Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ABN Hoosier
Do me a favor? Come visit RCTEN.com, (the ADMIN's is a great guy) it's a nice forum and your know-how would help a lot of racers on that forum. Lemme know, thanks.

Thanks for the tip , will visit and try out ...
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Thanks for the tip , will visit and try out ...
WC, thanks. Sincerely, you are very welcome.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ABN Hoosier
great race, you can see CB bump and wait during the race, which is great track/race etiquette not seen very much at a lot of tracks anymore. The car that was leading at first had to be thinking "Chad Bradley is reeling me in!!!" A lot of pressure .
Shark were you in this race? BTW, Chad Bradley is a great guy. I met him at a Nitro Challenge race a few years back. He was with Jay Halsey and Gary Guest. Very nice guys and were helpful to a newb like me, at the time...

Also, I see you are hard at it again with the SC104x4. Nice setup you have on the "Shark Ultralite". nice work Bro. You should be sponsored dude! Do me a favor? Come visit RCTEN.com, (the ADMIN's is a great guy) it's a nice forum and your know-how would help a lot of racers on that forum. Lemme know, thanks.

ABN Hoosier, I am usually there every weekend but the week I miss Chad shows up. He is a cool guy, I raced with him a few times over at Hot Rod Hobbies (another local track). You notice how he did not flip (crash) at all, even with some hacking going on. And I think he is still running Ofna when he races SC. But I do race with all the other guys in the video.

I will definitely check out RCTEN.com.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Reedy announced details on their SQ packs (shaped like a square & supposedly same dimensions as saddle pack w/o the jumper so should fit perfect) Looks like it weighs 40g more than 5700 65c saddles

Reedy LiPo 5800mAh 65C 7.4V SQ
UPC: 784695 003149
Available: Nov. 2013

#314 Specifications:

Capacity 5800mAh
Voltage 7.4V (2S)
Dimensions (mm) 93 x 68.5 x 25.1
Max. Charge Current 11.6 (2C)
Discharge 65C cont., 120C burst
Weight (g) 318

http://teamassociated.com/news/lates...n_LiPo_Battery
Old 10-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Is it worth getting a chassis brace or you don't really need it.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413
ABN Hoosier, I am usually there every weekend but the week I miss Chad shows up. He is a cool guy, I raced with him a few times over at Hot Rod Hobbies (another local track). You notice how he did not flip (crash) at all, even with some hacking going on. And I think he is still running Ofna when he races SC. But I do race with all the other guys in the video.

I will definitely check out RCTEN.com.
Yeah, consistency certainly wins races. Just like marksmanship. Getting the same sight picture, same cheek to stock, same sight alignment, same trigger squeeze, POW! Good stuff. He recently got with AMain too, and is fired up about that. Happy for him.

Shark, glad to hear from you again, hope to see you over there!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M03Racer
Yes it is but you can also make one out of a hollow carbon fiber rod with a fully threaded 440 rod and use any shock ends to mount onto the chassis. Just use the existing hole on the front body mount and drill a hole on top of the motor housing. This reduces the amount of chassis flex during nose dives and will also prevent the belt from skipping on the drive pulley.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by M03Racer
I would consider this one of the "must haves" for the truck. If you are running an Exotek chassis you may be good without but I cannot say for certain as I have not tried.

You can make one as gtfour mentioned (really very easy to make) or you can buy the parts from the FT kit and convert it.

It really is worth having.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

go over on RC short course.com and find my post on the custom brace mob modhttp://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/t...sis-brace.htmlstill the last post
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Diff Compare-O-

Our clubs results are finally posted so I can show my results. The timing could not be better with all of the recent posts on this but to be honest this debate has been going on for 2000+ pages so I wanted to see if what I feel translated into actual times.

To start I want to say this comparison is over a month and a half on an outdoor track so the conditions obviously change from race to race. I am not lucky enough to have access to a facility where I can run laps on a timing system for testing. Instead this is 3 different race days. What I can tell you is that I ran the same setup other than changing the rear camber from -2 to -3 on the 2nd race day and back to -2 on the 3rd ... otherwise all other settings stayed the same.

I have been using the c-diff for quite some time and prefer it for my conditions which are dry'ish, loose and rough so I may be a bit biased but hopefully this did not reflect in my driving.

My thoughts on the diffs that I have tried on my truck:

First came the stock slipper and it was junk in my opinion. I ended up getting some Garos after reading good about them and noticed a huge difference.

The VTS came out so got that. With HD pads it is okay. I am not one for controlling wheel spin with a slipper, rather I like to use throttle control. My main issue with this setup is that I am not able to get rid of the slipping no matter how tight I make the nut and due to glazing it only gets worse.

