Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

yup im serious. im in the process of building mine and i removed every 4th tooth in hopes of freeing up the drivetrain.
You've never heard of this done in the past. i never did it with my xxx-4 but i know others did. And alot of people did it with touring cars.
maybe i should keep my crackhead ideas out of the forum
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
yup im serious. im in the process of building mine and i removed every 4th tooth in hopes of freeing up the drivetrain.
You've never heard of this done in the past. i never did it with my xxx-4 but i know others did. And alot of people did it with touring cars.
if i remember back in the day people were cutting belts inhalf
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
Well I dont assume I know everything, so if this is a legit idea , I'm all ears. You obviousely know things i dont, so keep them comming.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
the enduros didnt work well for you?? maybe AKA gridirons. Besides roll center and diff oils, tires have made the biggest difference with the truck for me.

Eli, are you seriouse? no sarcasm intended.
I forgot to mention im running outdoors big 1/8 style track loose dirt sand south louisiana mix lol seems ok at my friends smaller track. But still loose I've tried all of the tires I mentioned. Just ran with 30,000 front and 5000 rear seemed a little better. Up from 20000 3000 setup.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Well I dont assume I know everything, so if this is a legit idea , I'm all ears. You obviousely know things i dont, so keep them comming.
I did assemble the belt before hand and checked resistance then decided to do this, originally i was going to do every 3rd tooth but after looking at it i decided every 4th would be better. After cutting every fourth tooth off it did seem to have a slightly less resistance.
If i wasnt trying to get away with running a 540 set-up i wouldn't have done it.
my trackstart o-rings showed up today so i can finish my shocks and now im just waiting on a front sway bar (i know i can make one, but id rather not) and my body from my awesome painter.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 250r
I forgot to mention im running outdoors big 1/8 style track loose dirt sand south louisiana mix lol seems ok at my friends smaller track. But still loose I've tried all of the tires I mentioned. Just ran with 30,000 front and 5000 rear seemed a little better. Up from 20000 3000 setup.
i forgot to mention, im running on a indoor clay track thats starting to blue-groove.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eli
i forgot to mention, im running on a indoor clay track thats starting to blue-groove.
How is that new San Diego indoor track? I'm going to run mine in Hemet with a 540 setup too. Never heard of someone cutting off teeth to free up resistance in a belt. Cutting in half sure, but that was to reduce rotating mass as much as it was to reduce friction. Sadly you usually had to increase tension to reduce belt slip since you were also reducing friction thus traction of the belt on the pullies. Then again, neither did any of the fast guys I raced with. Probably would have if they did. LOL
Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Robotech
How is that new San Diego indoor track? I'm going to run mine in Hemet with a 540 setup too. Never heard of someone cutting off teeth to free up resistance in a belt. Cutting in half sure, but that was to reduce rotating mass as much as it was to reduce friction. Sadly you usually had to increase tension to reduce belt slip since you were also reducing friction thus traction of the belt on the pullies. Then again, neither did any of the fast guys I raced with. Probably would have if they did. LOL
The new indoor track is getting really really good since we brought in just about 100% clay. before hand it was a little iffy but it didnt wear tires cause there wasnt much traction. Now with this new clay it hooks up pretty good and tires are now wearing.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by shadoflame
is anyone having to add weights to balance our their truck? to my luck, the battery side is slightly heavier than the electronics side. im used to it being the other way around. for my 10th scale on-road sedan it was very critical to balance it.

does it apply critically in off road as well?

Suggest using around 21 grams , mount it forward, left side.....
Attached Thumbnails SC10 4x4 Thread-img0002.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Suggest using around 21 grams , mount it forward, left side.....
thanks. on a slightly different note, many people are liking the losi since it's heavier. im happy i can add weight since it's easier than having to take off.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by shadoflame
thanks. on a slightly different note, many people are liking the losi since it's heavier. im happy i can add weight since it's easier than having to take off.

I go by Ae Team driver's set-up's & advise .

So far I have heard of none of the other drivers adding extra ballast other then to off-set the battery.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eli
This brings back the memories, this was popular on the Tamiya TA03 which is pretty much the exact same layout as this truck. Two 3 gear transmissions connected by belt. Also people used to soak them in WD40. I have not tried either method personally, let us know how it works. One of the hot upgrades on the TA03 was aluminum pulleys for less drag.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's a tough call regarding modding the belt "like the good old days"

Back then with brushed motors running on NICD's you would almost have to..but now with the power we are seeing from LIPO's and brush less motors...

I cant see it helping all that much..Just my .02
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just found this awesome looking driver/overtray. My only problem is i would have even more heat issues. tempting though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SC10-4X4-INTERIO...item2311a8cc0d
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ktm11rider
Just found this awesome looking driver/overtray. My only problem is i would have even more heat issues. tempting though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SC10-4X4-INTERIO...item2311a8cc0d
Thats pretty sweet, i almost think they should make it mandatory to have a driver to add to the realism.
Back in my slot car racing days the class i was in you had to have a driver in your body.
You might be able to mount it so it doesnt block air flow to the motor and esc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.