Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mizchief
whew, that was a lot of catching up. I'm not seeing much talk about the new 550 pro4's anyone running it in this truck?

I'm thinking about getting one and trying it out and potentially putting it in a Tekno down the line on big outdoors and running my old MMP and pro4 in this truck on tight indoor clay.

I've got the exotek center chassis and running saddles inline, think I should switch back to stick or put them up front with the bigger motor?
I agree with Dirtbike, Nothing about this Platform needs a 550 4pole or even really a 550. Belt drives Spin up so fast that the torque your getting out of a larger motor is just going to cause you driving issues.

Now that's not saying a 550 doesn't work great in the car. Only that it's unnecessary as far as power goes. Mine SKATED around on a Pro 4 4000kv for 2 years and was faster than shit. A good 4pole 540 or standard Tekin/reedy/lrp/orion 550 is the ticket all day long.

And FYI: A pro 4 4600 works FANTASTIC in my Tekno SCT. Fast, nimble and a 550 actually kinda hurts the car in my opinion. More weight is 100% not needed in that tank. =)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

I would loose the mamba max pro and hook up a rx8 or orion r10 pro 2-3s to get a little more power out of of the pro4 4000kv. Esc makes a difference, just like the batteries. Etc...
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
ARE you running it dry?

Its not going to feEl like clay because you are not on clay!! Its also not going to accelerate like you are on clay either. There may be nothing wrong with it at all maybe your just not used to how a dif'd car feels!

Please follow the instructionS carEfully, YOU MUST USE BALL DIFF GREASE AND ONLY BALL DIF GREASE!
Any tricks for getting it completely tight? Last time I was trying to get it back together, I put on a glove,jammed one finger between the spur and pinion and tried to hold the belt with another 2 fingers and it still looks like I can tighten the spring another 2 turns before it is completely collapsed, but it started to hurt my fingers too much!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi guys, been M.I.A. due to a blond texting while driving slamming into me while I was parked, just my luck. As a result I'm not going to race for a while so I have to part with my much loved SC10 4x4 and everything RC I own so I can pay my doctors bills. I hate to do it because I spent 3 months last year reading this thread from page 1 and have been interacting on this thread since then. I've contributed what answers I could from personal experience, and asked a lot more and received lots of help and friendship. So for those of you who took a minute to help me out with advice or tips. Thank You!!!!!
But I have to let go for a while but not forever. If anyone knows someone looking for a well maintained SC10 4x4 with all the upgrades or knows someone trying to get into RC and wants everything out of the box, please turn them my way.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post12355921
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AE SC10 4X4
Hi guys, been M.I.A. due to a blond texting while driving slamming into me while I was parked, just my luck.
Not fair...her insurance should be paying your bills....and if not, she should be. That's totally uncool...

Around here, every year they are getting more and more strict about cell phones and driving....by next year, just picking up your phone while in the car (to check the time or use the GPS function) will net you a huge fine, and if you cause bodily harm, I wouldn't be surprised to see jail time....

It's just as bad as a DUI....
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
Not fair...her insurance should be paying your bills....and if not, she should be. That's totally uncool...

Around here, every year they are getting more and more strict about cell phones and driving....by next year, just picking up your phone while in the car (to check the time or use the GPS function) will net you a huge fine, and if you cause bodily harm, I wouldn't be surprised to see jail time....

It's just as bad as a DUI....
She had no insurance
Taking her to court but thats a long road
I am alive and I'm grateful my back axle was in my back seat
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

get better bro. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Out here we have what is called a no fault clause that if the damage isn't above a certain amount, basically your insurance has to take care of it. Found out the hard way after a lady thought turning in front of me was good idea when I had the right away. Totalled my car that I just dropped $900 into to fix about a month prior, and my then girlfriend (now wife) hit the windshield. She actually had to sue MY insurance to cover her medical bills!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain
get better bro. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Out here we have what is called a no fault clause that if the damage isn't above a certain amount, basically your insurance has to take care of it. Found out the hard way after a lady thought turning in front of me was good idea when I had the right away. Totalled my car that I just dropped $900 into to fix about a month prior, and my then girlfriend (now wife) hit the windshield. She actually had to sue MY insurance to cover her medical bills!
Typical insurance they spend all their money on commercials and not on the people they owe it to
Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtbikekid33
Typical insurance they spend all their money on commercials and not on the people they owe it to
sorry to here that. i got hit in December of last year on the bike. I took some big damage to my body but im up and around. the insurance company did not want to pay crap. i had 37000 medical bills to pay and still paying just send them $10 dollar a month it will keep it out of the collection or at least it is for me. i have no idea when my case will be done or if i will get my money. i do hope for the best for you and myself. funny thing is i had to sue just to get allstate to talk to me now i dont want to talk to them or i cant per instruction form the lawyer.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys, I am over in Melbourne Australia (From seattle) and looking for a motor recommendation for my FT 4x4.

