Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
haha yes n no.

i'm stuck on the servo saver, cannot get that nut on. i'm kinda using ghetto tools so its probably making it harder than it needs to be.
I highly recommend an electric screw driver with the 2.5mm, that should keep your for arms from from getting sore.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Servo saver is a bitch. Push down HARD while turning.

I'm not touching a thing on my setup for now. It still drives better than I do. Stick with a proven setup and get as much practice as possible!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Anyone have a line on an X-12L 4.5 in stock somewhere. All the typical places are out of stock.

Same thing with Gridirons..
Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Batfish
Originally Posted by Batfish
During the main, the screw backed out of the front left shock, the shaft popped out and busted off the bottom cap of the cartridge. It's part of the 91054 list and I don't see anywhere I can actually get that part for a few weeks...all on back/pre order until the end of May.

I didn't find the cartridge in stock anywhere yet, unfortunately.
I have, however, rebuilt the shocks removing the lower x-ring of the cartridge on all 4 shocks. While doing this I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the bottom cap of the cartridge is only there to hold the bottom x-ring in place, so I've just re-assembled the 'broken' one and there seems to be no leakage. It's still not very smooth so I'll be replacing the cartridge when they are available, but at least it'll let me run the local 'big race' that starts tomorrow.
South Carolina Short Course Challenge at Hobby Connection/Carolina RC Complex in Easley SC.
http://carolinarc.com/Forms/new%20race%20flier.pdf

I don't know how many people will be there for this one, but I'll try to give the SC10 4x4 a good showing
Hmmm, after I put mine back together, (before I realized I was missing that bottom cap) I lost all the shock oil and had to run the main with spring only. Anyhow, nobody has the parts yet, any suggestions for other shocks? I think I saw someone mention some Losi 1/8th scale shocks, but can't find that post. Looking for something comparable or better since I can't get parts for the stock ones.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreenSC10
I highly recommend an electric screw driver with the 2.5mm, that should keep your for arms from from getting sore.
how much is one of those things? Im kinda budget limited. So my right forearm will be getting a major pump.

getting that nut is a giant bizzitch. I still havent got it on. Had to go downtown to pick up my buddy who was stranded.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

how much is one of those things? Im kinda budget limited. So my right forearm will be getting a major pump.

getting that nut is a giant bizzitch. I still havent got it on. Had to go downtown to pick up my buddy who was stranded.
All you have to do is line up the servo saver post with the servo saver bottom(the indent for the bottom nut end). bring it out to the garage , put the bottom post end to the concrete, and push dowm hard on the servo saver bottom, or top if that is on. Once the post is all the way inserted into the bottom piece, its a piece of cake.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrbirchum
Hmmm, after I put mine back together, (before I realized I was missing that bottom cap) I lost all the shock oil and had to run the main with spring only. Anyhow, nobody has the parts yet, any suggestions for other shocks? I think I saw someone mention some Losi 1/8th scale shocks, but can't find that post. Looking for something comparable or better since I can't get parts for the stock ones.
I am also wondering the same thing, I dont care to much for the stock shocks.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

My truck free rolls smoothly but when i am on throttle and hit the breaks hard it makes a chirpy grindy noise...My buddy said he had that same sound in his jammin...If i slam the breaks after throttle it makes this horrid chirp??Anybody??
I clipped a corner at rolling speed and seem to have broken either the servo or servo horn...I was literaly rollin slow ..I think the servo saver is so tight with that kit spring that it doesn't really have any servo saving give??I think someone else brought that up earliar a few pages back..
So now that I have to dig the servo assembly out to see what has to be replaced or hopefully just a silly fix...Any ideas on what my problem is??The servo makes a screeching noise when turned with some minor respose to the wheels??I did not loctite the servo nut..Could that be the culprit??Or is it bc, the servo saver does not behave like a servo saver??Should I put grease as recommended b/f on the servo savers 2 halves??
How do I take out the servo assembly most efficiently??I think it was mentioned b/f??Sorry just dont know what page it was posted way back...Will check to see if its in the first page...If not, it may be a valuable guide to changing servos quickly, for peeps to look up in the first page??..Any feedback please??

