Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slugga
Not the same one, im talking about this one http://prolineracing.com/bodies/true...vt-clear-body/

I have already cut the wheel arches out some already to give it some more room, but its just a terrible fit.

It's not even long enough to fit both the rear/front bumper with out it bending, I have lifted up the front posts as high as possible.

I have a feeling this was designed with the slash in mind.
Did you get the extended body posts? Looks like that body is meant to ride tall like a lifted street truck, not a race body.
Edit:
You didn't get the body mounts because there are only mounts for sc10 2wd, not 4wd.
From PL's website:
*Note: This body requires extended body mounts for proper body fit*
See Fits tab for more details

Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kromulous
Small problem, need some opinions.

6.5 pound truck, heavy with 16mm BB shocks. Truck is really good, and getting better each week. On a big 1/8th scale track, i use Bowfighters or Enduro-2's usually. I recently bought a 4700 KV Hobbywing 4 pole, and it rips, love the torque. The Problem is, i am thermalling the motor in about 7 mins. I will admit i gouge on it, love the HP, plus the track is loose.

Dual shorties set up. I am geared 13/62 do you think thats over geared? I did notice the Enduro-2 tires were alot bigger than the Bowfighters, this may be where i am getting the xtra heat.

Also, i had to run with 1/8th Ebiggies, not enough 4x4's, anyway i can get within about .8 to 1 second a lap off Ebuggies better laps. How close generally are 4x4s compared to Ebuggies on a big outdoor track?

I may end up doing some dremel work and installing some fans on the motor side if all else fails, love that HP of the 4700 HB !

Thanks, Krom.
That doesn't sound bad at all in comparison to the buggy lap times.

Heck, the 4000Kv HW motor is a beast in my Tekno, felt as if I had more power than my 4300 Pro HD motor I had. I can't imagine how the 4700Kv one feels.

What are the settings you are using on your ESC and what brand?

Originally Posted by ClayRacer
Hi Guys, getting some hot temps on motors in my FT Sc104x4.. tried a 550 5.0t 13t pinion on to 62t spur motor was 60~70deg Celsius and batteries getting warm, and a 540 4pole 4800kv at 12t on to 62t spur 80~90deg Celsiu batts warm. Someone told me the 4 pole i had way "under geared" and suggested I go up to 14t to get the heat down.. (does not sound right to me, i'm afraid something is going to melt!) Are there any common things to check in the drive train that might be causing friction etc before I pull down the whole car?

2nd question, changing to soft springs (loose wet track) which would be the best sway bar to drop in front and rear?

Thanks!!
Where are you topping out down the longest straight?

In general it is possible to thermal a motor by being undergeared as well as overgeared. If you find you are at WOT or in general a higher throttle range most of the time around the track, changes are you could be undergeared.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
Did you get the extended body posts? Looks like that body is meant to ride tall like a lifted street truck, not a race body.
Edit:
You didn't get the body mounts because there are only mounts for sc10 2wd, not 4wd.
From PL's website:
*Note: This body requires extended body mounts for proper body fit*
See Fits tab for more details

if that is the same body it looks like im in trouble too cause i just ordered that one guess i better get the mounts then.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imrob
if that is the same body it looks like im in trouble too cause i just ordered that one guess i better get the mounts then.
It's been a while since I laid eyes on this truck (Ranger took it) but I don't think those mounts will work on this truck that's for the 2wd. Maybe ask pro line.

They do list the SC10 2wd and bodies that fit that truck fit this one so it is an easy assumption to make that it will work on the 4x. They do mention that it needs different posts and to check the figment guide but they really should put in bold text that it will not work on the 4x.
That sucks but at least you didn't burn through $20 in paint before you found out.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Tech Legend

WooWho!

Ran my PINK 2 packs today ....

Drove pretty good too ....LOL
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
It's been a while since I laid eyes on this truck (Ranger took it) but I don't think those mounts will work on this truck that's for the 2wd. Maybe ask pro line.

They do list the SC10 2wd and bodies that fit that truck fit this one so it is an easy assumption to make that it will work on the 4x. They do mention that it needs different posts and to check the figment guide but they really should put in bold text that it will not work on the 4x.
That sucks but at least you didn't burn through $20 in paint before you found out.

I haven't tried this, as I'm not a huge fan of the scale crawler look, but if you take a look at the optional body mounts a little closer, it really looks to me like the extended posts attach to the mounts the same way that the stock 4x4 body posts attach to the stock mounts.

