Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think this was mentioned before but I can't seem to find it, I am currently building my new ft kit and my rear gear diff locks up when I tighten the screws all the way dwn. I've tried washers and ive tried back the screws out a little bit. Backing the screws out. This seemed to help a bit but when I bolt the rear shock tower to the diff case, it binds again. Any suggestions ? I am using the screw lengths according to the manual. Thanx.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

What is the difference with the ft front shock tower? I noticed the upgrade kit comes with a shock tower. thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Msc111
I think this was mentioned before but I can't seem to find it, I am currently building my new ft kit and my rear gear diff locks up when I tighten the screws all the way dwn. I've tried washers and ive tried back the screws out a little bit. Backing the screws out. This seemed to help a bit but when I bolt the rear shock tower to the diff case, it binds again. Any suggestions ? I am using the screw lengths according to the manual. Thanx.
My diff case was a little warped where it went together with shock tower and tried binding up but I just kept, Screwing with it and it finally popped together and was smooth. So not sure if there a special trick
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Thanx for your reply. I stopped messing with it for the night because I got frustrated. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, hopefully I can figure it out.

Originally Posted by Mxer59
My diff case was a little warped where it went together with shock tower and tried binding up but I just kept, Screwing with it and it finally popped together and was smooth. So not sure if there a special trick
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Default FT 4X4 Wrong Diff Case

When building my new FT 4X4 SC10 I discovered both deep diff gears were the wrong parts. The deep diff gears were in the bag with the rest of the parts. The problem was the seat for the large O ring on the inside of the diff case was too small. I did not notice the issue when building the diffs up the first time, but once installed there was a lot of binding and they did not feel right. I pulled them back out and opened them up. That is when I saw the very outside edge of the O ring sticking outside of the washer. In the pics I was able to turn the outdrive to give a worst case scenario for the pic. I also show the wrong diff on the left and the correct one on the right. I must say AE support is great. I called them and they sent out the new diff cases right away. I got them 2 days after I placed the call. Once I had the new parts, I took the pic showing the correct and incorrect parts before I sent them back to AE. I'm posting this in case there are other wrong diff cases in some kits.
Bah, since I'm new, I don't have enough posts to show pics.
Anyway, if you are having diff issues, this is something to look at.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im in the middle of the build and i had a similar issue. what i noticed after i put the shock tower on and got all buttoned up the diff locked up.. then i noticed that i put the camber ball studs on the inner hold after i had put the tower on solid, and wrenched down on the ball studs. thus moving the angle of the tower with the top leaning back. when i removed the tower and put the ball studs on the outer hole and bolted the tower back on the diff didnt lock up. not sure if that is what you did but thought i would share it just incase
Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tschenck
What is the difference with the ft front shock tower? I noticed the upgrade kit comes with a shock tower. thanks

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/91174/

Includes all the parts below:

Belt Cover
Rear Shock Tower
Optional Steering Rack
4x4 Chassis Brace Conversion
4x4 Saddle Pack Battery Strap
VTS Slipper Conversion
4x4 Saddle Pack Cradle

there is a post some where in the past that talks about the rear tower beefed up to deal with the chassis brace
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=Eradicator;10569737] That is when I saw the very outside edge of the O ring sticking outside of the washer.

So you could see the o-ring sticking outside the washer that's under the sun gear while the outdrive was still installed? That washer is like twice the size of the o-ring. I'm just trying to picture this as I've had mine apart a couple of times trying to make them a bit smoother. The last time I opened them I didn't take off the outdrives and didn't see anything out of the ordinary...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mizchief
Would the FT saddle mount fit in the exotek?
Scanning the FT upgrade kit instructions mentions required chassis holes for the saddle mounts. Do the existing Exotek LCG chassis holes happen to line up with new FT saddle?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

No they don't, I had to drill some new holes on my exotek chassis. I believe the one coming out is gonna have the holes predrilled.

Originally Posted by marksp
Scanning the FT upgrade kit instructions mentions required chassis holes for the saddle mounts. Do the existing Exotek LCG chassis holes happen to line up with new FT saddle?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marksp

Thanks
Exotek has a version 2 now that will accept the ft saddle mounts.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone else have the problem that the team kit (not FT) shocks are constantly leaking from the bottom? I rebuilt them lots of times, replaced the seals with the trackstar o-rings, used lots of green slime, etc.. this truck has been on the track only for two days, so it's not any kind of wear, and the leaking happened even before it was driven at all. Also, I could be mistaken, but it looks almost like they leak from around the black bottom cap, not out of the shaft holes.. but it might just spread around and appear that way. They even leak slightly when sitting on my car stand with the wheels off the ground.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

No they don't, I had to drill some new holes on my exotek chassis. I believe the one coming out is gonna have the holes predrilled.
Crap! Was afraid that this was the case!

I'm far from being a machinist, so the thought of drilling perfectly aligned, counter sunk screw holes into a brand new $100 aluminum chassis causes anxiety! Yikes!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arakon
Anyone else have the problem that the team kit (not FT) shocks are constantly leaking from the bottom? I rebuilt them lots of times, replaced the seals with the trackstar o-rings, used lots of green slime, etc.. this truck has been on the track only for two days, so it's not any kind of wear, and the leaking happened even before it was driven at all. Also, I could be mistaken, but it looks almost like they leak from around the black bottom cap, not out of the shaft holes.. but it might just spread around and appear that way. They even leak slightly when sitting on my car stand with the wheels off the ground.
Try using the stock seal on the bottom and the trackstar o-ring on the top. Thats how I build mine.
You may have stripped or cross threaded the cartridge also, just something to check.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

getteing my up grade kit to day in the mail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.