Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

I agree to a point however. in the case of the limiters, how many of us by default check all of our vehicles suspension uptravel to know that it won't cause issues with the diffs or do we assume that a big name manufacturer like AE would at least by the Factory Team kit put info in the manual addressing this? At some point, we have to trust that the car we purchased from a race level manufacturer is not a pile.

I don't have a problem with race mods, etc. not being in the manual, but things that go towards durability that are a known issue should be addressed, especially when you get to the factory team release.

(bear in mind, I am going off what others have said that its not mentioned in the manual)

As for running changes ... I like the fact that stuff is being constantly improved. What I don't like is that there is no way to make sure you get the "good one" if you don't have a LHS that stocks the part if they keep the same stock number.

All in all though, at least AE is addressing the issue. We worked for some time with Academy to address brittle cvds and diffs in the SBV1 back in the day with no solution in site.
I can't believe I am posting on this topic yet again, but I cannot help myself. I basically agree with the partial post quoted above. When it comes to something, for example, like the travel limiters, this is not about making the truck faster, this is about keeping the truck from breaking.

As far as it not being mentioned in the manual, in truth, I understand that, too. AE prints a bunch and in the meantime, issues arise and are dealt with. I think AE should have a concise, organized, and updated link on their website for issues related to particular products. It is difficult for a newcomer to digest a giant, unorganized, sometimes outdated thread.

As far as AE addressing the issue, I don't see how you get that, other than the word of mouth here that if you call them, they send new shims with new instructions on how to build the diff. and they are sending out new kits which may or may not be the one you pick up when you buy from your LHS in the near future.

If I condensed this wall of text, together with the other wall of texts I have posted on this issue to one or two sentences and address it to AE, it would be something along the lines of:

I know innovative, high-performance products like the SC10 4x4 experience some growing pains. When these issues arise and are dealt with, I wish AE would make them public so we can all make the improvements and continue driving a solid truck.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Do you price beat your competitors? Reason being, I can find the kits for $299 shipped.

I agree to a point however. in the case of the limiters, how many of us by default check all of our vehicles suspension uptravel to know that it won't cause issues with the diffs or do we assume that a big name manufacturer like AE would at least by the Factory Team kit put info in the manual addressing this? At some point, we have to trust that the car we purchased from a race level manufacturer is not a pile.

I don't have a problem with race mods, etc. not being in the manual, but things that go towards durability that are a known issue should be addressed, especially when you get to the factory team release.

(bear in mind, I am going off what others have said that its not mentioned in the manual)

As for running changes ... I like the fact that stuff is being constantly improved. What I don't like is that there is no way to make sure you get the "good one" if you don't have a LHS that stocks the part if they keep the same stock number.

All in all though, at least AE is addressing the issue. We worked for some time with Academy to address brittle cvds and diffs in the SBV1 back in the day with no solution in site.
You're right, it's not something most would pick up on. That said, once you notice an issue, it should warrant investigation.

I've played with droop on my Cougar pretty extensively, and run into similar issues before.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjhoward78
Thanks to all who have put countless hours into this truck. I appreciate ur dedication. Due to lack of factory support I have purchased a Losi scte and what a better platform. Asc lack of consideration for the consumer has caused me to after 12+ yrs of running asc only products to switch to Losi. Bummer. Thank u guys for the extended effort to help this truck.
I had one for a while and experienced too many teething issues on it to keep it.
TA should have known better than to release a kit with so many issues, the original slipper and lack of brace is inexcusable.
How did that make it past pre production testing I wonder? The diff issues, etc?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Losi has its problems too, the grass isn't greener on the other side.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
I think the manufacturers of pro-level kits expect for the user to have some common knowledge of the things being discussed here that have been left out of manual. If you are wanting everthing spelled out for ya, go buy a Traxxas or something. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but it seems these kits are geared torwards people who have built kits in the past and know what to look for when assembling them. I have always used the manual as a source of information but never completely followed it as if setup sheets are looked at, hardly anything remains in "manual" form. They are usefull for part numbers and exploded views and that's about it for myself.
VERY well said

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
Losi has its problems too, the grass isn't greener on the other side.
I will take a clicking dif and flexible chassis any day over replacing outdrives every weekend and bending a chassis every month. the SC10 is a workhorse, its the only vehicle in my stable that i dont have to worry about something breaking or getting a DNF.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've been playing with gearing, slipper settings and belt tension to bring temps down on my FT with the Pro4 4600.

