Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Maybe its just the pix but has anyone noticed a different chassis material? it looks more "marbled" than the normal stuff.
Mine looked like that out of the box last may. A really funny marble glaze. The Brand new trucks look like that and lose it in the first covering of junk. Least I think so. I know mine in the first batch of original 4x4's looked like that though.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdutcher
I just finished with my FT build this morning. I installed the electronics in it and took it out for a test run on the driveway. After about 30-60 secs, i noticed a slight hesitation and glitch, but it kept going. I wasn't doing anything too hard with it, then all of a sudden it stopped and smoke came billowing out from under the body. CRAP! I thought that I just ruined my new FT truck.

I quickly see that the ESC is toast, melted, and close to being on fire. I quickly pull the wires out of my saddles. Now I am trying to understand what could have occurred.

Here are the electronics that I was using:

ESC: Novak Havoc SC with X-Drive - It was a NEW warranty replacement from Novak - However, I saw that the Havoc Pro SC sticker on it was covering a Kinetic sticker (not sure if that has anything to do with it - Kinetic ESC badged as a Havoc Pro SC.

Motor: Tekin Pro 4

Battery: Reedy Saddle Pack

I installed the ESC wires correctly. A to A, B to B, and C to C. Sensor wire. And the battery connectors.

Looking at the ESC, it melted the battery leads clean off.

I wanted to check the Reedy pack to see that no damage was done and I through them into another car and they powered it just fine. At least, I did not fry a lipo in all of this. I also hope that I did not hurt the Tekin Pro 4.

At any rate, has anyone ever had such a problem? What could have caused my ESC to melt/burn/fry??? I am at a loss here.
There was alot of talk about the Havoc Pro SC X-drive running the Pro4 motors here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...c-x-drive.html. Basically the new Havoc Pro Sc esc with X-drive AND an updated brainboard can run the Pro4 motors. The older version of this esc will be toast. Also the X-drive esc with the updated brainboard can only be bought from Novak directly. As far as your esc having a Kinect sticker underneath I believe Novak just reuses cases for remans and it's what's inside that counts. I would check with Novak on what exactly you have. Incidentally I am planning on doing an exchange of my old Havoc Pro SC esc for the new version but haven't had the time to drive down to Novak. Till then my Castle MMP is working fine.

Last edited by jamr1130; 04-02-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: can't spell...spellchecked.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Legend

In order to use a new plastic or material , Ae will have to make new molds for that material ....

So you won't be seeing any changes in the plastic anytime soon...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default so what is a step forward then??

Originally Posted by Oasis
Funny I thought the same about your shock pistons..the step backwards..
I am curious to hear what would be a step forward if the 2 stages are a step backwards.

I an using the rc shox 2 stages on my truck and buggies and they made a pretty big difference on my lighter sc 10 4x.
Have you even tried them?

What are your thoughts as to why they are a step in the wrong direction

Old&slow
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

got my slipper set to day on the road it slipps for 2 3 feet.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by CoyoteSlash
Mine looked like that out of the box last may. A really funny marble glaze. The Brand new trucks look like that and lose it in the first covering of junk. Least I think so. I know mine in the first batch of original 4x4's looked like that though.
Ok, i thoug maybe they went to a stiffer material which would have been nice!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
CEW
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What shims are you guys using to shim the differentials? I searched through some prior posts and it sounds like some were using shims (from the differential rebuild kit) and doubling them up on at least one side. Is there a part number to just order the shim without ordering an entire differential rebuild kit? Or, some other washer that people have found works well?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm currently awaiting some shims from Tony's Screws that are .1mm thick that I am gonna try. Also waiting on some bearings for the inner rear hub position as my kit had a defective one to finish my build. This bitch is gonna be right before it sees dirt or a LOSI.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I picked up a pack of 5x10 shims that are .2mm thick (stock are .1 I think...) and they don't deform or wear as quick as two separate shims.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My stock shims measured right at .2mm
Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default 2 stage pistons

Originally Posted by Oasis
Funny I thought the same about your shock pistons..the step backwards..
Originally Posted by old&slow
I am curious to hear what would be a step forward if the 2 stages are a step backwards.

