Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boborc
Just need an honest opinion. Do the saddle packs make that much of a difference that it is s must have. Or is the stick pack good enough for a club racer. Just want to know if it is worth the investment???
I'm "fast" with my sticks. But it's a fact at this point that the saddles make the truck handle far better.

Club level, it will depend on the skill level at your club. You might need it to keep up.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
I found that I liked the white front springs on the rear even more after we chatted but with the two stage pistons I had too much rebound but it was better everywhere else but landing the big jumps. Easy fix though. It did jump considerably better. We have a new layout now and we will see if it works on the new layout too.
That was my experience too. It's really crazy with yellows! Frankly, I thought it needed more pack everywhere. My plan is to try a "square" setup next time (same pistons/springs/oil) on all four and go from there. Once I get that dialed in closer, I'm going to attempt to lower the ride height until I can't drive it anymore.

Originally Posted by Cain
I wonder how much bias you get when the foward style saddle pack conversion from exotek is used?
I can calculate it if you want, but the answer is not much. THe Exotek chassis puts weight in the middle of the chassis, which adds front weight, but also adds a significant percentage on the rear. All my weight is between the servo and the shock tower or on the front bumper. My truck has had saddles since the beginning, sort of (dual 1c batteries out of a 1/12th scale car).

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
For drive I ran a clutch basket with HD pads. We tried our own version of a center diff, and while it felt good through the corners and rough sections, it suffered leading up to jumps, it felt like it was diffing out. It's almost like an 8th scale with too light of a center fluid/ empty center diff.
I was worried about that. On my 1/10th oval car we have pinned diff rings, with 17.5 1 cell I can turn the diff rings on the axle if I leave the pin out. That's like, what, 80 watts compared to 900 watts if you're running a 550?

Another thing that I think suited the track was light diff fluid. Running 3k rear 5k front. This is what I run on my SCTE, so I figured I would give it a shot. I still am not sure about it, have to run it in more, but so far I have liked it.

Now I am just waiting on a pinned top shaft to try that again. We'll see. At least the jumps are doable. I do think that part of the problem on the jump is that the right line to take is only about 3 ft wide. This is really hard to hit every time correctly on a track this size.
The truck jumps big jumps much better with the front pinned/decoupled. However, I felt it cost the truck mid corner speed compared to the decoupled setup wasn't worth the trade off - EXCEPT I am running 30K/5K in the diffs.

I think you're on the right track.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Just need an honest opinion. Do the saddle packs make that much of a difference that it is s must have. Or is the stick pack good enough for a club racer. Just want to know if it is worth the investment???
For club racing it's not necessary.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

If I was going to run sticks, I'd run between 4-5 oz of stick on weight against the servo bulkhead, stacked as far left, low, and forward as I could get it. Add static LF weight and counterbalance the motor in the LR.

This might sound backwards, but I'm thinking that going to saddles might not be the best thing ever in this truck. If you cleared out the LF of the chassis where the batteries are, you could really ballast the truck up in the right part of it. I'm not convinced that would be the best situation if you ran mostly indoor, but outdoor....
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default diff balls

okay thanks for the answers
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
"goes fine" and "can accellerate consistently like a 3 dif truck" are two entirely different things.

I ran all year last year with any combination of standard and HD pads, and it was the same thing. Even with washers under the spring to let it fully compress before bottoming out the nut, I'd have a hard time clearing the double we have after a sharp corner near the end of the race, and the pads would be at least partially glazed....I spent more time ripping apart my dif and resanding the pads between races than I did charging batteries.... Switched to Garodiscs and haven't had the fading or glazing problem since. (If the stock slipper was perfect, then they wouldn't have changed it for the FT truck...just saying.)

