Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Ok just got this truck this week. Looking to start building it tomorrow.

Was wondering if people have been using the smaller 540 motors with this truck and if so how is copared to the 550 motor.

Reason I am asking is I have a 4.5 ballastic 550 and a 4.5 540 trinity duo 2 motor how would these compare to each other
Heat?
Run time?
Over all speed?

Also where can I get these o-rings everyone is talking about

How important is it to get the swaybars can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks for help
Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Got the Traxxas 12mm alum hex adapters from Amain. They include the pins and shims. I got eight screws in my kit but I guess four of them are spares, right? They are tiny so I guess they strip easily. Should I use both shims on each adapter between the bearing and the pin? Also, do you use any threadlock (blue) on the screws?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macke
Got the Traxxas 12mm alum hex adapters from Amain. They include the pins and shims. I got eight screws in my kit but I guess four of them are spares, right? They are tiny so I guess they strip easily. Should I use both shims on each adapter between the bearing and the pin? Also, do you use any threadlock (blue) on the screws?
If you can get two washers on and still push the pin right thru then I would use two. Yes use blue loc tight on all metal to metal.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jstall7543
If you can get two washers on and still push the pin right thru then I would use two. Yes use blue loc tight on all metal to metal.
Thanks. They are now mounted and I had to use both shims. There is a tiny bit of play (about half a shim). Perfect!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm having belt problems big time. Belt is slipping and at times it will get bound up in the front. I have the tensioners set for max tension. This is really frustrating.

Also the stock wheels let so much clay come inside that the tire grew like a balloon and was wayyy out of balance, it was wobbling something stupid! . Mind you I was racing on a wet clay surface.

I guess the DE wheels are much better?

I hate to say this but a friend let me drive his Losi and I liked it alot. It was so much easier to drive, I feel like I'm fighting my truck. Mind you I run on mostly loamy, clay rough surfaces. THe Losi didn't accelerate as hard but it jumped great and I could full throttle over our whoopie section and the truck stayed planted. I even liked the way it jumped.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
I'm having belt problems big time. Belt is slipping and at times it will get bound up in the front. I have the tensioners set for max tension. This is really frustrating.

Also the stock wheels let so much clay come inside that the tire grew like a balloon and was wayyy out of balance, it was wobbling something stupid! . Mind you I was racing on a wet clay surface.

I guess the DE wheels are much better?

I hate to say this but a friend let me drive his Losi and I liked it alot. It was so much easier to drive, I feel like I'm fighting my truck. Mind you I run on mostly loamy, clay rough surfaces. THe Losi didn't accelerate as hard but it jumped great and I could full throttle over our whoopie section and the truck stayed planted. I even liked the way it jumped.
Did you tape the big holes in the AE wheels? I'm guessing not?

I've got the DE wheels and they are nice, no holes inside the wheels and way less flex than the AE wheel.

Don't give up on it yet.....

Plus that's a tuff screen name to be rockin in the Losi thread....
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

I am having the same problem. Tried everything. Tight belt. Medium belt. Loose belt. New belt, pulleys and tensioners. Always kicks off when Im in the lead or getting close. Got it handling great. Just need to finish.I think its the wimpy plastic front housing that the tensioner is mounted to. An aluminum one would be much smarter. Why Associated every went to belt vs shaft I dont know. Looking at the Losi also.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcracenut
I am having the same problem. Tried everything. Tight belt. Medium belt. Loose belt. New belt, pulleys and tensioners. Always kicks off when Im in the lead or getting close. Got it handling great. Just need to finish.I think its the wimpy plastic front housing that the tensioner is mounted to. An aluminum one would be much smarter. Why Associated every went to belt vs shaft I dont know. Looking at the Losi also.

I bet your right about the flimsy front belt covers/case.

Have you ever tried to bend the truck in a U shape? Simulating the front or rear having upward force on it? I did and theres' quite a bit of flex.

I could see the all the flexing having the negative effect of loading and unloading the belt quickly. Add braking into the mix and I could see the belt getting out of whack.

Someone needs to come up w/ a upper chassis stiffener.

Does it always seem to happen on landings or right after that?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vegatron75
Did you tape the big holes in the AE wheels? I'm guessing not?

I've got the DE wheels and they are nice, no holes inside the wheels and way less flex than the AE wheel.

Don't give up on it yet.....

