Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevink123
I'm going to be using my LRP with a thunderpower 7.5 with a high torque rotor in the 4x4. From reading a million pages I got the idea to start at a 16/93 the question I have is that a 48pitch or 32 I should use. Its a 540 can btw thanks.
Use the 32 pitch. I've heard alot of guys talking about stripping the 48 pitch gears fairly easily. That's just my .02¢.

Last edited by lodhammerdin; 07-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
Yeah. To better phrase it: For the same numbe of coils, the length does not matter. With a longer spring you can compress it further, so fully compressed the longer (stretched out) spring will be able to apply more force, but only because it is being displaced further from its neutral point.
It is very easy to confuse rate with load....
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FTSC10
Your posts are so DAMN annoying.
Read this...

http://www.esquire.com/features/third-person-1108
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Haha!!! This just seems to fit him and I don't even know him... " Response No. 1, by Elsa Ronningstam, associate clinical professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School and author of Identifying and Understanding the Narcissistic Personality: Referring to yourself in the third person creates distance between "I" and "he." So if you have an exaggerated view of how great you are, you could be using this distance to make yourself even bigger. Or, if you've achieved major success suddenly, using the third person could be a way to adjust to the bigger role that's been assigned to you. It's a way to enlarge yourself to fit that role." Haha!!! That's funny right there!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lodhammerdin
I did my diffs at the track in between rounds of heats this weekend and only took me 510I minute to pull them both out and put them back in.
510I?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by umm winning
510I?
That's either 51 mins or 85hrs...the later would apply to me.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think he meant 5 - 10 minutes.... unless his track has an hour between heats and he never marshalls anyone elses races....

At my track, if you aren't racing, you are marshalling....2-5 minutes between races, then a 20 minute break between rounds...

After I race, I have to run, get my truck off the track, get the old battery on the charger, get back out on the race track to marshal.... then once the round is done, I have 20 minutes to get my truck ready for the next round...sorry, not enough time to check camber, ride height, clean the truck, AND change a diff...assuming you have one pre-built with different oil...
Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Use the 32 pitch. I've heard alot of guys talking about stripping the 48 pitch gears fairly easily. That's just my .02¢.
I'm running the 48 pitch gears with a 8.5 540. Maybe it's because it's not a high torque motor or just because I'm use to setting gear mesh on 64 pitch on-road gears (and thus am VERY anal about it) but I've had no issues with stripping gears. Truck is really quiet compared to some of the others out there too.

And for those of you changing diffs between heats in 5-10 minutes, you MUST be using the electric drivers to do it...even then 5-10 minutes seems REALLY fast. Took me well over an hour to change out the fluid in my front diff and that was putting it back together with an electric driver...had to take it apart with hand drivers.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
Depends....does he like running things over, or driving with skill?

Kidding....mostly.

The SC104x4 rewards smooth, articulate driving....

The Losi rewards aggressive, balls to the wall aggressiveness....

To each his own....but I would rather be a racer than a redneck wifebeater..... (ooooh...was that a little off colour?)

We have 1 (ONE) Losi at our track....4 SC104x4s...a couple of Ofnas and a couple of Slashes..... The SC10s are consistently 4 of the top 6...the Losi is either 2nd or 2nd last..... depending on what broke.... one of the Ofnas is consistently a half lap (on 50 second laps) ahead of everyone but the guy could be driving a 2wd strike and still kicking our butts.... the other Ofna is usally right in the middle of the pack...

I much prefer the driving style of the SC104x4....but have only ever driven it, or a Slash 4x4 VXL....on 3S.....which is not really a racer, but a crap ton of fun!

This vid is of a Slayer running a custom .21 engine....and I have to say, the Slash on 3S is just as rediculous....I cleared the back triple and left tire marks on the "Fountain Tire" (Yellow) banner at the top of the trailer....
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Moral is....do you want to just plain have fun "bashing" on a track, or do you want to be a competitive racer....

If you want to be a competitive racer, are you Kyle Petty, smashing your way to the front, or Richard Petty, respecting other's racing lines and trying to find the fastest way around the track?

Bashing = something Traxxas with some rediculous motor+battery or engine
Kyle Petty = Losi
Richard Petty = AE

And....well....the Durango has got to be Lee Petty....competitive....old school ideas...if you're used to driving saddle packs in another class, and want to see if it will hold up in the SC4x4 class, get the Durango.... if you don't know what Saddle Packs are...stay away!
Lol, I have a slayer with a AE .28 in it! My last nitro, haven't driven it in a year or so.
That's some big air in your video!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
I think he meant 5 - 10 minutes.... unless his track has an hour between heats and he never marshalls anyone elses races....

