Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sugs
Anyone have any issues with the front CVA pin retainer wearing to the point that it backs off just enough for the pin to fall out? Had this happen to me this weekend before my 2nd qualifier. No amount of shimming would solve it, only a brand new retainer stopped the problem. Looking at the old one I can't tell where it wore out.
That has not happened to me, but it did happen to a buddy of mine.

Comparing trucks the only difference was I always lube the whole axle/retainer cover/CVD assembly every time I do maintenance. His was dry. I use that Lucas "Sticky" red grease.

Maybe there was accelerated parts wear due to lack of lubrication? Just speculating.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by FRONTI3R
Do you think we will need the Bronze Idler gear once we have your adjustable Cetre diff Top shaft?
To this day no one has thrashed and idler gear with the center dif But with that being said i chewed one up yesterday. i also had a 4600 with a bunch of timing , geared to the moon and dif was on full lock so it was extreme! Thing is though even with that much power it was very controllable and I dont want to be limited by and idler gear for how much power i can run. Its just some feedback to see what you guys think. I cannot make them and would have to order at least 100 of them to get pricing reasonable so it would be an investment on my end.

this is the track i will be running on this weekend, more high speed far jumps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyW37...layer_embedded
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

What about a Delrin idler gear? I'd rather something like that TBH. Be a lot stronger, lighter than brass and probably a lot cheaper to make.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
this is the track i will be running on this weekend, more high speed far jumps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyW37...layer_embedded
Man I really liked the Alvin track at the State Series finals, shame it rained out.

I'm headed up to Indy this weekend for the Icebreaker, you should go out there man. Always a great race.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thing is though even with that much power it was very controllable and I dont want to be limited by and idler gear for how much power i can run. Its just some feedback to see what you guys think.
Exactly what I was thinking. "dont want to be limited by and idler gear"

I also run the 4600 Pro 4. I wouldn't want a weak point.

So what ever "Improved" Idler gear you decide on... I will want to run it! It would be a "Peace of Mind" part too. I would rather up-grade than replace any day!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mizchief
Anyone ever try motocycle chain lube on their tires? Sounds a bit counter-intutive at first, but it's basically designed more to clean off grime and recondition the orings on the chain as the actual lubercant is sealed inside the chain via those o-rings

It also has a tacky element added to keep it from flying off the chain at high speeds. So in one can you have cleaner, ruber conditioner, and sticky.

I just put some on my stock bashing tires and some old calibers I need to throw out soon anway. Haven't tried them on the truck, but the stock tires seem to actually have grip now, and the calibers feel like bubble gum where they were about to be thrown away.
After about an hour of drying a lot of the stickyness went away on the stock tire, but the caliber's were still tacky

I ran on the street with the stock tires for a bit and it seemed to work pretty well I was pushing though turns I normally would have broke the rear end loose with and did really well under accelration. After one pack the tire didn't feel sticky at all anymore, but the rubber was still soft and pliable.

I don't think this is something I would use track-side just yet as i'm not sure how it would affect the racing surface (can't be worse than wd-40), but as an after-race restore/reconditioning product it may work pretty well. The tires i've applied it on look and feel brand new with a little bit if of a tacky feeling and no overpowering smell.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FRONTI3R
Exactly what I was thinking. "dont want to be limited by and idler gear"

I also run the 4600 Pro 4. I wouldn't want a weak point.

So what ever "Improved" Idler gear you decide on... I will want to run it! It would be a "Peace of Mind" part too. I would rather up-grade than replace any day!
My only reservation to an improved idler, is make sure we aren't just moving the problem to a more expensive item to replace like the diff case or shaft (I've had the gear break loose from the shaft before)

The idea is for it to be the strongest weak link it can be.

Something else I would like in an idler is a way to know when it needs to be replaced prior to it failing completely. Right now I just compare to a new one and make a judgement call when the old one looks noticeably worse than new.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Man I really liked the Alvin track at the State Series finals, shame it rained out.

I'm headed up to Indy this weekend for the Icebreaker, you should go out there man. Always a great race.

good points from all, i was wondering if a stronger idler would just spread the damage somewhere else but its such a jaded line between failure that delrin may just be the ticket and it would be much cheaper to have made.

Jeff that vid i posted is the track that is hosting our HARC series race so i need to make it to stay in the series standings!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I drove a SC10 4x4 for the first time on Saturday. A friend of mine let me drive his. All I can say is "Wow". What a fun truck. I really don't get why everyone has a 4.5. I thought the 5.5 was more than enough power and probably more controllable. The larger motor would make more sense on a large track. On a med/small track, 4.5 must be total overkill.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

good points from all, i was wondering if a stronger idler would just spread the damage somewhere else but its such a jaded line between failure that delrin may just be the ticket and it would be much cheaper to have made.

Jeff that vid i posted is the track that is hosting our HARC series race so i need to make it to stay in the series standings!
OH yeah, I always forget about the HARC races since it's not local to me.

Good luck man .
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Yay my truck is comin back home!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
I drove a SC10 4x4 for the first time on Saturday. A friend of mine let me drive his. All I can say is "Wow". What a fun truck. I really don't get why everyone has a 4.5. I thought the 5.5 was more than enough power and probably more controllable. The larger motor would make more sense on a large track. On a med/small track, 4.5 must be total overkill.
Sup bro, so does this mean there will be a new factory team sc10 4x4 added to your collection?

I hope to make it back to revelation's again, just gotta find the time off from work.......
Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

False alarm!! my idler is fine, it was the spur!!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

False alarm!! my idler is fine, it was the spur!!
In any case, i've just been running the MTK basket(nut flush, HD pad for front & stock + HD pad for rear) paired with a Hi-Torque Ballistic 4.5 and eat idler gears at least once a month. Yes it may be a high-bite track and my driving style i would say is fairly aggressive but it'd be nice to push the truck around like any other SC truck and not worry about my rear gearbox idler gear every time i race. Even outdoors on a loose track it cost me a trophy race after TQ and leading before the last 3 laps where the idler shitted on me Oh and i've also tried the hotracing steel idler and that lasted longer but eventually went out as well. I think delrin sounds like it may be the answer. Something definately stronger than the stock material is needed but nothing that'll divert the tranny stress to something else.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redbeard
Haven't broken one of those yet - although I went through a few dogbones and couple shock shafts before I realized I was dealing with a set of of those AE stock spaghetti arms. Anyway, just curious if you put some black grease in your servo saver when you assembled the truck? I know I did, but when I disassembled it recently you'd think I hadn't. Maybe yours got gritted up or dried out?
I broke a steering arm the same as that. $h!t happens, replace and run.

I think it failed over time and just a touch from another truck broke it so it was failing before then. No big deal sometimes stuff brakes now I know to check it every so often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.