Plus that's a tuff screen name to be rockin in the Losi thread....
didn't tape, but I'll try that. My lhs doesn't have the DE wheels which I want.

hahah yea I'd have to ask a moderator to change my name or something LOL.

A lot of people were watching me closely and they saw the issues I was having and they were all saying that's why they didn't go AE because of potential belt issues. Very disappointing to say the least I was hoping to do better.

I didn't finish twice because of belt issues. I have a fresh belt on there with a new front pulley.

Honestly in the loose, wet loamy clay the Losi ran great. I hate to say it but I wish our truck was heavier and better balanced.

In my opinion it's designed for more of a smoother high bite surface. I run on the exact opposite.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bob Moore
Ok just got this truck this week. Looking to start building it tomorrow.

Was wondering if people have been using the smaller 540 motors with this truck and if so how is copared to the 550 motor.

Reason I am asking is I have a 4.5 ballastic 550 and a 4.5 540 trinity duo 2 motor how would these compare to each other
Heat?
Run time?
Over all speed?

Also where can I get these o-rings everyone is talking about

How important is it to get the swaybars can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks for help
most using the 540 motors are using the 4-Pole Castle 3800. Swaybars are a must.....Tower had the Fronts in Limited stock this AM....not sure if they still do.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I too was having this problem but now have it running fine. Here are the things that worked for me:
1. make sure your front adjustment pulley is on correctly, I had mine backwards
2. check the inside of your front cover it may have build up or be distorted from the belt coming off, I actually replaced the cover on mine it was pretty bad.
3. I put a new belt on mine.

Hope this helps
Old 07-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Haven't had any belt problems yet, but I'm about fed up with one issue my truck has. On big jumps, it jumps way nose high, and even slamming the brakes won't bring the nose down far enough. It's hurting my laps times on layouts with a big jump or two, as often I have to roll the jump because the truck won't fly level and nail the landing. Rebuilding a used Durango now, and if its more stable and jumps better, the AE is going away.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

A lot of people were watching me closely and they saw the issues I was having and they were all saying that's why they didn't go AE because of potential belt issues. Very disappointing to say the least I was hoping to do better.

I didn't finish twice because of belt issues. I have a fresh belt on there with a new front pulley.

Honestly in the loose, wet loamy clay the Losi ran great. I hate to say it but I wish our truck was heavier and better balanced.

In my opinion it's designed for more of a smoother high bite surface. I run on the exact opposite.
Just order the De's from the guy who makes them. He'll have them too ya in a couple of days.

I can't believe that the belt has caused you to DNF. Our indoor track is over ran w/ SC104's, I've yet to see a belt cause anyone to not finish. Not saying your lying, I just havent' seen it yet.

I thought the same about the ae truck is good inside and the losi better outside. Until I ran mine on a blown out 1/8 track, it worked way better than I thought it would. I beat both the Losis there and 2 1/8 e buggies w/ the SC104x.

Try bracing the top of the chassis somehow, or someway to brace the middle belt cover.

The losi truck is old news, 3 diff buggy w/ a truck body, stick w/ the SC10, it'll come around.

What tires are you running outside?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 99 (99%+)

For weeks I've fought with my sc10 and nothing I did seem to do made my truck to even drive decent at best. I got cranky and tore it down to nuts and bolts and started all over again. 30k fr, 5k rear and the shocks I used 30wt r and 35f 1.2 pistons with half rebound.

The rest I built box stock and threw out most of what I've read on the forum and went to the track. Well my lhs had a scte in stock. If you were to know me you could understand how much this pained me but I just wanted to enjoy my Sundays and not fight my truck. I put the scte behind the counter for after race day.

Well my race day was awesome .. the truck did a total 360 from prior weeks at the track and I cut my lap fast times by 5-6 seconds a lap. There is nothing I can do to make me drive better so that issue isn't going anywhere just yet.

Don't give up on this truck because when you do get it right you wont be disappointed.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Haven't had any belt problems yet, but I'm about fed up with one issue my truck has. On big jumps, it jumps way nose high, and even slamming the brakes won't bring the nose down far enough. It's hurting my laps times on layouts with a big jump or two, as often I have to roll the jump because the truck won't fly level and nail the landing. Rebuilding a used Durango now, and if its more stable and jumps better, the AE is going away.
This might be a finger issue. Not flaming, just saying throttle response can 95% correct this. As your truck is on the up ramp, where is your throttle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.