Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowtruggy
Go to championrc.com he had 1 in stock as of this pass saturday
The problem for me is price. Since I'm not in the US, Tower offer some big discounts, basically It would work out free shipping which will be about US$60. Thats a pretty decent savings and I'm guessing I'm not in too much of a hurry as the Tekin Pro4 motors are awhile away.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Come on down to West Coast Raceway in La Mirada , CA

We have 4 kits in stock and rear sway bars as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg M
The problem for me is price. Since I'm not in the US, Tower offer some big discounts, basically It would work out free shipping which will be about US$60. Thats a pretty decent savings and I'm guessing I'm not in too much of a hurry as the Tekin Pro4 motors are awhile away.
New Zealand huh, I went on vacation there for 15 days and loved it. It seemed everything there that had to be imported was much mor expensive.
Good luck with your buy.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grubster
Where is everyone measuring ride height from? Where the center chassis intersects the front and rear segments, or under the ends of the car? With the the way the bottom slopes it makes a big differece. Thanks guys.

I'm pretty happy with the way my truck handles on the ground, I just need the truck to land smoother. I am thinking about trying reducing the pack(larger holes in the pistons). Has anyone tried that yet? Results?
Let me try my ride height question a different way. The set-up sheets from the team drivers on Associated site show between 25-27mm ride height. Does anyone know specifically where they are measuring from? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Let me try my ride height question a different way. The set-up sheets from the team drivers on Associated site show between 25-27mm ride height. Does anyone know specifically where they are measuring from? Thanks.
I think one of them posted that they measure at either end of the center chassis section.... that's where I measure it at.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Come on down to West Coast Raceway in La Mirada , CA

We have 4 kits in stock and rear sway bars as well.
What's the web site need the rear sway bars
Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
New Zealand huh, I went on vacation there for 15 days and loved it. It seemed everything there that had to be imported was much mor expensive.
Good luck with your buy.
Yea, awesome country. Its about a 50:50 on imports, we import cars, electronics, machinery, fuel and obviously all rc car gear. Prices aren't too bad, most importers prices are competitive with overseas, but some brands aren't.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

diff between front and rear bars:
Attached Thumbnails SC10 4x4 Thread-img_20110629_193305.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chad Smith
Just to make sure I am understanding correctly. You are saying its better to fill the diff all the way up with diff fluid, and then when you tighten the other side of the diff down it lets the excees fluid out. Instead of letting air in the diff?
Originally Posted by Chad Smith
Also, when you fill the diff up with fluid is it a good idea to move the gears around and make sure the fluid is applied everywhere, and not just sitting in the middle of the diff before you tighten down the other side of the diff?
Originally Posted by nougat
I always thought you fill the diff up to the top of the gears (not the cross bars, which are a little lower). Always remember to spin the gears a little before you close it up, because the air underneath the gears comes up and the fluid level drops.

Fill the diff to the top of the planetary gears (the 4 gears that are not attached to your outdrives

Work the gears back and forth, tilt the diff slightly to one side or the other so that the air bubbles work their way to the surface

re-fill the diff to about the top of the planetary gears again, now that the air bubbles are worked out.

Press the other diff half into the diff case, making sure that the gears line up properly. There should be a small amount of diff fluid squeeze out of the diff at the seal. Work the gears back and forth a little and screw it together.

If you are using light fluid, you are pretty much done...if you are using thicker fluid, I suggest also:

orient the diff so that it is laying the same way it would in the truck, with the two outdrives to the sides. This will allow the oil to work it's way in behind both of the Sun gears, and any remaining air will work it's way to the top. Work the outdrives back and forth to loosen the surface tension of the oil/air.

Let it set overnight, then take the diff appart, and stand the two halves on the outdrives. The oil should stay in behind the sun gear on the smaller half, and the air bubbles will work their way to the surface of the larger half.

Let it sit for a bit while you work on something else, then after about a half hour, pour a little bit of oil onto the sun gear on the smaller diff half, then flip it over into the larger casing. again, you should have a little bit of oil squeeze out, and hopefully you will not have any huge air bubbles in the diff casing.