The VTS with Garos is good for me as I am able to tighten it to the point where it does not slip (or at least not that I notice). I found this very helpful last year when I was racing on pavement with the truck. A real bonus to the Garos is that they did not glaze which, if you want a slipper to slip, would lead to a very consistent feel.

The c-diff ... my favorite. I started with the v1 when it came out and really did like it on loose dirt. I got the v2 conversion when it was introduced and found the adjustability via pin count to be great for settling down the rear end on heavy acceleration out of the corners. I will warn anyone thinking about this unit that it does require some maintenance. I end up with dust inside my covers which cakes on the diff lube. My worry is that it will cause accelerated wear to the pins so I tend to clean and re-lube after each race day. It may not be needed but it is what I do.

So, you know my reasons for liking or not liking the various diffs that I have tried. Now for the numbers. I have covered the names of the innocent but left mine so you know which times are mine.

Any chance that anyone else has done this? If not I would be interested in seeing someone who has access to a timed facility for testing try this out. Perhaps WC or someone else with access to clay could try it as well. It would be interesting to see the results as I am sure they may change depending upon surfaces.

Not shooting for a sales pitch here, just hoping my thoughts as well as results may help someone if they are leaning one way or another.
Attached Thumbnails SC10 4x4 Thread-times.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Would you guys suggest running the center saddle pack setup over the side stick pack setup? Thnx
Old 10-17-2013, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcwarlock22
Would you guys suggest running the center saddle pack setup over the side stick pack setup? Thnx
I would definitely recommend it. Or u might buy a shortie lipo and run it sideways. I have the original sc10 4x4 and a Ft truck and its night and day over the original truck. The saddle pack setup is definitely better imo. There are several options for this truck at this point you should try them all but I'm very happy with saddle packs myself.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AzFittin
Our clubs results are finally posted so I can show my results. The timing could not be better with all of the recent posts on this but to be honest this debate has been going on for 2000+ pages so I wanted to see if what I feel translated into actual times.

To start I want to say this comparison is over a month and a half on an outdoor track so the conditions obviously change from race to race. I am not lucky enough to have access to a facility where I can run laps on a timing system for testing. Instead this is 3 different race days. What I can tell you is that I ran the same setup other than changing the rear camber from -2 to -3 on the 2nd race day and back to -2 on the 3rd ... otherwise all other settings stayed the same.

I have been using the c-diff for quite some time and prefer it for my conditions which are dry'ish, loose and rough so I may be a bit biased but hopefully this did not reflect in my driving.

My thoughts on the diffs that I have tried on my truck:

First came the stock slipper and it was junk in my opinion. I ended up getting some Garos after reading good about them and noticed a huge difference.

The VTS came out so got that. With HD pads it is okay. I am not one for controlling wheel spin with a slipper, rather I like to use throttle control. My main issue with this setup is that I am not able to get rid of the slipping no matter how tight I make the nut and due to glazing it only gets worse.

The VTS with Garos is good for me as I am able to tighten it to the point where it does not slip (or at least not that I notice). I found this very helpful last year when I was racing on pavement with the truck. A real bonus to the Garos is that they did not glaze which, if you want a slipper to slip, would lead to a very consistent feel.

The c-diff ... my favorite. I started with the v1 when it came out and really did like it on loose dirt. I got the v2 conversion when it was introduced and found the adjustability via pin count to be great for settling down the rear end on heavy acceleration out of the corners. I will warn anyone thinking about this unit that it does require some maintenance. I end up with dust inside my covers which cakes on the diff lube. My worry is that it will cause accelerated wear to the pins so I tend to clean and re-lube after each race day. It may not be needed but it is what I do.

So, you know my reasons for liking or not liking the various diffs that I have tried. Now for the numbers. I have covered the names of the innocent but left mine so you know which times are mine.

Any chance that anyone else has done this? If not I would be interested in seeing someone who has access to a timed facility for testing try this out. Perhaps WC or someone else with access to clay could try it as well. It would be interesting to see the results as I am sure they may change depending upon surfaces.

Not shooting for a sales pitch here, just hoping my thoughts as well as results may help someone if they are leaning one way or another.
Great report sounds to me this is a honest report on this mod and you are sharing good tech on a tech website and you actually have real results to prove it not just hearsay. Nice job.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only supporter on here for the slipper is that his WC
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by 9turn
The only supporter on here for the slipper is that his WC
Somebody's got to give those who visit the thread the best set-up help they can find for the Sc10 4x4 ..

I try to save what left in their wallets and go faster with out blowing cash on parts that won't help .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.