Now that the slipper doesn't scream "wheeeeeeee" all the way down the straight, this thing moves pretty good. Now I can actually start working on the setup. First thing to change is the rear hub mod. It likes to step out at the end of the straight, but if you ease of the throttle, it'll correct itself.

I want more rotation too, so I'm going to drop the rear diff from 7k to 5k, 3k may be a little too much.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MadRussian
I had one for a while and experienced too many teething issues on it to keep it.
TA should have known better than to release a kit with so many issues, the original slipper and lack of brace is inexcusable.
How did that make it past pre production testing I wonder? The diff issues, etc?

Its still been less than a year from its release date , new brace , new VTS slipper ect already done.

Lots of more changes coming , so are you going to complain why those improvements were not made available before Ae introduce the kit ?

If you ask me ?
Sc10 4x4 has been a unexpected success , and even when first released has been one of the better 4x4 you can buy .
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

5K Rear definitely seems to be the most common thats for sure.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
I think the manufacturers of pro-level kits expect for the user to have some common knowledge of the things being discussed here that have been left out of manual. If you are wanting everthing spelled out for ya, go buy a Traxxas or something. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but it seems these kits are geared torwards people who have built kits in the past and know what to look for when assembling them. I have always used the manual as a source of information but never completely followed it as if setup sheets are looked at, hardly anything remains in "manual" form. They are usefull for part numbers and exploded views and that's about it for myself.
Not to beat a dead horse but, no feathers ruffled...
I have built a couple kits in the past decade, so I'm not new at this but not one had a suspension design with a combination of shock up travel and outdrive machining that self destructs the diff.
This had to be noticed through testing assuming they tested for more than a month which is about when most of ours ate themselves. Thats with us driving a couple times a week, not daily.
A note about it in the 1st run of manuals is not asking for too much. Maybe better, machine the outdrive so that the cvd can't contact it without clips limiting travel... rubber bumper stays. Make a deeper recess in the a arm so that does not come into contact with the outdrive (like rpm figured out).

Anyway, it was a slight inconvenience, I spent $20 or whatever on new gears and diff housing and I'm now limited in travel so no issues since my fix.
My preference would be to not have to limit the travel past the rubber bumper on the shaft so I will be modding my outdrives like AE should have in the first place so I can get my travel back.

Not hateing on AE, love the truck.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So i raised my rear inner ball stud 6mm to start for testing but curious about doing it to the outer hub.

The inner is raised so now

What do i lose or gain by raising the outer hub?
Other than the turnbuckle being higher.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

I believe RC8, SC8, AND RC8T all experienced similar concerns and droop setting on rear of the 2wd has been an issue in some setups as well. This is not a new isssue we are talking about here. Maybe new to some, but none the less.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bone$
So i raised my rear inner ball stud 6mm to start for testing but curious about doing it to the outer hub.

You will gain not having erratic camber changes in rear on suspension compression and rebound. You are looking for the link to be somewhat parallel to the lower arm instead of angling up and away at inner hinge pin in relation to lower arm.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is this what people are getting when I read about the Rear Camber mod

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-C-Tower-Set-2
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Snafujg
Is this what people are getting when I read about the Rear Camber mod

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-C-Tower-Set-2
That's the one. I look for AE to have an option hub sooner than later.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bone$

You gain cool points with Wild Cherry LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.