Some air is inevitable, but you want to get as much out as possible.... 60k diff oil that fills the diff will provide different diff action than a diff that is half oil and half air, which will still be different than a diff who's oil barely coats the gears....
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrjeremyaaron
Guys is this motor legal and a good choice for this truck..?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....d=244709666884
a) not if your track sticks to ROAR rules....that motor may be legal for 1/8th scale, but the can is definately larger than a 540 or 550 motor....

b) I know someone managed to shoehorn either a Tekin or a Novak 1/8th scale motor into the motor bay on this truck, but you would have almost no room to play with moving the motor back and forth for gear mesh.... You would have to find the ONE pinion/spur combination that fit the best and stick with it

c) These trucks weigh half as much as an 8th scale buggy/truggy....the vehicles that motor was designed for... you planning on launching that truck into the next state?

Get a motor that was designed for 4x4 SC trucks. I know Hobbywing makes a few that are on the cheaper side...they even have ESCs aimed at SC trucks...

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Pro...ruck BL System

though for the price, the castle stuff is looking pretty good. I always used to have a prejudice against Castle just because Slaxxas uses them....but the 1410 4 pole is beginning to make me reconsider.... That being said, Tekin will be coming out with their own 4pole soon....
Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sofa King
I think one of them posted that they measure at either end of the center chassis section.... that's where I measure it at.
this is correct, and is straight from AE drivers..
Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sofa King
Thank you.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You need these diffs FULL of fluid
The SC10 4x4 owners at my track have been filling the diffs per the AE vid which recommends filling to 1/2 way up the planetary gears, so split the pins. Overfilling can lead to leaking diffs or worse. I don't think I have owned anthing that recommended filling the diffs completely full.

http://www.teamassociated.com/multim...tial_Assembly/

Last edited by PanicRev; 06-29-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
Fill the diff to the top of the planetary gears (the 4 gears that are not attached to your outdrives

Work the gears back and forth, tilt the diff slightly to one side or the other so that the air bubbles work their way to the surface

re-fill the diff to about the top of the planetary gears again, now that the air bubbles are worked out.

Press the other diff half into the diff case, making sure that the gears line up properly. There should be a small amount of diff fluid squeeze out of the diff at the seal. Work the gears back and forth a little and screw it together.

If you are using light fluid, you are pretty much done...if you are using thicker fluid, I suggest also:

orient the diff so that it is laying the same way it would in the truck, with the two outdrives to the sides. This will allow the oil to work it's way in behind both of the Sun gears, and any remaining air will work it's way to the top. Work the outdrives back and forth to loosen the surface tension of the oil/air.

Let it set overnight, then take the diff appart, and stand the two halves on the outdrives. The oil should stay in behind the sun gear on the smaller half, and the air bubbles will work their way to the surface of the larger half.

Let it sit for a bit while you work on something else, then after about a half hour, pour a little bit of oil onto the sun gear on the smaller diff half, then flip it over into the larger casing. again, you should have a little bit of oil squeeze out, and hopefully you will not have any huge air bubbles in the diff casing.

Some air is inevitable, but you want to get as much out as possible.... 60k diff oil that fills the diff will provide different diff action than a diff that is half oil and half air, which will still be different than a diff who's oil barely coats the gears....
Jang says the same thing here on his sc10 4x4 final setup review..Go straight to 4:36..Good knowledge here, especially how the steering assembly makes the most out of the speed your particular servo has..Servos seem and perform faster on this truck than in others b/c of the steering assembly's inherent mechanical gain..Cool engineering Team Ae..Just a pain in the but to get to the servo if need be, but no biggie imo..So go for a good torc servo with decent speed and loosen up that servo saver spring from whats recomended on the manual...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6h7MYxPywk
Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Questions?? hot motor

Guys, I'm running the mmp w/Orion Race v2 6.5T geared at 16/93 on a tight indoor med grip track. After about 7-8 mins the motor is coming off at around 195. The esc is barely warm enough for the fan to kick on. A 16 tooth pinion is what was suggested in the manual. Which direction should I go to bring temps down a little?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.