Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

I know that the 8mm mod has been discussed 100+ times. However, when reviewing all of the information I am still confused as to what it actually does. Some say that it increases traction, while others say that it stops traction rolling. That sounds contradictory. I am hoping that someone with a firm grasp on what the mod actually accomplishes... please no flaming as I have read and searched this forum and many others. I have found so much information that contradicts that I am confused I am not looking for more rear traction, rather I am trying to stop traction rolling. I am running maifield's setup. I think may just go with stiffer rear sway bar.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Never mistake activity for achievement.
- John Wooden

If someone asks you for directions, and you point them in the wrong way, did you really help them?

- CLD
I try my best to help & be fun ....

All I seen you bring to this thread is more crap like your last post above ....
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by imbsbiaoy
I know that the 8mm mod has been discussed 100+ times. However, when reviewing all of the information I am still confused as to what it actually does. Some say that it increases traction, while others say that it stops traction rolling. That sounds contradictory. I am hoping that someone with a firm grasp on what the mod actually accomplishes... please no flaming as I have read and searched this forum and many others. I have found so much information that contradicts that I am confused I am not looking for more rear traction, rather I am trying to stop traction rolling. I am running maifield's setup. I think may just go with stiffer rear sway bar.

8mm rear hub mod makes for less traction & less body roll...
This is what BK told my team mates & me ...

Allows the truck to slide a little instead of tipping over in sharp corners or sweepers ....

tip: Also control traction rolling by using a lower ride height. ( 19mm <> 20mm)

Maybe try yellow front sway bar & blue rear ....
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Tons of conflicting info on that. Best I've heard was that it doesn't really change the roll center as much as it changes the bind in the geometry or upper link.

Like Cain said, best thing to do is try it yourself and see if it fits your style. You can research it for so long before having a definitive understanding that you may have another truck by then
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by fq06
Tons of conflicting info on that.
Bk created the Mod , so I don't there is really any conflicting info if you accept his word ......
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
8mm rear hub mod makes for less traction & less body roll...
This is what BK told my team mates & me ...

Allows the truck to slide a little instead of tipping over in sharp corners or sweepers ....

tip: Also control traction rolling by using a lower ride height. ( 19mm <> 20mm)

Maybe try yellow front sway bar & blue rear ....
Sweet, ty for the quick responses guys!

When you are measuring ride height, are you guys measuring from the flat portion of the chassis where the center section meets the front and rear or directly under the arms?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Bk created the Mod , so I don't there is really any conflicting info if you accept his word ......
Not an issue of accepting his word ...

I gues I am not sure why you don't accept the AE engineer (assuming that was what he was or at some level sufficient to state what effects the mod does) who when questioned about it seemed to differ in opinion than what you are stating.

So, in short, what should the poster do?

TRY THE MOD. And when you try it, make sure and note what conditions you were running on and what you experienced. Me, I tried it on loose conditions, I gained some traction. Raising the inner ball stud with the mod did basically the same as without it, it took away traction so the rear could drift. This is what I did (without the mod) earlier in the year on carpet when before, I was flipping the vehicle.

Worse case scenario, you are out about $10 to try the cheap version of the mod but at least you know if it works for you.

I am not looking for more rear traction, rather I am trying to stop traction rolling. I am running maifield's setup. I think may just go with stiffer rear sway bar.
For me, raising the inner ball stud height made the biggest difference in stopping traction rolling. This is on high traction carpet surface. I went to about 5mm on the rear on one track. 7mm on another as the traction was even greater. To get better drift on the front end I also went up on inner ball stud height their too, but the main determine factory to stop traction rolling was the rear ballstud height.

Last edited by Cain; 01-03-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Legend

Sweet, ty for the quick responses guys!

When you are measuring ride height, are you guys measuring from the flat portion of the chassis where the center section meets the front and rear or directly under the arms?

Yes
Measure ride height from the front & back flat sections of middle chassis plate.

Welcome to the thread .....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 05-15-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

I've used that setup with the exotek hubs and it did change the behavior of the car. our clay track back east changes quite a bit and i havent seen or experienced any traction rolling (yet). I personally like 2mm on the hub and 2mm on the ball stud. But I guess it's personal preference.

I did enjoy besting the throngs of losi scte's at the last race i attended. I've grown to now enjoy and understand my 4x4 sc10.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I try my best to help & be fun ....

All I seen you bring to this thread is more crap like your last post above ....

Tell me again how roll centers are like cardboard boxes. I love that one.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Your conclusion re: contradictry is correct. Further, you might find this post useful.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/10644834-post22094.html
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Craig, your antics will be missed in this thread
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fq06
Craig, your antics will be missed in this thread
Will be? My truck works fine. Everyone who's ever driven it says its the best SC104x4 they've ever drove. And that's no accident, I have spent a year and a half developing the setup.

Wish I could get this orchard planted so I could go back to racing it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Will be? My truck works fine. Everyone who's ever driven it says its the best SC104x4 they've ever drove. And that's no accident, I have spent a year and a half developing the setup.

Wish I could get this orchard planted so I could go back to racing it.

Maybe it was someone else, not you that said they had given and gotten all they want out of this thread and were going to unsubscribe. My bad if I confused you with someone else.

Was it you that started the puppy killer? That was my favorite
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Oh yeah...

Orchard? Where the hell is the valley of the dirt that you have space for an orchard?
Living in LA I barely have room for a fern (or the patience).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.