Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A couple of things come to mind...and please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not criticizing AE, this truck, or anything/anybody in the design team. But it is what it is.

Originally Posted by Evil Genius jr.
So if the front is so light why does someone not make a heavier front chassis section?
IMO because they designed it to work around/in high bite conditions like OC/RC, WCRC, and big races that they know are going to be high bite like the Reedy and the Spectrum race.

And they designed it to work around a 540 motor, IMO. I doubt anyone ever considered a 550 motor when they started this project.

And (I'm really going to catch hell for this) because the truck doesn't need extra weight. It just needs the weight in a different place. I put three oz of tungsten on the front section (and none in the back) but that only helps move the F/R balance about 1%. The real fix would be to put the motor in the front. Don't wait up for that one.

Engineering is all about trade offs. Do you want a chassis that is going to be fast in low bite conditions? It's going to blow chunks when the grip comes up. Associated knows what they are doing - they build chassis optimized for when the grip comes up, because they know if they win the big races, they will sell a lot of car kits.

The SC10 4x4 is a complex chassis with a lot of trade offs. We are supposed to be getting a local indoor track here soon, and I'm sure my truck is going to be fine there.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Watching those videos makes me want to leave work and go straight to the track..
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I agree with Craig, When bite is high there are not many if any SC's that can compete with me here. When the track gets dry that is when the Losi's come up to battle with me. With the V2 center diff it makes all the difference for me with this working on a lower bite track, but the lack of front weight is some of why the adjustable version v2 of the center diff was needed for the high bite track.(In my testing)

I did finally do the no oil in the shocks bouncy test of your's Craig and found that Blue fronts with White Shorty Rears and 30 grams behind the saddle pack make my truck bounce equal. (Moved the front shocks back to the middle hole too). Pushing on the weight center of the truck it would move equal down and up. Driving it felt about the same except a few key spots on the track that just made the truck a little more dependable.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

UPS left me a lil somethin'
Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

can we get a pic of the parts in the box?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
Does anyone know of a source for diff. outdrive oring seals instead of buying entire gear kit. Will the diff case gasket and oring kit for the 2wd work?
Yes the 2wd kit of o-rings will work. The SC10 4x4 manual tells you to buy a $15 diff rebuild kit which is a giant waste if you only need the o-rings.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Not sure how much you can tell from it, but here it is!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I disagree.

Big race weekends Hot Rod has awesome grip once it rubbers in - maybe the highest grip I've ever seen in an outdoor race. Look at the black groove that has formed. Maifield is running either barcodes or pressure points, something that only works there when the grip is up.

This is what Hot Rod usually looks like for a club race (read that, every day except for the Shootout, JBRL race, or the Reedy Race).

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

IMO, if you get your chassis to work at a club race, you're going to be hurting when they have a big race after it grooves up and starts to take rubber.

Also, they had all the FT parts at that race.
Thanks for the clarification. Just looked at their setup sheets. They did have the ft parts.

I'm wondering if it was slick or high bite? They indicated on their setup sheet that it was slick and medium to low traction. I guess they had a typo?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

also got this
Old 03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SOuthernFRIED
iam in love nice got to save up for one
Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nice!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
A couple of things come to mind...and please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not criticizing AE, this truck, or anything/anybody in the design team. But it is what it is.

IMO because they designed it to work around/in high bite conditions like OC/RC, WCRC, and big races that they know are going to be high bite like the Reedy and the Spectrum race.

And they designed it to work around a 540 motor, IMO. I doubt anyone ever considered a 550 motor when they started this project.

And (I'm really going to catch hell for this) because the truck doesn't need extra weight. It just needs the weight in a different place. I put three oz of tungsten on the front section (and none in the back) but that only helps move the F/R balance about 1%. The real fix would be to put the motor in the front. Don't wait up for that one.

Engineering is all about trade offs. Do you want a chassis that is going to be fast in low bite conditions? It's going to blow chunks when the grip comes up. Associated knows what they are doing - they build chassis optimized for when the grip comes up, because they know if they win the big races, they will sell a lot of car kits.

The SC10 4x4 is a complex chassis with a lot of trade offs. We are supposed to be getting a local indoor track here soon, and I'm sure my truck is going to be fine there.
+1
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

also got this
Your going to love that motor.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Have only heard high praise of the Tenshock! I'm really excited about running it. I got the 4600kv, gonna pair it up with the Tekin RX8... 12t sound like a decent start on a pinion?

Also going with 32.5/27 on the shocks.. 5/3 on the diffs.. and the blue FR spring on the rear.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I havent gotten a good look at the FT kit.....steering servo any easier to change compared the the standard 4x4?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.