The width in the rear might be a little off, but I think you should be able to use the extended posts with the stock mounts. You just might not be able to use the upper cross brace thing. It should be close, given that the stock width on the 2 trucks posts are the same.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

After seeing WC's quad VTS I decided to try it. I started with the original slipper (non-VTS) and it was totally unacceptable. I upgraded to a cDiff and it was huge improvement. But with the release of the VTS and now the quad mod I wanted to try it to compare to the cDiff. I am not worried about losing power because of slippage (truck is already over powered) but I wanted to see how adding the extra surface area/friction material would smooth out the diff action. Also I had all the parts laying around so I went for it. It went together pretty easily, but the tension nut was a concern. With the added thickness of the extra pad/spacer you have to run the nut at the very end of the shaft to get the right slippage and the locking material of the locknut is not engaged. I thought about using red Loctite, but every time you make an adjustment you would break the bond. So came up with this, I used a small 3mm locknut turned upside down, so the locking material gets threaded on first. To ensure I also get metal to metal (thread) engagement I countersunk the spring retainer washer that allows the nut to sit much lower giving me full engagement and plenty of adjustment range.

Countersunk spring retaining washer on the left.

Modded washer on the left lets the nut sit much lower.

Quad VTS installed, tension nut fully engaged with plenty of room for adjustment.

I tried two thin 3mm nuts but it compressed the spring too much and reduced the adjustment range.

One thing to watch for when going quad is to be sure the top plate fully engages all the slipper spacers.

Parts needed to go quad, one extra spacer and pad.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Legend

Looks awesome Shark ...

nice work on the lock nut too ...

Now tell these guys how great your truck performs with the Quad ....

Nothing can compare ...

Shaves about .2 to .3sec off any ones lap times .
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Legend

heck WC if thats the case when is AE coming out with a Quad equipped RC8?

Looking forward to hearing what you think Shark!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Looks awesome Shark ...

nice work on the lock nut too ...

Now tell these guys how great your truck performs with the Quad ....

Nothing can compare ...

Shaves about .2 to .3sec off any ones lap times .

WC, thx. I hope the quad works out, since I converted my Sc10 4x4 to a Lite version and got some wheel time with it I have been turning the fastest times ever at my local track. The only problem is I have not finished a race with the Lite because of technical problems.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
heck WC if thats the case when is AE coming out with a Quad equipped RC8?

Looking forward to hearing what you think Shark!
Cain, it took a while but AE did come out with the VTS (clutch basket), lol. Who knows maybe a real AE center diff is in the works? Right now I don't see how the quad VTS can out perform a cDiff but I need to see for myself.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 AM
Tech Legend

Unbeatable performance = Quad VTS

Have a Teammate , he ran the Quad & I ran the triple for a week .

When ever I drove my team mates it was a lot smoother then my triple ...

Proved to myself I was correct about and when I switched back my laps improved ...

Can be set much looser then the triple VST and yet out accelerates due to smoother power delivery...

When adjusted correctly ?
Can lock all 4 wheels & rotate the spur gear with little effort ....

Holds its tune many races .....

Summery
Quad VTS drivers hit the
throttle harder & enter turns much smoother ....(This is why its unbeatable )
Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Tech Rookie

So when are a new updated sc10 4x4 available.. since the 2wd just got an overhaul , the 4x4 should be up next time......
Old 08-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Shark413
Cain, it took a while but AE did come out with the VTS (clutch basket), lol. Who knows maybe a real AE center diff is in the works? Right now I don't see how the quad VTS can out perform a cDiff but I need to see for myself.
I think AE could really do wonders for the vehicle by releasing a center diff for it, as well as a few other changes. Still think its a great platform, but it needs tweaking. Sort of like the B4. AE refined that and its one heck of a vehicle still with everything else that came out.

I look forward to what you report as you give an honest comparison, I and others value that a lot!

Also, did you get my msg?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by sundance_kid76
So when are a new updated sc10 4x4 available.. since the 2wd just got an overhaul , the 4x4 should be up next time......
I heard something was coming a few months back but nothing has materialize.

Ae has been busy preparing for Nats & the Worlds.
Maybe when done they will begin to focus on the Sc4x4 ...

I'm just guessing here however.
Could hear something later this fall ...

Shark
If someone was actually beating Ae drivers & winning with a Sc10 equipped with a 3rd diff ?
Then maybe they would look into ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.