At my track, if you aren't racing, you are marshalling....2-5 minutes between races, then a 20 minute break between rounds...

After I race, I have to run, get my truck off the track, get the old battery on the charger, get back out on the race track to marshal.... then once the round is done, I have 20 minutes to get my truck ready for the next round...sorry, not enough time to check camber, ride height, clean the truck, AND change a diff...assuming you have one pre-built with different oil...
lol same here... 5-10 minutes? i wish!!!! it took me an hour to get to all 3 of my losi scte diffs.... thats just to remove them and clean the chassis and fill them...
Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FTSC10
Your posts are so DAMN annoying.
Start whining when you start contributing
Haha!!! This just seems to fit him and I don't even know him... " Response No. 1, by Elsa Ronningstam, associate clinical professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School and author of Identifying and Understanding the Narcissistic Personality: Referring to yourself in the third person creates distance between "I" and "he." So if you have an exaggerated view of how great you are, you could be using this distance to make yourself even bigger. Or, if you've achieved major success suddenly, using the third person could be a way to adjust to the bigger role that's been assigned to you. It's a way to enlarge yourself to fit that role." Haha!!! That's funny right there!!!
Aha, but it's the opposite.

"I" is a pronoun that one can use for nobody but themselves. ThunderbirdJunkie is not so self-important that he requires use of self-specific pronouns to refer to himself
Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Anyone have cogging issues with the lrp x12L? I finally got mine yesterday(hobby shop got two 4.5's in) put it in was pretty happy with it and at lap 3 it started cogging under hard acceleration at one part of the track to get over a large jump. I geared it accordingly to the manual at a 12/62, had a friend check temps about 2-3 minutes it was fine. Pulled it off at the 6-7 minute mark and it was about 190 and the bit of cogging got worse, thats why i pulled it off. Went a tooth smaller maybe i should have went the other direction but i had blistering speed and it wasnt topping out soon so i figured going down to the 11 would be fine. Ran for a few minutes, cogging was still there in the same spot and temps still got a bit on the high side but never too high. Now the motor is toast after about three short times driving it, im hoping it was defective because i didn't do anything bad or out of the ordinary. The motor was very impressive but honestly with the cogging issue it didnt do anything better then the previous 540's i had before.
So i guess im going to take the gamble and try the other one in the shop and hopefully the shop owner will handle the other one since the way i see it he wanted me to test it since he also owns a sc104x so it could have easily been himself in my shoes.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
Anyone have cogging issues with the lrp x12L? I finally got mine yesterday(hobby shop got two 4.5's in) put it in was pretty happy with it and at lap 3 it started cogging under hard acceleration at one part of the track to get over a large jump. I geared it accordingly to the manual at a 12/62, had a friend check temps about 2-3 minutes it was fine. Pulled it off at the 6-7 minute mark and it was about 190 and the bit of cogging got worse, thats why i pulled it off. Went a tooth smaller maybe i should have went the other direction but i had blistering speed and it wasnt topping out soon so i figured going down to the 11 would be fine. Ran for a few minutes, cogging was still there in the same spot and temps still got a bit on the high side but never too high. Now the motor is toast after about three short times driving it, im hoping it was defective because i didn't do anything bad or out of the ordinary. The motor was very impressive but honestly with the cogging issue it didnt do anything better then the previous 540's i had before.
So i guess im going to take the gamble and try the other one in the shop and hopefully the shop owner will handle the other one since the way i see it he wanted me to test it since he also owns a sc104x so it could have easily been himself in my shoes.
Stupid question, but have you made sure the sensor wire was plugged in all the way? Do you have a Tekin RS speedo you can plug it into to diag the sensor board?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys Im finally getting close to getting my truck dialed in on a tight indoor clay track but still have some work to do.

One problem Im having is rolling over in corners/top heavy/traxxas type feeling. Should I adjust roll center by adding washers under the balls? Anyone know of a way to stop this from happening?

Another problem is when I overshoot a jump and the truck lands in the flat it wants to flip over. Anyone know of any fixes for this situation that wont mess with my setup too much?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Stupid question, but have you made sure the sensor wire was plugged in all the way? Do you have a Tekin RS speedo you can plug it into to diag the sensor board?
Yes, check the sensor wire at least. I bought a MMP used, and was having cogging issues at start up, with a LRP 10.5, and it and the speedo was hot. Borrowed a buddies Ballistic 6.5, 550, with the his sensor wire, and it ran fine, and cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.