I an using the rc shox 2 stages on my truck and buggies and they made a pretty big difference on my lighter sc 10 4x.
Have you even tried them?

What are your thoughts as to why they are a step in the wrong direction

Old&slow
I will step up and say I have tested them. Two complete shock sets to swap back and forth, running on an open track, on the clock, and even on a fairly smooth track. Everything identical except pistons and oil and the stage 2 pistons I turned several laps (in a row) .2 seconds faster than my best time with the stand 1.2 set up. On a rough track I assume I would be even faster.

The steering rack other than price is not as nice as RCShox. I am all about tuning options and 2 extra holes has me covered at any track I will run at over the FT bar. Bearing pivots and flex free material are a bonus too.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
My stock shims measured right at .2mm
Then I picked up .3mm shims. lol

I knew I got thicker shims by .1mm over stock, but it's been so long I forgot.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default With Blue Front springs on Rear, back end kicks out

So I finally got on the bandwagon and put the Front Blue springs on the rear shocks. While it flew much better for me, I found the back end kicked out a lot with my driving style. I know everyones styles are different and I did get better with how the truck handled as the day went on, I can't help but feel switching the springs caused it to kick out. It's the only thing I changed. I'm running a RX8/Novak Ballistic 4.5T combo with the V1 center ball diff. I have 7k in the front diff, 5k in the rear. Front shocks have 30, rear shocks have 25. Running Suburbs MC tires and Hazard rims.

Any ideas how I can prevent the back end from kicking out on me? It'd kick out as I slowed down coming into corners. I generally coast into a corner and turn without using brakes at all. Where I really had an issue was coming into a sweeper after a long straightaway.

I also had what I believe is some traction roll going on. There's one corner where you make a 90 degree right hand turn, then another right hander down a hill right after. I found myself rolling over a lot as I can down that hill. Then you make a 180 turn to the left with some bumps in it. I found myself rolling a lot there too. I don't have any spacers under the ball studs. Would it help me to add that?

I really like the Blue Fronts in the back for better jumping, but not sure if I can handle the back end kicking out all the time. At least for my driving style.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Snafujg
So I finally got on the bandwagon and put the Front Blue springs on the rear shocks. While it flew much better for me, I found the back end kicked out a lot with my driving style. I know everyones styles are different and I did get better with how the truck handled as the day went on, I can't help but feel switching the springs caused it to kick out. It's the only thing I changed. I'm running a RX8/Novak Ballistic 4.5T combo with the V1 center ball diff. I have 7k in the front diff, 5k in the rear. Front shocks have 30, rear shocks have 25. Running Suburbs MC tires and Hazard rims.

Any ideas how I can prevent the back end from kicking out on me? It'd kick out as I slowed down coming into corners. I generally coast into a corner and turn without using brakes at all. Where I really had an issue was coming into a sweeper after a long straightaway.

I also had what I believe is some traction roll going on. There's one corner where you make a 90 degree right hand turn, then another right hander down a hill right after. I found myself rolling over a lot as I can down that hill. Then you make a 180 turn to the left with some bumps in it. I found myself rolling a lot there too. I don't have any spacers under the ball studs. Would it help me to add that?

I really like the Blue Fronts in the back for better jumping, but not sure if I can handle the back end kicking out all the time. At least for my driving style.
try the greens or the whites, the blues are the stiffest one and if your truck isnt heavy than they are probably too stiff.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I picked up a SC10 4x4 used roller 125.00
Tenshock 401 4600kv motor 75.00
B44.1 saddle pack kit 65.00
FT screw kit
RPM Rear skid plate
Lightweight front and rear upper shaft
Hitech 7985mg 55.00
I need to settle on a esc and battery, I have a few choices of ESC already RX8, Brushless Hobbies 120amp, Kinetic 2s ....as for battery I am hoping to get some GENS 5200 or 6000

Any input on things I may missed , which ESC to use, other battery choices. I want a have a well built race rig on a regular budget.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.