a fishing reel.

I didn't have time to try much else, but I left the track feeling reeaaaalllly happy about this truck.

THANK YOU!

On a side note, has anyone else checked their o-rings on the diffs? Not only were my diffs virtually empty, but I went one step further, removed the sun gears, and inspected the o-rings on the diff housing and the out-drive....no indication that black grease was applied at all....

I also thought that the steerning bell crank was binding ever-so-slightly on the pin.... but only at the bottom (the pin slid through 90% of the way cleanly, but it stuck at the bottom)

I used a body reamer to clear out the bit that it was binding on and now my pin slides all the way through with no resistance.... I'm sure it won't make much of a difference, but for anyone running a slightly lighter servo (130-160oz) it may be noticeable. (I also polished the pin with aluminum polish, for that extra bit of smooth sliding....but that's almost certainly overkill....)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Looking good rodney looks like atleast 3 of us have this truck. I may come check out your set up. I need motor esc and servo lol
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

Just ran my truck tonight. Made a part for a steering link until I get mine from ae. I can honestly say this truck feels a lot better then my jammin did. Only problem I have right now is a slight push so I will work on that but so far I'm glad I bought this truck
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Speedtech has 2 in stock...

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...d=885&id=11211

Tell them Brett sent you if you want a 100% markup...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

If you're in the Cerritos California area, EG Hobbies has 2 on the self....
Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Just finished mine. Everything went well, no missing parts. The shocks are awesome. This thing is thoughtfully engineered. Nothing was difficult, no odd angle putting in screws....
I cant wait to try it out.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I didn't have time to race, but I stopped by the track for 1 battery pack. I had my 6.5 lite with 15T pinion.

I've been running a Losi since the first conversion came out so this is something very new to me. Box stock I'm liking this truck allot. I turned the steering down to 55% and am still wrapping the tubes. Truck seems to over rotate when pushed, so I'll have to work on that a bit. It jumps allot nicer than the losi and don't push as bad as the losi. When I drive my losi I slide the rear end around turns, with the AE I could actually drive through the turns, which is more my driving style. I think with a few more packs and a little setup this will be my full time truck.

Only down side so far is my 6.5 was temping at 180. Temp was somewhere in the 70s. My RX8 had 70 on the timing, so I'll keep playing with the settings until I get it right. This 540 6.5 was plenty fast in this truck. Only time will tell if I need a 550 for outdoor tracks.

One other guy at the track had a 540 8.5 and he was hitting 200 on the temps with a 16t pinion. I sure hope we can run 540s without heat issues. I have a Tekin 4.5 and Novak 5.5 550 I can use, but really wanted to stay with a 540.

I'll post more when I get to the track again, maybe I'll have time tomorrow night for a pack or 2.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DRFTPRO
Hey guys I hope the building is going better for you than me. I built mine in about 6.5 hours. I am using a tekin 5.5 sc4x. I matched it with a 14t instead of a 13t pinion that the manual called for. my motor is getting a little hot and that is after 4 minutes running. What bother me most it that when i flat out accelerate the motor acts like it has a rev limiter on it and it wont go fast at all. When i accelerate smoothly it will hit a normal top speed. Iam using the VXL ESC out of a slash 4x4. If any one can give me some insight I would appreciate it.

i dont own this truck but sounds like you need to tighten up the slipper clutch to me
Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Regular

I got to race mine for the first time tonight. Having never driven a 4x4 before, this truck took a little getting used to. The only upgrades I have on the truck are the vented outer slipper hub and outer high torque pad. I too was having "punch" issues. I turned the slipper nut down about 3/8ths of a turn and it seemed to help. The steering radius is nuts. It turns way tighter than my 2wd but I was having traction roll issues at times. I don't know the exact ride height but my front and rear bones are level. Front shocks are turned all the way up and my rears show 4-5 threads. Stock fluid. After an 8 min main the motor temped at 120 and esc at 130. I ran 7k oil in the front diff and 3k in the rear. Overall I am very happy with this truck.

I have never owned a 4x4 before so any tips would be greatly appreciated for improvement. Its a little hard to go off the set up sheets since they seem to all be centered around sway bars that are yet to be released.

Track: High bite, blue groove, indoor track outbackraceway.com
Motor/esc: Castle 3800kv/MMP
Servo: XP ds1015
Tires: Green JC Subcultures
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hgrove99
i dont own this truck but sounds like you need to tighten up the slipper clutch to me

It's not the slipper. I put a tekin 6.5 550 motor in my slash & it did the same thing. After I installed a different speed controller it worked fine. The vxl will not run the 550 tekin motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.