Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Cain
In your opinion WC, what should be done to eliminate the clicking of the diff gears? Saw that yesterday on a guy with a pretty new SC10 4x4.
Will need to take apart and use the correct shims as advised in instructions....

If the case is well used, bushings worn & leaking bad ?

Will need to replace diff case & seals ..
Gears can be used again if in good condition..
Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
I have been slowly building my new FT kit and thought I would point out a few things. These may have already been covered but I am not reading through 20000 posts. Screws are very tight going in when assembling(to the point I was worried about snapping heads off)and I recommend using a soap or other lubricant for threads. Steering post that retains bellcrank and servo saver needs to be checked frequently when tightening screw through chassis brace pivot for torquing of plastic that in turn binds up steering. Also found very small brass chips in diff housings that need to be thoroughly cleaned and blown out with compressed air. I went ahead and washed all metal diff parts in denatured alcohol to verify clean and assembled diffs dry to check for proper shimming of side and planet gears. I found plastic fingers on diff housing cap to be too long causing planet gears to be forced into side gear in diff cup when case tightened and causing notchy feeling and binding in diff. These fingers need some material removed for proper operation and no binding in diffs. Question, what side of the case have people seen failing under normal use, the deep cup side? This is as far as I have gotten but I will be updating as I continue build.
Hmmm I had no issues at all with the screws, they all went in just fine with no feeling of binding or anything..........
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

is there a new top shaft in the ft kit for the new slipper set up?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Is it a bad sign that Associated didn't enter their big guns into the 4x4 class at the Cactus Classic? I would think so....

Some say priorities, then their priority is not with the 4x4 especially since they just released the FT edition. This is really bad news, just shows they have no confidence in their design to win the race. Time to cut their losses?

It sends a really bad message to everyone that owns one of these things. Basically the chassis is inferior and we don't want to get spanked in public? I know everyone here feels the truck is one of the best and I love dumping money into mine but man this bums me out.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Legend

You should of watched
Kody win the third round of 2w Sc at the Cactus, proves he just as fast as the so called best .....

So If you ask me Ae did use at least one of their best drivers for the 4w .
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Gear diff seals # 9831

will fit 4w diff

2w uses 48p gears
4w uses 32p gears
4w uses #91005 gear case
2w uses #9828 gear case
Thanks Cherry, some good info there.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
Question, what side of the case have people seen failing under normal use, the deep cup side? This is as far as I have gotten but I will be updating as I continue build.
I had an issue with both sides of the diff. The outdrive cups will come in contact with the rear a arm if you dont use a spacer clip on the shock shaft to limit up travel. The a arm comes up into the cup and tweaks it upward making the washer behind the sun gears concave. That allows more slop in the diff gear mesh and you will start to hear clicking or skipping gears from the rear diff.

I just changed to rpm arms and there is no interference issues without the travel limiting clips. I have full up travel and no more thrashed diff washers.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The same two guys won all the Mod classes they entered. AE (I think had) won in 9 different classes. So Great job by the Ryan's and the other people rep'n them in the spec classes. Just like any form of racing I want to see my RC hero's race the chassis I drive. Can't help by think if Ryan won the other classes he would have podiumed in 4w SC too or at least made a race out of it. At this level where you start is big when finishing and starting in the back was tough for any racer. So great Job to Kody and Max for doing their best and thanks for racing the class at least.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VegasHB
Is it a bad sign that Associated didn't enter their big guns into the 4x4 class at the Cactus Classic? I would think so....

Some say priorities, then their priority is not with the 4x4 especially since they just released the FT edition. This is really bad news, just shows they have no confidence in their design to win the race. Time to cut their losses?

It sends a really bad message to everyone that owns one of these things. Basically the chassis is inferior and we don't want to get spanked in public? I know everyone here feels the truck is one of the best and I love dumping money into mine but man this bums me out.
I really don't see an issue with them not entering their best drivers into the 4x4 sct........ They had their own reasons for not entering, and whatever that reason is, shouldn't be judged by us........
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
I really don't see an issue with them not entering their best drivers into the 4x4 sct........ They had their own reasons for not entering, and whatever that reason is, shouldn't be judged by us........
I am amazed that they can wrench on 4 different chassis and get them all to the front like they do.

I am way to old to pull that off.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB

I've been thinking about this issue also.

It makes me wonder if ae wanted their 2 top drivers (i.e. maifield and cavalieri) to specifically beat losi's newer 22 2wd buggy and 22t mod truck. Both of those classes were loaded with the top drivers from both companies. If 4 classes was the max, then it comes down to 4wd buggy, 2wd sct, & 4wd sct. Given the changing track conditions at cactus this year, they probably wanted to go with classes they had more experience with, i.e. 2wd sct & 4wd buggy.

I could be way off base here though.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
I am amazed that they can wrench on 4 different chassis and get them all to the front like they do.

I am way to old to pull that off.
LOL for reals, the most I'd enter would be 2, to ask them to do 5 or more is crazy. But I agree it would have been nice to see the Ryan's enter the 4x4 sct and find out their setup's, but I'm not going to go as far as be worried about why they didn't enter and it being a bad omen for all of us that own the sc10 4x4.......
Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Will need to take apart and use the correct shims as advised in instructions....

If the case is well used, bushings worn & leaking bad ?

Will need to replace diff case & seals ..
Gears can be used again if in good condition..
This was an RTR AE SC104x4 that had the issue at the track yesterday. Are they coming built incorrectly? Pretty new vehicle too.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Shouldn't it? You can turn a blind eye I guess but the writing is on the wall to me.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Legend

I hear things and can insure everyone Ae has not stopped working on improvements with the Sc 10 4w performance .......

Cain

Still have to take apart to find the problems

If you find concave shims or missing shims they will need to be replaced , I don't think the cases are coming assembled incorrectly, although just maybe in this case something is missing or bent, ect ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.