Goes fine meaning it does accellerate consistently and no fade with the stock slipper. Im talking about the RTR yeh. Thats what the original guy I replyed to was asking about. It has less power than what 99% are using on here.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Rookie

I have never had much issue about the truck jumping. My personal feeling, which is not the end all, be all with this truck is that it lacks grip. On smaller tracks, this is not a very big issue because high power motors are not needed to get around the track quickly, but on the big tracks, the problem is exacerbated. If you can't get the power down, you can't get speed to get the jumping distance.

The truck lacks a proper power distribution system. The slipper set up is not great and the center ball diffs slip with high power and or high grip. Even when running a triple clutch, the power is not distributing to all 4 wheels equally. The front always receives less power with the decoupled set-up and receives more power with the center diff set-up. Neither is really optimal.

The Center of Gravity is high. Even with heavy aluminum chassis, the truck still has a high center of gravity relative to the other race trucks in the market. Again, on high speed, big tracks, this is a hindrance.

Lastly; messed up roll centers. The truck has really low roll centers, and high CG. This is the combination of death. Top that off with a heavy lexan body and it's not a good combo. You are stuck running too stiff of a spring to keep the truck from dumping over in the corners, which leads to no forward bite.

These issues are null/ or close to null on higher grip indoor tracks. But on low grip tracks or big tracks, the truck's weaknesses are exposed.
+10... it seems like ae just rushed on this to get a piece of the 4x4 sc market. I believe what mantis said about ae downgrading this to a junior and making another sc based off the rc8e is soon to come.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by x2racer
+10... it seems like ae just rushed on this to get a piece of the 4x4 sc market. I believe what mantis said about ae downgrading this to a junior and making another sc based off the rc8e is soon to come.
They didn't "rush" anything.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

have you guys that are making center diffs tried something like the NTC3 ATD diff setup?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CoyoteSlash
They didn't "rush" anything.
I hope not. But just coming from So Cal and racing at revelation, hot rod and jcp many excellent drivers has sold there ae to either get a losi, nexx or durango. Because of the multiple so called hop ups to get this truck dialed. Just stating what i experienced first hand.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

I hope not. But just coming from So Cal and racing at revelation, hot rod and jcp many excellent drivers has sold there ae to either get a losi, nexx or durango. Because of the multiple so called hop ups to get this truck dialed. Just stating what i experienced first hand.
I hear ya. But the problem was never AE "rushing" this platform. There's more involved.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

"Rushed?" Nah.

They just built it around a 540 can, with indoor tracks in mind.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

chris,thanx for the bars, i got them today
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I agree with everyone that the SC10 4x4 is not perfect out of the box and has taken alot of mods and upgrades (thanks mantis, and to all the others) to make it better. However those that just want to complain need to understand that the sc10 4x4 is an almost whole new design from the ground up, I expected there to be issues with it but that's one thing I love about my SC10 is to find ways of making it better. Comparing it to the Losi SCTE isn't fair because its based off their previous versions (ten-t, 810, 8ight, etc) so of course its going to have far more advantages and be better out of the box, yet they are spending just as much time and money trying to make it even better just the same with the SC10 (to me thats the fun part)

I do feel that AE will come out with a better version after alot of testing/experimenting (new factory kit is proof of that). They've done it in the past and continue to do so today (b4.1 world kit for example)........

Once again I'd like to thank Mantis, MTK, and everyone else that has helped to make my SC10 better..... I just installed my ackbar and center diff so I can't wait to rip it up at the track this weekend.........
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
However those that just want to complain, complain, complain need to understand that the sc10 4x4 is an almost whole new design from the ground up, I expected there to be issues with it but that's one thing I love about my SC10 is to find ways of making it better.
Complaining is one thing. Constructively identifying problems, discussing them, trying solutions, and discussing the results is another. This is precisely how you do development work.

Facts are facts - the shaft drive trucks pwn the AE bunch outdoor if the track is loose, rough, or the grip is low. The truck isn't possessed - collectively, nobody has a good setup for that situation. Collectively, we can get a whole lot more done than singularly to reach that goal - but that requires us to man up and acknowledge the problems.

IMO, I don't see anyone sport b*tching lately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.