Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think they are sending out shims to all those who call in about the issue. I am assuming though that you don't need new gears
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drolmaeye
I'm def not trying to cause a problem here, but I have been through the online versions of the kit and FT manuals and cannot find a single word about limiters, checking uptravel, or related things, such as running without the boots. I can double-check my print version when I get home.

Someone with experience will probably know to double-check these things, but in any case, if there is a known problem, associated should at least have something about it on their website, and at best, provide replacement parts for people affected despite following carefully the published build instructions. Note that a FT driver including limiters in his setup is not sufficient notification, as it does not explain the possible problem with not using them.

Disclaimer: That's how I see these types of things, anyway. I certainly do not necessarily expect people to agree.
Oh nooo you used the M word..what ever you do.. DO NOT refer to that pesky "thing" on this thread again....
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I have about 60 minutes of practice time on the track and I can already see a wear mark on the bones, and it may have already affected the front diff. I possibly have clicking and pulling to the left when I hit the brakes hard, need to double check on flat road to check for sure.

In any case, I will put at least 4mm of limiters on, maybe more (I currently have the boots on). I am not too excited about having to rebuild the diff because of this, but I can see from this thread that others have suffered far more to get us to the current point with this truck.

As far as this needing its own thread, I think what this needs is a product recall. If, out of the box, the uptravel causes problems in the tranny case, AE should notify its customers and provide a fix. R/C is one of the few consumer products where product flaws are accepted, even viewed as a challenge to be overcome by the community. In any case, thanks to the more experienced community for working these things out.

The fix is in the box!! the kit comes with spacers for this reason. IF you dont run the limiters you will bend dogbones and wear out the dif. If the shock towers were any different it would effect droop and the handling of the truck in a bad way, there really is no other way around it.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I think they are sending out shims to all those who call in about the issue. I am assuming though that you don't need new gears
I just got off the phone with them too. They are sending me some as well. No questions asked. Good for you AE! Recognizing the issue and fixing it free of charge. Goes to show they do pay attention to these threads and work to correct the issues we point out.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I sent them an email and they are sending me some too!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Legend

did they say (or did anyone ask) what is different about the shims exactly?

I haven't looked at the manual recently, but am I correct in assuming that the FT manual states how many limiters to put on, correct?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
Oh nooo you used the M word..what ever you do.. DO NOT refer to that pesky "thing" on this thread again....
For what it's worth, while skimming through the manual, looking for AE's guidance on using the included limiters, I came across a bit about the initial ride height being 27mm.

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
The fix is in the box!! the kit comes with spacers for this reason. IF you dont run the limiters you will bend dogbones and wear out the dif. If the shock towers were any different it would effect droop and the handling of the truck in a bad way, there really is no other way around it.
Yes! This is great! I am not saying I don't want to run limiters, and I am definitely not suggesting any design changes to the shocks towers. The only thing I am saying is that for a rookie like myself, I need to be told to put the limiters on, or at least warned what may happen if I don't. And I should not have to participate in a thread on a forum to have this knowledge. It should be in the manual or on their site in a "notices" or "updates" type section.

All of this being said, I am happy to learn the hard way some things, and in this case that's how I see it. No worries, I will make the required fix, rebuild my diffs. if necessary, be grateful that others with more experience have invested the time to be able to tell me flat-out what the fix is, and continue to think that if AE knows of an issue, they find a reasonable way to publicize it for all.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

they are sending me shims for my diff also.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by mrplease
i'm not really getting what your saying... your talking about the little white pieces need to go under the little black rubber washer at the bottom of the shocks correct? also you say i need new shims under the sun gear?@?@|!? what size are the shims? where do they go again? and where do i get them? is there a picture tutorial on this anywhere?

use any kind of spacer you like for the 8mm external limiters on the shocks...

down load a set of instructions for your Sc 10 on www.rc10.com
Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well I found the source of my glitching problem. Took the RX out to have the antenna fall off the PCB "Well there's your problem" in authentic Adam Savage voice.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am assuming they are taking the proactive measure of sending out shims before people start suggesting they should be sending out entire diff. rebuild kits. In truth, the clicking could initially be due only to a bent shim, and not any significant gear wear. Caught quickly enough, maybe the gears are fine. I am sure others will report back, particularly if the gears are not fine.

. . . I haven't looked at the manual recently, but am I correct in assuming that the FT manual states how many limiters to put on, correct?
You may be correct, but I wasn't able to find it. If someone else does, please let me know. I think I should now take a break from spamming this thread on one issue.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Cain;10765113]did they say (or did anyone ask) what is different about the shims exactly?

I haven't looked at the manual recently, but am I correct in assuming that the FT manual states how many limiters to put on, correct?

No shit, no mention of limiters in the old kit manual or the FT kit manual online.

I know it was in my manual that I got with my kit back in October, I'll check when I get home to satisfy my curiosity.

Sorry about the M word again.[\QUOTE]

I remembered to knock the dust off my manual and look to see if the limiting clips were mentioned... nothing!
Even worse, the stock setup sheet that's in the manual has zero for the amount of limiters.
Bad on AE.

Last edited by fq06; 05-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I am assuming they are taking the proactive measure of sending out shims before people start suggesting they should be sending out entire diff. rebuild kits. In truth, the clicking could initially be due only to a bent shim, and not any significant gear wear. Caught quickly enough, maybe the gears are fine. I am sure others will report back, particularly if the gears are not fine.
I think that once your are hearing clicking, the gears are done.

Kewltoy replaced his even though they looked ok, but when he compared them to the new replacements, he noticed that the old gears teeth were a little rounded and not as sharp as the new gears.

I didn't even compare them, I just replaced.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

For what it's worth, while skimming through the manual, looking for AE's guidance on using the included limiters, I came across a bit about the initial ride height being 27mm.

Yes! This is great! I am not saying I don't want to run limiters, and I am definitely not suggesting any design changes to the shocks towers. The only thing I am saying is that for a rookie like myself, I need to be told to put the limiters on, or at least warned what may happen if I don't. And I should not have to participate in a thread on a forum to have this knowledge. It should be in the manual or on their site in a "notices" or "updates" type section.

All of this being said, I am happy to learn the hard way some things, and in this case that's how I see it. No worries, I will make the required fix, rebuild my diffs. if necessary, be grateful that others with more experience have invested the time to be able to tell me flat-out what the fix is, and continue to think that if AE knows of an issue, they find a reasonable way to publicize it for all.
Good point, i think AE along with every other company assumes everyone is on the internet forums. Hard to imagine RC life without this forum!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Good point, i think AE along with every other company assumes everyone is on the internet forums. Hard to imagine RC life without this forum!
LOL. So I take it we'll see a small printout of instructions with the next batch of RC Shox Center Diffs?

Just ribbin ya!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.