I have a Castle 1406 and it works good, doesn't get too hot but I would like to get a 550 to add some weight to the truck.

I just got the Exotek chassis and the Exotek locked front clutch as well..

Would a 550 really matter or should I stick to a 540 now that I have the heavier chassis?

Could someone with the Exotek gear post their setup sheet?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Tech Legend

even with the heavier exotek chassis, I liked the feel of the vehicle with a 540 sized motor versus a 550.

To me, the Sc10 4x4 is a bit more motor-match-to-track oriented than some other vehicles that offer more gearing range by default that I saw. So, for example if you run a large track, the Tekin 4600Kv Pro4 motor can be an excellent choice. For medium to small, the Tekin 4000Kv Pro4 motor works well too.

If you want a motor with a lot more torque for a cheap price, so far I have been really happy with my Hobbywing 4000Kv 4 Pole Motor in my Tekno. Powerwise, it feels a tad more powerful than the Pro4 HD 4300Kv motor I had, but my esc runs cooler than it did with the Pro4 HD motor. Its slightly smaller than the Pro4 HD 4300Kv motor. Didn't compare weight though but I am sure someone has.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello all!!

I just got back into RC and picked up a nice used SC10 4x4 off ebay for what IMO was a pretty good deal. Just wondering a few things about the car and the setup it came with. Now keep in mind besides a little oval Spec car racing 20 years ago my only other RC experience is back from the square box Futaba Steering Wheel remotes with the throttle lever on the side So all this new RC tech has given me a bit of a learning curve to get caught up on.

Car has the following parts, radio and accessories that were included.

Team Associated SC10 4x4
Team Associated Reedy 550-SL 3500kV 4-pole motor
Castle Creations Monster Max PRO ESC
Dynamite Speedpack 5200mah Lipo 7.4v 2s 50C
Gens Ace 5000mah LiPo 7.4v 2s 40C
Gens Ace 5000mah LiPo 7.4v 2s 40C
FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 2.4ghz 3ch system
EXTRA FlySky receiver
Pro-Line Holeshots
Savox 1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo
Hitec X1 AC Digital Multicharger (LiPo, NiMh, NiCd, PB)
LiPo balance board
Pigtail for batteries
ProTek RC LiPo storage bag
Cooling fan on ESC
Blue Aluminum motor heatsink
Update slipper clutch system
Carbon Fiber stiffener rod
Original manual
Dirt Bagz RC Transmitter bag
Newer Proline Lexan Body, painted red/white
Rubber retention straps for the body clips
Sway Bar kits
Racers Edge Glitch Buster
Fancy blue rotating car work stand

Got the above in very good shape for $350 delivered. Okay now for the questions.

What will I need to do maintenance? I am thinking shock fluids and diff fluids to start for having on hand. How often do you check your diff fluid levels and do you change out parts when you strip them down every time?

How long can I expect for run times from the batteries/motor above given normal fast and slower mixed running speeds? I don't want to go to far on the lipo bats and ruin them.

Is this a good motor for this setup?

Any other straight up got to have parts or maintenance items I need to get? I have a full acre front yard to run in and a track I might go check out for racing about 10 minutes away. Not ready for racing yet (don't want to go yet and get addicted!!) so just looking for everyday user info.

Thanks for any input I am sure I will have a lot of other questions coming.

Bo
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Shawn/ mizchief/ cableguy/ Cain,
I'm running the pro4hd/ rx8 and imo that combo works awesome in this truck, got rcshox center diff and haven't had a problem with it getting skatey and in air attitude adjustments are easily controlled, running 90% cl on esc 90% throttle on radio extremely happy with this combo
Bowman,
Got similar package deal on eBay (minus charger) for 215 delivered, better deal haha!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Legend

bowman: when you get it in, the main thing I woudl keep an eye on is any brownout issues you have assuming the ESC doesn't have an external BEC on it. The glitch buster mentioned though probably is doing the trick though for you. Savox servos and the MMP sometimes don't play nice together.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't know if this was covered, but I have been running a SC10 4x4 Lite which has been modified to be as light as possible. I got it down to 5lbs 6oz and I loved the way it handles now. But what I wanted to mention was I just added a Losi Hi Performance body which is almost 3oz lighter than the Proline body I was using, which puts me right at the ROAR minimum. The Losi body features a bunch of vents which reduces the parachute effect (which is magnified when you go lite) and the lighter weight lowers the CG. My buddies said it wouldn't fit on my SC10 4x4 and they are right if you run stock because the rear mounts end up in the vent cutouts. I got around this by turning the rear mounts around, body fits perfectly.

Losi Hi Performance body, originally designed for the Losi 22SCT, lots of vents.

Top circle shows the mounting holes with the mounts turned around (facing forward) the bottom circle shows where they would have been in the stock position.

Body mounts turned around so the body would fit.

I paid a few more bucks for the pre-cut body, which saves you a lot of work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.