Last edited by MarqueeRc; 05-26-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Anyone done any foolin' with the "U" and "O" pulleys?

I made a mistake while building, I installed the "U" pulley in the rear. I've been driving the truck this way. I've practiced a couple of nights and raced one night. The truck is awesome, wonder if it'll be better w/ the stock 20 pulley on the rear?

The manual states that the the smaller pulley in the rear slows the rotation of the front tires. The manual only says that this will help stabliize the truck in certain conditions.

Anyone know of a better explanation than the manual gives? If anything I think speeding up the fronts would be the way to go.

What should I expect w/ the stock setup 20f/20r? Compared to what I did, 20f/19r?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MarqueeRc
My truck free rolls smoothly but when i am on throttle and hit the breaks hard it makes a chirpy grindy noise...My buddy said he had that same sound in his jammin...If i slam the breaks after throttle it makes this horrid chirp??Anybody??
I clipped a corner at rolling speed and seem to have broken either the servo or servo horn...I was literaly rollin slow ..I think the servo saver is so tight with that kit spring that it doesn't really have any servo saving give??I think someone else brought that up earliar a few pages back..
So now that I have to dig the servo assembly out to see what has to be replaced or hopefully just a silly fix...Any ideas on what my problem is??The servo makes a skreeching noise when turned with some minor respose to the wheels??I don't think i loctited the servo nut..Could that be the culprit??Or the servo saver does not behave like a servo saver??Should I put grease as recommended b/f on the servo savers 2 halves??
How do I take out the servo assembly most efficiently??I think it was mentioned b/f??Sorry just dont know what page it was posted way back...Will check to see if its in the first page...If not, it may be a valuable guide to changing servos quickly, for peeps to look up in the first page??..Any feedback please??
That noise you hear when going to full brake is probably the belt skipping a little, which is normal. And the sound with the steering probably is the servo trying to stay centered when you turn the wheel by hand. All sounds normal to me.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by symmetricon
All you have to do is line up the servo saver post with the servo saver bottom(the indent for the bottom nut end). bring it out to the garage , put the bottom post end to the concrete, and push dowm hard on the servo saver bottom, or top if that is on. Once the post is all the way inserted into the bottom piece, its a piece of cake.
I finally got it. Front end is done.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can get a lithium black and decker at Lowes for $29 and the bit at your local hobby store for $5. Money well spent for the initial build and if you need to do any thing with it when your racing. It speeds up your tear down and build back up. Especially if you need to do any differential work during a race event. To pull both diffs and rebuild it should take an hour or so. With out the tool tac on another tweenty.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bburns
That noise you hear when going to full brake is probably the belt skipping a little, which is normal. And the sound with the steering probably is the servo trying to stay centered when you turn the wheel by hand. All sounds normal to me.
Maybe you misunderstood but my servo is not working...It cant turn the wheels and makes that noise when i try too??
When you give throttle is it quiet like a sc 10 2wd or does it have some upmh to it??Maybe your right about when i break and that it is the belt slipping, it's just I have not heard it from others in vids..
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Looks like I have to stop for now, my diffs have no lube in them.

so I'm gonna go with 10k for front and 3 k for rear.

I'm running on a clay semi loamy surface, what do you guys think?

I'm gonna pick up diff lube tomm.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MarqueeRc
Maybe you misunderstood but my servo is not working...It cant turn the wheels and makes that noise when i try too??
When you give throttle is it quiet like a sc 10 2wd or does it have some upmh to it??Maybe your right about when i break and that it is the belt slipping, it's just I have not heard it from others in vids..
Ok sorry, as for the servo, it could be a stripped servo horn, but more likely a bad servo. What servo are you using? It's pretty easy to take out the servo. Remove the front belt cover and clicker assembly. Remove the back of the belt cover on the front. Then take the top screw out where the little inner body mount is. Then pull the 4 or so screw out of the top plate. The top plate will come off with the servo. Takes me about 5 mins to take a servo out. As for the hard braking sound. I'm bettin it's the belt. Ive heard it with mine to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.