SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KewlToy
Thanks fq06!
Thanks STDday!
Your gonna like em. More pop off the face of jumps and just generally more stuck to the track.
I have had two stage pistons in my offroad rigs that I can get them for for about ten years.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Need your guys help, normally I would create another thread for this but there are alot of guys on here that are very knowledgeable so hopefully someone can help me out.........

Ever since I started using mylaps transponders I've been having very bad glitching issue's. I had it mounted right on top of the servo, even tried moving it on top of the drive belt area....... My electronics are tekin rx8/pro4 4600kv, futaba 4pl tx/rx, spektrum 6030 servo, and nanotech 5100 65c lipo's...... Even running it with a glitch buster......... Thinking it was my transponder I took it off and it was doing the same thing, I think I may be having some interference with my local tracks timing system, because throughout the whole day it was not turned on, and as soon as the owner turned it on I started having the glitching issue's with and without the transponder. Any idea's if I'm right or anything else it could be? Also would raising or lowering the current limiter on my rx8 have any affect, and I might even switch rx's and see if that does anything......... Thanks in advance
I was having the exact same problem with my Spektrum DX3r so I went to RCX this year with the intent of solving the problem. I spoke with a guy at the Spektrum/Horizon booth who told me they've never heard of this problem. I then went to the Futaba booth & that guy actually admitted to me that they've been hearing about this problem particularly in the So Cal area at tracks that have a lot of Futaba radios present. So I spoke to a few of the hobby shop booths that were there and picked their brains which left me to decide on either Airtronics or KO Propo. I ended up cracking for KO Propo's new EX-1. I never thought I would own a KO Propo but I haven't had one glitch/brown out with it yet.
Not saying that swapping RX's won't work for you but it didn't work for me with the system I was running.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one point missed on building the 2 stage piston shocks is to build with Zero , nada , zilch rebound,
Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by old&slow
one point missed on building the 2 stage piston shocks is to build with Zero , nada , zilch rebound,
Good point.
Kewltoy, you probably already know how to build a shock with no rebound, but to save you a search if you dont...
When you are putting the cap on the shocks, you want to fully compress the shaft up into the shock. Oil will bleed out of the bleed hole in the cap (facing up) as you tighten it down, hold the shaft all the way in as you get it to as tight as you want it.
When your done the shock shaft should not extend back out of the body, or a miniscule amout if any. You want all shocks to have the exact same amount of extension (best none, but 1mm ok) when your done.

Enjoy
Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
Good point.
Kewltoy, you probably already know how to build a shock with no rebound, but to save you a search if you dont...
When you are putting the cap on the shocks, you want to fully compress the shaft up into the shock. Oil will bleed out of the bleed hole in the cap (facing up) as you tighten it down, hold the shaft all the way in as you get it to as tight as you want it.
When your done the shock shaft should not extend back out of the body, or a miniscule amout if any. You want all shocks to have the exact same amount of extension (best none, but 1mm ok) when your done.

Enjoy
Well said
Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IRM616
Well said
Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks guys!
I hope you caught those posts on the washers being lined up and zero rebound before you finished your job
Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't have 4 scales either so I tied thin string to the underbody mounts. Found the balance point on the string front to rear.
Then added lead strips as needed on the left of the servo to balance it left to right with a stick pack.
I wouldn't be against the saddle setup at all, wish I would have done that before I picked up 4 stick packs.
thats my issue, i have stick packs and dont want to by more packs..
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

I hope you caught those posts on the washers being lined up and zero rebound before you finished your job
Yep, Thanks!

I had to run off and do a few things... interrupted.
Just getting back to shocks now.

No Diagram?
Just found this...http://www.rcshox.com/wp-content/upl...tructions1.pdf

I do see how the new washer could end up crooked.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Yep, Thanks!

I had to run off and do a few things... interrupted.
Just getting back to shocks now.

No Diagram?
Just found this...http://www.rcshox.com/wp-content/upl...tructions1.pdf

I do see how the new washer could end up crooked.
I'm usually pretty good at understanding how and why things work, but I'm not quite getting this RCshox 2-stage assembly.

The movable-loose (thick) valve, is closer to the end of the shaft, than the fixed (thin) one, and all the holes are in-line during compression.
Oh well, I'll see how it works on the track...
Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Just ran my truck for the first time yesterday. Not too bad, I have some tweaking to do to it but it's not to far from where I want to be.

I modified the outdrives front and back (mentioned some pages back) to allow for greater up travel without damaging the diffs and it worked out great. I only need one 2mm rubber spacer on my shock shafts in the rear right now and two 2mm spacers in the front. Here's a link to another thread showing what I'm talking about.

Another mod I did was to tame the steering down on this truck. Most cars use a lot more servo travel than SC10, most around 120 -140 on the radio's endpoints as opposed to 60-90 on the SC10. This means the servo is losing some mechanical resolution and makes the steering lock to lock very fast, too fast for me. To get more resolution I used a shorter arm. Here's a drawing showing what I mean.

My endpoints are now around 140 and my steering is definitely not as twitchy as some of the other SC10s I have driven with similar setups and electronics.

Here's some pics of my truck as it sits right now. It's currently underweight, 5.3 lbs or 84.8 oz. I'm not really liking the Sidewinder and 4600, I think it's too much for the ESC to handle, it lacks bottom end. It's all I had to throw in so I figured I give it a try. Because I have some room to play with weight, I'm going to instead put in my Castle 3800 SCT and a MMM. Should never have any problems with that.

And here's my current setup sheet, it's pretty accurate.

Feedback welcome!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'm usually pretty good at understanding how and why things work, but I'm not quite getting this RCshox 2-stage assembly.

The movable-loose (thick) valve, is closer to the end of the shaft, than the fixed (thin) one, and all the holes are in-line during compression.
Oh well, I'll see how it works on the track...
RCShox on thebigrc

This link might help you see how they go together. Some pictures towards the end.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Has anyone noticed, whether if having the rubber boots on the shocks, retains dirt and causes dirtier oil sooner?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

offtopic but if anyone needs a brand new unused mamba max pro I'm selling.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Has anyone noticed, whether if having the rubber boots on the shocks, retains dirt and causes dirtier oil sooner?
They don't keep it off and maybe it retains it, the one benefit from them is that it protects the shafts from getting pitted if you run at a track with rocks & gritty dirt getting thrown at them.

But they also take away from the performance of the shock.

I have had ti-ni shafts for about 6 months and they are fine without boots. Most of my driving is indoor but once a month I will make it to an outdoor track. Maybe because westcoast rc is such a clean track, maybe that will be different for you.
My guess is that shock shafts will get bent and need replacing before they would start showing any pitting.
Pitting will mess up the shock shaft o ring causing them to leak and perform poorly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.